Vikings extend QB Kirk Cousins (Two years)

RaidersAreOne

JJ can be "tight" with Baker Mayfield...and have half the stats.

He can be "tight" with Teddy Bridgewater...and have half the stats.

He realizes this. I think he also realizes that Kirk wasn't the reason they lost this year. 

I don't think there is any "schism." I think it's a lot of speculation from people who just don't want Cousins to be the Quarterback and are justifying it with scenarios they invent themselves.

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

He realizes this. I think he also realizes that Kirk wasn't the reason they lost this year. 

I don't think there is any "schism." I think it's a lot of speculation from people who just don't want Cousins to be the Quarterback and are justifying it with scenarios they invent themselves.

Cousins isn’t why we lost. My only contention with Cousins is his salary against the cap which is prohibitive to filling out a competitive roster in 2022.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, marshpit23 said:

Cousins isn’t why we lost. My only contention with Cousins is his salary against the cap which is prohibitive to filling out a competitive roster in 2022.

Underperforming contracts like Barr, Hunter, Smith, and Kendricks are far more prohibitive than Cousins’ contract. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

I'm not speculating because I don't want Cousins to be the QB.  To suggest so is twisting my words into something I haven't ever said.  His contract is a significant issue, but it has certainly been intimated on various occasions that there is a disconnect between Jefferson and Cousins.  That can't be ignored nor discounted just because you don't believe it.  And certainly he could be tight with those you mentioned and have half the yards...but that's not the point.  Locker room culture is important to the success of any team, as it is to any business. At the end of the day, are you going to be happy with your lot in life or the place you are if you just feel so-so about the people you work with?  Maybe you can do so, but it certainly can help if you connect with the people you work with.   I don't view it as a real "schism" per se, but a disconnect.  Things are fine, but it could be much better.  I personally infer from the statements that Jefferson has made that he is one of those types of people that needs that.  Maybe you believe I'm reading too much into that...that's fine, it's only my opinion.  I could certainly be way off-base...just as one poster earlier today who liked a post I made 2 years ago in the draft thread where I said I had no interest in Justin Jefferson in the first place.  😆

I hope the Vikings move on from Kirk this offseason. Kirk is a good QB with great arm talent. Some of the blame he gets is not fair and he's not a bad QB. His late 4th QT has been much better this year. However, he's not a difference maker and leadership skills is subpar. Kirk couldn't be trusted to call timeouts or full audible abilities. For being an pocket passer his pocket awareness is on Sam Bradford level of bad. Honestly, for what he makes you need too many great things for him to succeed. Whenever there has been criticism about Kirk not winning Between his time here and Washington. It's he needs a great OL, good weapons, good defense, a run game, limit his passing attempts and smart offensive minded coach. Look any team need most of these to happen for a chance to win a SuperBowl. However, when a QB is the leader and taking so much cap space he will have to overcome not having some of these core assets. Once again he's not a bad QB but not a good fit for a retool. Kirk would be a good fit for the Steelers where the leader is Tomlin and a do your job mentality.     

What Cousins needs most isn't ..... improved leadership skills, lack of a schism with Jefferson, greater passion, greater pocket awareness, greater mobility, .... etc.

He needs a GM and coach who can put on the field a very good defense that holds opponents to as few points as can reasonably be expected in the NFL.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Purplexing said:

What Cousins needs most isn't ..... improved leadership skills, lack of a schism with Jefferson, greater passion, greater pocket awareness, greater mobility, .... etc.

He needs a GM and coach who can put on the field a very good defense that holds opponents to as few points as can reasonably be expected in the NFL.

Keeping the winless Lions out of the end zone with seconds left would be a great start. How many leads did we blow after the offense put the team in position to win.

Edited by vikingsrule
  • Like 6

54 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Keeping the winless Lions out of the end zone with seconds left would be a great start. How many leads did we blow after the offense put the team in position to win.

Yup, we are a Dalvin Cook “non” fumble, and a lions blown lead away from the playoffs. 

His pocket presence issues are largely overstated.

I think a large part of the issue with Kirk is that the Vikings invested a premium at QB and WR but have not done enough to shore up the interior of the offensive line. There are multiple plays per game where the center and/or guard would get beat so effortlessly that Kirk did not have time to throw. I think that constant and consistent pressure caused Kirk to speed up his reads too much by the end of the year, so the Vikings got wonderful throws to CJ Ham far too often.

That said, a large vote of my reason to keep Kirk is that I don't think there are any QBs better available in this year's draft and I think there MIGHT be two next year. So the Vikings would need a top five pick to get one. So in my mind it is far easier to actually build and scheme around Kirk than it is to try and take a big swing at a better QB.

1 hour ago, Nozizaki said:

His pocket presence issues are largely overstated.

I wouldn’t call them overstated. It is one of his bigger weaknesses. But I will say that it’s something he’s clearly worked on over the past couple of seasons, as it’s gotten better each year he’s been with the Vikings. 

But, it’s very obvious that the instinctive “feel for the pocket” is not something that Cousins has. 

But I will agree, since signing Cousins, this team has not done what is necessary to make sure Cousins has the best possible pocket. Which has always frustrated me.