Vikings extend QB Kirk Cousins (Two years)

RaidersAreOne

51 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Nice job @SemperFeist of getting specifically called out by AJ.  🤣

I find all of the replies to my tweet hilarious. Vikings fans acting as though Trubisky was complete trash and completely ignoring that he went 5-2 against Mike Zimmer’s defenses. 

Plus, my mentioning of Trubisky was solely dependent on the hiring of Daboll. As he’d be a veteran QB familiar with the coach. 

Edited by SemperFeist

42 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

He is a stop gap essentially. There’s no QB worth drafting to peg as a “franchise QB” in this years draft. So avoiding the temptation to invest a high draft pick in a QB this year is probably a good thing.

Ultimately it’s way to get out from under Cousins’ contract without bottoming out at the position. If Mayfield proves himself and finds a home here, great. If not you move on with no penalty. 

I don’t know, seems we hear this a lot that there’s no franchise QBs. Like the 2018 draft with Mahomes and Watson falling out of the top 10. Even Josh Allen and Justin Herbert weren’t seen as sure thing franchise QBs. Have to take chances as we won’t be in position for a sure thing. And that’s my concern. Settling for the safe veteran option rather than making a franchise altering move at QB. 

Edited by vikingsrule
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

He is a stop gap essentially. There’s no QB worth drafting to peg as a “franchise QB” in this years draft. So avoiding the temptation to invest a high draft pick in a QB this year is probably a good thing.

Ultimately it’s way to get out from under Cousins’ contract without bottoming out at the position. If Mayfield proves himself and finds a home here, great. If not you move on with no penalty. 

Actually, might we benefit from his leaving after one year with us?  Wouldn't we be in line for a compensatory pick?

3 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Yup. This QB class is really, really bad compared to the last couple of years. There's not one QB in the class that I'd consider taking in the Top 15, at this point. Maybe that changes during the pre-draft process, but I doubt it. To me, they all look like 2nd and 3rd rounders...which means someone is going to overdraft one or two in the first round. I pray it isn't the Vikings.

3 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

I don’t know, seems we hear this a lot that there’s no franchise QBs. Like the 2018 draft with Mahomes and Watson falling out of the top 10. Even Josh Allen and Justin Herbert weren’t seen as sure thing franchise QBs. Have to take chances as we won’t be in position for a sure thing. And that’s my concern. Settling for the safe veteran option rather than making a franchise altering move at QB. 

Christian Ponder was a franchise altering move, for sure. Just not in a good way.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Christian Ponder was a franchise altering move, for sure. Just not in a good way.

I’d rather take chances than keep settling for .500 and maybe one playoff win as best case scenario. The list of QBs under Spielman deserve to be scrutinized, which is why I have no faith in Spielman to get it right. But sometimes it’s just dumb luck. 

3 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

The glaring difference with those classes is that those players (Mahomes, Watson, Allen, and Herbert) had insane physical measurables. There physical skill sets were off the charts. The biggest questions they faced was how well would they adjust to the NFL game.

This years class doesn’t have anyone remotely close to that. There really isn’t anyone whose physical ability jump off the screen. 

3 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

The glaring difference with those classes is that those players (Mahomes, Watson, Allen, and Herbert) had insane physical measurables. There physical skill sets were off the charts. The biggest questions they faced was how well would they adjust to the NFL game.

This years class doesn’t have anyone remotely close to that. There really isn’t anyone whose physical ability jump off the screen. 

Fair point, I honestly know little of this draft class. That’s typically the type of QB I’d jump all over on draft day if I’m outside the top 5. I wouldn’t trust a Spielman led team to draft that type in round one. They’ve gone the perceived safe, less flashy route with first rounds picks (Teddy, Ponder, Bradford) and signed Cousins. 

1 hour ago, wcblack34 said:

Yup. This QB class is really, really bad compared to the last couple of years. There's not one QB in the class that I'd consider taking in the Top 15, at this point. Maybe that changes during the pre-draft process, but I doubt it. To me, they all look like 2nd and 3rd rounders...which means someone is going to overdraft one or two in the first round. I pray it isn't the Vikings.

Book it

I’ve bounced back and forth on what the best move forward with Cousins would be. And I’ve basically come to this final conclusion. 

My entire opinion about whether they should extend or trade Cousins will come down to how team friendly of a deal Cousins would be willing to sign. If he and his representation are keen on going the familiar route and asking for top market dollar, something that would keep his salary in that $35-$40M range, then trade is the only viable option in my opinion. But if he willing to sign a team friendly extension that would put his AAV in the $30M range, then sign him up and bring him back. 

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

I’ve bounced back and forth on what the best move forward with Cousins would be. And I’ve basically come to this final conclusion. 

My entire opinion about whether they should extend or trade Cousins will come down to how team friendly of a deal Cousins would be willing to sign. If he and his representation are keen on going the familiar route and asking for top market dollar, something that would keep his salary in that $35-$40M range, then trade is the only viable option in my opinion. But if he willing to sign a team friendly extension that would put his AAV in the $30M range, then sign him up and bring him back. 

I believe that there is a cap charge number where Kirk Cousins makes the Vikings a legitimate Super Bowl contender, I too agree that it's not in the $35-40MM range (with the current cap). The trick is for the team to find what that cap hit is and get Cousins to take it. If there was a way to keep Cousins' cap hit below $20MM like the Bucs have been able to do with Brady, I think you can put the kind of team he needs around him to make a deep run. $25MM, probably. $30MM, maybe. Any more than that, I don't think so.

6 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

I believe that there is a cap charge number where Kirk Cousins makes the Vikings a legitimate Super Bowl contender, I too agree that it's not in the $35-40MM range (with the current cap). The trick is for the team to find what that cap hit is and get Cousins to take it. If there was a way to keep Cousins' cap hit below $20MM like the Bucs have been able to do with Brady, I think you can put the kind of team he needs around him to make a deep run. $25MM, probably. $30MM, maybe. Any more than that, I don't think so.

I think a realistic, team friendly number would be $30M. 

42 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Until he proves me otherwise, I just don't see Kirk doing that.  He is Kirk-first, team second.  That's fine if he wants to do that, that's his prerogative, but just let him maximize his contract elsewhere.

the problem is finding someone else that want him to maximize that elsewhere.