Vikings extend QB Kirk Cousins (Two years)

RaidersAreOne

56 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Until he proves me otherwise, I just don't see Kirk doing that.  He is Kirk-first, team second.  That's fine if he wants to do that, that's his prerogative, but just let him maximize his contract elsewhere.

Oh I agree. 

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

Until he proves me otherwise, I just don't see Kirk doing that.  He is Kirk-first, team second.  That's fine if he wants to do that, that's his prerogative, but just let him maximize his contract elsewhere.

Do QBs actually give their team “friendly” deals? I feel thats probably just a made up concept by fans. Can we point to any recent deals? I don’t like to look at Tom Brady considering what his wife pulls in. 

Of course Kirk is going to look out for himself first. As should any other employee who has options. 

I’d prefer to just play out the current deal even if it means not having a competitive roster next year. Another extension just doesn’t make much sense at the going rate of top 5 QB pay.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Riddle said:

Cousins to Denver for their 1 and another pick. Sign Teddy. A return to the natural order, and all will be right with the Vikings. Might even get world piece out the deal too. 

I love Teddy. But at this point id almost rather have a different bridge QB like Mariota. 

8 hours ago, Riddle said:

Cousins to Denver for their 1 and another pick. Sign Teddy. A return to the natural order, and all will be right with the Vikings. Might even get world piece out the deal too. 

I can’t say that I’d be thrilled with Bridgewater. But it is probably the only way to lift the curse. 

12 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Do QBs actually give their team “friendly” deals? I feel that's probably just a made up concept by fans. Can we point to any recent deals? I don’t like to look at Tom Brady considering what his wife pulls in. 

Of course Kirk is going to look out for himself first. As should any other employee who has options.

Brady realizes he has the best chance to win championships when he thinks in terms of his team's fiscal situation rather than only himself.  But he hadn't just conceded money without fair concessions by NE.  And he knew BB could fix any defensive deficiencies that existed at the time.  Further, being forward thinking to his eventual retirement, by winning another championship, he gains more future income as a spokesman for various products, a guest on chat shows, etc.

Cousins realizes that the Vikings don't have the defensive talent to win a championship, and perhaps he may doubt the current coaches' ability to win a championship and the GM's ability to find such players.  So, he won't likely budge on his salary unless a concession is made by the team that allows them to add the needed defensive talent without hurting his financial position.  Otherwise, why should he concede anything?  

Why do fans think Cousins' contract isn't reasonable after many years of praising Viking Fiscal Wizard Brzezinski?  Have any fans put their blame on Brzezinski (rather than Cousins)?  Have any fans blamed Ten-Pick Rick for the defensive deficiency due to bad trades?  Yes, some have, but many of those same critics forget that when Cousin's contract is discussed.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Do QBs actually give their team “friendly” deals? I feel thats probably just a made up concept by fans. Can we point to any recent deals? I don’t like to look at Tom Brady considering what his wife pulls in. 

To a certain degree, Brees did at the end.  Roethlisberger did...and while you may be astonished at the overall number, Mahomes' deal is truly a team-friendly deal. 

43 minutes ago, swede700 said:

To a certain degree, Brees did at the end.  Roethlisberger did...and while you may be astonished at the overall number, Mahomes' deal is truly a team-friendly deal. 

Brees deal was team friendly towards the end of his career, along with Roethlisberger, in the city were they were the face of the franchise. They won a Superbowl and it honestly barely mattered what they did. They had that benefit of the doubt that they were good.

Kirk won't ever get that with the criticism he receives nationally and locally unless he won a Superbowl here. We just have never had the team around him to do that. Kirk can have monster games and he really never gets the "credit for the win" typically its been pointed at star players (D-Jax, Afred Morris, Pierre Garcon, Jordan Reed, Adam Thielen, Dalvin Cook, JJ)

While those are some names, the QB never gets some sort of a big credit until they can turn a win around, a rookie in the NFL, or they have previously won a Superbowl.

He knows this, his agent knows this, and when you start having that, you get some benefit of the doubt and Job security. Look at Ben the past 3 years, even Brees to a point, i'd argue Kirk is still a better QB than Brees toward the end when he had very little arm left in him.

2 hours ago, Purplexing said:

How large a piece?

Dammit 😂

3 hours ago, vike daddy said:

isn't TB missing his 3rd game right now with a concussion? do you really think he can play a full season, anywhere?

This is a good point, we'll need a good back up too, but this isn't about thinking, this is about bringing the best QB we never really had back home and lifting bad juju or something superstitious like that.  

5 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I can’t say that I’d be thrilled with Bridgewater. But it is probably the only way to lift the curse. 

👆

• Like 1

Vikings were desperate for a QB. Then they created such an albatross of a contract, they the only solution to control it was to extend it. 8 took advantage, and continues to so, with an ignorant and desperate franchise. Desperation is a Vikings trend.

I happened with TJack, It happened with Ponder. It happened with Farve. It happened with Bradford. And not it's happening with Cousins. One of those nearly worked.

This team is reactive and not proactive.

• Like 2

I think with the potential free agents available and the shape of the draft the only logical move is extend Kirk. Maybe we focus on acquiring ammo to move up in a future draft with a better class.

There is no denying his skill set and production are above average with the main knock on him being his record against teams with winning records but that surely can't be all on him and I think he showed that some what this year with a bunch of solid drives at the end of games to put his team in a position to win.

Unless someone blows us away with a trade of course but a serviceable QB needs to come back.

Taking the discussion in a slightly different direction, is the 'problem with Cousins' due to his performance, his contract, or to other aspects not in his control; e.g. the Vikings defense has been declining, COVID impact on the roster, offensive line instability over several years, offensive game planning and play-calling... ?

27 minutes ago, twslhs20 said:

Vikings were desperate for a QB. Then they created such an albatross of a contract, they the only solution to control it was to extend it. 8 took advantage, and continues to so, with an ignorant and desperate franchise. Desperation is a Vikings trend.

I happened with TJack, It happened with Ponder. It happened with Farve. It happened with Bradford. And not it's happening with Cousins. One of those nearly worked.

This team is reactive and not proactive.

Fire Brzezinski!  Fire Ten-Pick Rick!