Jump to content

Vikings extend QB Kirk Cousins (Two years)


RaidersAreOne
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

Very simplistic statement. 
i mean one can say .. if the Vikings offense had scored just one more TD in two weeks there’d be playing this weekend. 

basically, there was/is plenty more wrong with this team 

 

What could be more simplistic than blaming it all on the Quarterback? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

Agreed HC candidates are likely not going to say “Cousins is terrible, get him off the roster!”. HCs need to show a willingness to work/play Cousins because no one knows if the eventually GM will even be able to trade him away. 

GM's two key challenges:

Find defensive players to upgrade per the new HC's desire.

Fix salary cap problems; see Cousins, Barr, ... 1 or 2 DL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Purplexing said:

GM's two key challenges:

Find defensive players to upgrade per the new HC's desire.

Fix salary cap problems; see Cousins, Barr, ... 1 or 2 DL.

I think understanding the direction of what happens with Cousins is the primary challenge. That really is decision #1, and pretty much a direction will need to internally decided on (sure, factoring potential input from Cousins/agents) by Valentine’s Day. Do we a) trade Cousins (by end of February), b) do we keep Cousins at $45M hit (along with cutting overpriced D players) or do we c) plan for a combination of keeping Cousins at $45M cap hit Plus possible extension/added void years IF in early March we are given a 100% commitment from a Tier One Free Agent (at a longterm important roster need) that they will sign if we have sufficient cap room (that we don’t have, if we kept Cousins at $45M cap). 
 

everything after that is more so secondary (to me), in terms of other current viking free agents (over ~$2-3M AAV)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Throughout the year, Cousins played more than well-enough to win in 14 of 17 games.  I think the need to have him in there next year and get the defense right.

I feel like, given Kendricks' very politically correct statements, the players played just right to lose the right number of games.   

Had they wanted the playoffs and keeping Zimmer as HC, they would've won more games they could have.   Early on, I don't think Cook intentionally fumbled in Cincy and Joseph missing the kick(s) were planned/coordinated.    But, that play in Detroit, the loss to Dallas, the loss to the Rams . . . I could believe a tale of sabotage.

So, if the ownership truly believes in the player corps, and those players put $.30 of every dollar gross revenue into the Wilf's coffers, the Wilfs will tell the new staff who's staying.    Bryz is a major part of that.

Now, Cousins' current hit is ridiculous and not appropriate.   He's made north of $100M in his career . . . So, is he willing to do what it takes to win?  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ArcticNorseman said:

Now, Cousins' current hit is ridiculous and not appropriate.   He's made north of $100M in his career . . . So, is he willing to do what it takes to win? 

Cousins doesn’t/shouldn’t take a real pay cut since his salary is guaranteed. The GM needs to figure out what to do with that Cap hit 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

Cousins doesn’t/shouldn’t take a real pay cut since his salary is guaranteed. The GM needs to figure out what to do with that Cap hit 

I didn't say take a pay cut.   For example, the team could extend him 3 more years with X$ guaranteed, but not the whole thing.   They could chuck him a signing bonus of monstrous proportion and spread that over 4 years.   Theoretically, he would get $90 million +, but only count $20-25m against the cap (which is still plenty high). 

The only other option I'm thinking they have is to trade him for a player or pick and eat about 1/2 of that $45M hit.   

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, ArcticNorseman said:

I didn't say take a pay cut.   For example, the team could extend him 3 more years with X$ guaranteed, but not the whole thing.   They could chuck him a signing bonus of monstrous proportion and spread that over 4 years.   Theoretically, he would get $90 million +, but only count $20-25m against the cap (which is still plenty high). 

The only other option I'm thinking they have is to trade him for a player or pick and eat about 1/2 of that $45M hit.   

 

I’d be pretty against this kind of extension personally. I rather trade Cousins and eat $10-20M of his 2022 cap hit. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

I’d be pretty against this kind of extension personally. I rather trade Cousins and eat $10-20M of his 2022 cap hit. 

IF teams don't like Cousins cap hit they can be responsible for giving him a new deal I don't see how that is the Vikings job.

When you will have to add a stopgap veteran you cannot eat that much cap  it defeats any purpose of moving on from Cousins if you are just paying the same relative amount with the end result being a lesser QB then Cousins.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, solidvikingfan said:

IF teams don't like Cousins cap hit they can be responsible for giving him a new deal I don't see how that is the Vikings job.

When you will have to add a stopgap veteran you cannot eat that much cap  it defeats any purpose of moving on from Cousins if you are just paying the same relative amount with the end result being a lesser QB then Cousins.

For the right amount of draft compensation Id be willing to eat extra Cap hit of Cousins in 2022

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, solidvikingfan said:

IF teams don't like Cousins cap hit they can be responsible for giving him a new deal I don't see how that is the Vikings job.

When you will have to add a stopgap veteran you cannot eat that much cap  it defeats any purpose of moving on from Cousins if you are just paying the same relative amount with the end result being a lesser QB then Cousins.

I'm thinking the only way Cousins is moved is if they entice someone that it's worth their while to make a trade.    If the Vikes ate a bunch of the cap, they'd have to be confident in someone on a rookie deal.   Its the only way I see the dollars getting stretched enough.   

In the end, I hope the Vikings win . . . Whether Cousins is QB or not.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...