Titans Resign Ryan Tannehill

Titans fan 617

Just now, ttitansfan4life said:

I think we’re drafting a QB with a deal like that. Fromm... Welcome to Nashville!!! 😂

I really really hope we don’t make some stupid mistake like drafting a guy like Fromm/Hurts and then having to deal with their eventual “opportunity”

• Like 1

It’s basically a 1 year deal or a 3 year deal so this is how I see it.

If he flops next year, proving last year was a fluke, then cut him and spread the 24m dead cap over the next 2 years. We can either draft a rookie QB this year or next year that can take over the helm and eating the dead money won’t be a problem with a QB on a rookie deal.

If he doesn’t flop and he proves that he is the guy, then another 2-3 years with him at the helm is a good thing.

4 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

If he flops next year, proving last year was a fluke, then cut him and spread the 24m dead cap over the next 2 years. We can either draft a rookie QB this year or next year that can take over the helm and eating the dead money won’t be a problem with a QB on a rookie deal.

If he doesn’t flop and he proves that he is the guy, then another 2-3 years with him at the helm is a good thing.

I don’t really see how it’s a one or three. Second year is fully guaranteed with only injury guarantees after.

19 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

You're mostly right. 

We have to make a decision next March if we want him in 2022. If we do, then year 3 is guaranteed. If we don't, then we cut him and have to absorb his guaranteed 2021 salary. 

Thing is, salaries are not prorated... So that 2021 number would all be applied in 2021.

Which leaves my next issue... Those numbers showing look to be his salaries only. Its only 42M of his 61M in fully guaranteed guarantees... And 71M of the 91M for injury. 

So that tells me there's 19M guaranteed in bonuses... Whether they went exclusively SB or used rb's as well is left to be seen. 

But if they used the SB exclusively, then were looking at 5M per year prorated... Making his cap hits 22.5, 29.5, 34.5, and 32.5... 

So if they cut him after 1 year... There would be a dead hit of 29.5 in year 2 and 10M in year 3...and that's the 61M in full guarantees.

So it's a 1 year 61M contract or a 3 year 94M contract... Somewhere along those lines. 

Edited by ragevsuall17
  • Like 1

We do need to see growth from Ryan. We can't depend on Play-Action for all our passing offense. 
I feel I saw something on throws without play action he was average to slightly above average at best.

So Him and Arthur Smith need to mature this passing game. 

I also feel like this was going to be Marcus' money slot if he had a productive season. So Robinson stays on budget and goes forward with his plan. 

Good front office skills.

Tanny is our guy. Let's do this thing!

2 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

We do need to see growth from Ryan. We can't depend on Play-Action for all our passing offense. 
I feel I saw something on throws without play action he was average to slightly above average at best.

So Him and Arthur Smith need to mature this passing game. 

I also feel like this was going to be Marcus' money slot if he had a productive season. So Robinson stays on budget and goes forward with his plan. 

Good front office skills.

Tanny is our guy. Let's do this thing!

Tannehill was #1 in the NFL in play action passer rating and #4 in the NFL in non-play action passer rating(among qualifying QBs).

The splits:

KtZBPBk.png

The people above him in non-PA passes:

NrRGs5d.png

2 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

Tannehill was #1 in the NFL in play action passer rating and #4 in the NFL in non-play action passer rating(among qualifying QBs).

The splits:

KtZBPBk.png

The people above him in non-PA passes:

NrRGs5d.png

It was a QBR thing. Do you know where he landed in that stat?
Edit:

Nevermind found it.  9th it appears. 

OH well. it was one of the talking heads on ESPN that spouted out something about him being worst in that area. 

2 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

It was a QBR thing. Do you know where he landed in that stat?

Not a clue. Looking at the splits page for him on ESPN, they don't even put QBR in their splits(nor do they have PA and non-PA listed anyway). Only thing I can see about his QBR is that it was 62.2 for the year, which ranked 9th for them.

Let's not kid ourselves, if he regresses significantly or gets hurt, this is a way worse deal than the Jags made with Bortles and Foles. 

We're married to him for 3 years minimum, at 90M+...any kind of regression will make this a questionable deal. With this contract, he's going to need to carry this team and prevent teams from stacking the box against Henry. 

Guaranteeing more than 2 years is risky, especially at 30M per, guaranteed.  If Brady gets 2 years with under 60 guaranteed, it'll make this contract look worse. 

And worst of all, its only 5M less in 2020 than the tag would have cost (less if some of that money is another type of guaranteed bonus this year). 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Let's not kid ourselves, if he regresses significantly or gets hurt, this is a way worse deal than the Jags made with Bortles and Foles. 

We're married to him for 3 years minimum, at 90M+...any kind of regression will make this a questionable deal. With this contract, he's going to need to carry this team and prevent teams from stacking the box against Henry. 

Guaranteeing more than 2 years is risky, especially at 30M per, guaranteed.  If Brady gets 2 years with under 60 guaranteed, it'll make this contract look worse. 

And worst of all, its only 5M less in 2020 than the tag would have cost (less if some of that money is another type of guaranteed bonus this year). 

My concern is not only does he come back down to Earth, but the offense as a whole doesn't mature.  It takes the "we were so go mindset, why change?" attitude. It needs to get better passing the ball with design and execution. 
If Tanny does get hurt, what is our plan? Do we have a back up option that can win us games? Or is it Tanny or bust. 

I think with this deal, it's Tanny or nothing. He is OUR "franchise QB."  Maybe not one for every team, but he is OURS.  
He just has to produce like it. Mature the offense, keep it growing.