Vikings extend QB Kirk Cousins (Two years)

RaidersAreOne

13 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I would not object to that, as they could potentially use at least one of those picks to move up into the late 1st, if need be.  I don't like Lock at all, but it would only be temporary.

That's my thinking - last year of his deal, chance to prove himself, not a great QB class this year.

32 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I for one would not mind trading Cousins for Mayfield. 

Aren’t you going to have to end up giving Mayfield a contract comparable to Cousins, what’s the benefit? Cousins is the better QB. Maybe not in 2-3 years but you’re still going to have to pay Mayfield like a top 10 QB to maybe get where Cousins is at now.

2 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Aren’t you going to have to end up giving Mayfield a contract comparable to Cousins, what’s the benefit? Cousins is the better QB. Maybe not in 2-3 years but you’re still going to have to pay Mayfield like a top 10 QB to maybe get where Cousins is at now.

I don't think so, unless he warrants the extension with his play during the season.  He lost all leverage with his performance this year.  If he plays like he has, you just let him walk after the season and you're out nothing except having to find another QB.

Edited by swede700

Frankly it will depend on what the new coaching staff, if we get one, would want.

If they feel they want someone who can make off-schedule plays, maybe they prefer Baker.  If they want someone to play within a system, Baker doesn't make sense.

I personally hope we move more to a spread, Lincoln Riley-esque, offense and I would absolutely take Baker within it, assuming he's healthy.

52 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Not at all. Mayfield needs a prove it season. No contract extension would be necessary unless it’s earned. And if it’s earned, great!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

It feels so weird for saying we would take Baker after the year he had vs the season Cousins had, but at the same time it makes sense.

On some level, this team and this organization need a personality like Mayfield’s. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

On some level, this team and this organization need a personality like Mayfield’s. 

Agree again.  This team, really for the last 2 years, has lacked any personality or identity.  I don't know if it's just pure coincidence that it was because of no Everson, but it's surely evident.  There's not a lot of emotion or character on this team.  They talk of Dalvin being a leader on the team, but he's not one either that outwardly oozes personality on the field.

4 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Ahh AJ, the person who has no more credentials to speak on such matters than anyone here.

Yeah, AJ has probably spent too much time around PA to have such a take.  I think most of us can agree that while Kirk hasn't been the main problem, he's certainly not the solution, so why not take the gamble.  He's proven to be a capable QB, but not the leader that the team needs and costs too much to be just that.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Not at all. Mayfield needs a prove it season. No contract extension would be necessary unless it’s earned. And if it’s earned, great!

How many years has he had to earn it though? To me, the upside seems very limited at this point and seems like another veteran stop gap to avoid actually drafting and developing a true franchise QB. 

9 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

How many years has he had to earn it though? To me, the upside seems very limited at this point and seems like another veteran stop gap to avoid actually drafting and developing a true franchise QB. 

He is a stop gap essentially. There’s no QB worth drafting to peg as a “franchise QB” in this years draft. So avoiding the temptation to invest a high draft pick in a QB this year is probably a good thing.

Ultimately it’s way to get out from under Cousins’ contract without bottoming out at the position. If Mayfield proves himself and finds a home here, great. If not you move on with no penalty. 

Edited by SemperFeist