Vikings extend QB Kirk Cousins (Two years)

RaidersAreOne

5 hours ago, e16bball said:

There are some Washington fans that still miss Kirk Cousins — and in fairness, he’s the best the franchise had for a long time, though that’s really more about the franchise than about him — but most of us have come to see him for what he is. 

Some wanted him gone before he actually left. I think most of us were sorta torn — we saw the flaws and the blown opportunities, but honestly (again) deep down we kinda thought it was more about the team than about him. I genuinely thought that when he joined up with that roster you all had at that time, a ring seemed like a pretty good chance. 

And then it was all the same stuff. Groundhog’s day, deja vu, the same movie just purpler. The early leads that never get built on. The aimless 3 and outs. The drives that stall on the brink of FG range. The plays you can’t believe he didn’t audible out of. The inexplicable chuck-and-duck blind prayer throws with the game on the line. The weak grip on the ball anytime he gets sacked. The prime-time shellackings. The mind numbing lapses in judgment. And one after another, the losses that leave you scratching your head, wondering how it happened. 

All of that sandwiched around genuine brilliance a lot of the time. The numbers were amazing for us, and they’ve been just as good for you all. He can wing it, he’s got touch, he can drop an absolutely beautiful ball from about 20-35 yards, maybe a top 2-3 QB in the league at dropping dimes in the fountain from that distance. But inevitably at the end of the season, you look back and wonder how you ended up at .500 and you think...”it can’t be Kirk, look at his numbers, it’s gotta be something else.” And you find a scapegoat, whether it’s bad OL play or coaching or injuries or a bad kicker or a defense that didn’t hold up its end of the bargain. 

But it’s him. 

And the dude in the video kinda hits it on the head. Because honestly, I believe that on a lot of levels, Kirk feels good tonight. It honestly went just the way he planned it when he secretly dressed up as Santa and went to that ICU and asked all the patients to take off their masks and whisper their Christmas wishes into his ear (or nose or mouth, that would be even better).** The Vikings got stomped without him, and everybody will think better of him. It will open up more opportunities for him to extract money from MIN or from some other team that might trade for him. And he got to avoid the absolute likelihood that he would have laid yet another egg in a huge moment. Couldn’t have gone better for him. 

Our franchises have a lot in common, especially in terms of feeling like we’re cursed and constantly finding ways to shoot ourselves in the foot. I hope you all do the wise thing and send this guy off to some other franchise. Yes, you’ll get worse in the short-term (we sure did). Yes, you’ll have to hit on your efforts to find a replacement (we sure didn’t, with Smith or with Haskins). But you can’t win with this guy. At least...we can’t. Maybe some place where winning is the expectation and the tradition, and where they already believe they can do it — maybe Kirk could walk in there and not screw things up and learn how to win. But for franchises like ours, where we already expect to lose and are just waiting to see how it happens? He’s the guy who will further that curse, not break it. 

[** - Dramatization, probably did not actually happen exactly like that]

I believe you placed your '** - Dramatization' footnote in the wrong place.  It should have followed the entire post.

You can see it more the last 2 years with the COVID protocols and the vaccines, 8.33.19.and 22 are the leaders on this team, and they said nah we're good.

No one wants to play with/for people like that. That doesn't inspire leadership.

14 minutes ago, twslhs20 said:

You can see it more the last 2 years with the COVID protocols and the vaccines, 8.33.19.and 22 are the leaders on this team, and they said nah we're good.

No one wants to play with/for people like that. That doesn't inspire leadership.

The Packers have no issue playing for 12.

The players don’t want to play for Zimmer, that is painfully obvious.

Edited by vikingsrule
  • Like 1

Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield already was ruled out for Sunday’s season finale as the team is eliminated from playoff contention. He will undergo surgery on his injured left shoulder.

The Browns made the procedural move of placing Mayfield on injured reserve Wednesday. It officially ends the worst season of Mayfield’s four seasons in Cleveland.

He had foot and knee injuries in addition to the torn labrum and fractured humerus in his non-throwing shoulder. Mayfield originally injured his shoulder in Week 2 against the Texans and aggravated it against the Cardinals on Oct. 17.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/01/05/browns-place-baker-mayfield-on-injured-reserve/

29 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield already was ruled out for Sunday’s season finale as the team is eliminated from playoff contention. He will undergo surgery on his injured left shoulder.

The Browns made the procedural move of placing Mayfield on injured reserve Wednesday. It officially ends the worst season of Mayfield’s four seasons in Cleveland.

He had foot and knee injuries in addition to the torn labrum and fractured humerus in his non-throwing shoulder. Mayfield originally injured his shoulder in Week 2 against the Texans and aggravated it against the Cardinals on Oct. 17.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/01/05/browns-place-baker-mayfield-on-injured-reserve/

Dude was a walking injury for most the season.

Disappointed Stefanski kept trotting him out there when he was clearly hobbled and his game suffered terribly.

Not saying he would have played well if healthy but I don't think he's THAT bad.

If a trade partner presents themselves, trading Cousins is likely a needed step. 

Keeping him at a $45M cap hit is just out of the question, and not only don’t I believe an extension would create enough cap relief to be worth it, but an extension also likely just creates the same issue a year or two down the line. When it will be harder to trade him. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Based on that article, my guess is that the most likely scenario is the trade.  It makes the most sense for the Vikings as well as any of the trade partners.

I would agree. 

It would be interesting, and ruin a lot of narratives, if a new GM/HC gave him and extension and hitched their wagon to him. 

11 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I would agree. 

It would be interesting, and ruin a lot of narratives, if a new GM/HC gave him and extension and hitched their wagon to him. 

I just don't see anyway a new GM/HC could actually extend him. Unless the Wilf's are really sold on trying to find a GM/HC that has to play ball with Kirk. 

The Vikings should be able to comfortably clear $20 million 2022 cap space through a Cousins extension. One way this could be done is by is lowering Cousins' base salary to a fully guaranteed $5 million while giving him a $50 million signing bonus on a four-year extension. There would be $10 million of annual signing bonus proration from 2022-26 to go along with the existing $10 million of signing bonus proration in 2022 relating to the 2020 extension. Cousins' 2022 cap number would drop from $45,166,668 to $25,166,668 in the process.

Agent's Take: Vikings face Kirk Cousins conundrum as cap-strapped franchise prepares for tumultuous offseason - CBSSports.com

45 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

The Vikings should be able to comfortably clear $20 million 2022 cap space through a Cousins extension. One way this could be done is by is lowering Cousins' base salary to a fully guaranteed $5 million while giving him a $50 million signing bonus on a four-year extension. There would be $10 million of annual signing bonus proration from 2022-26 to go along with the existing $10 million of signing bonus proration in 2022 relating to the 2020 extension. Cousins' 2022 cap number would drop from $45,166,668 to $25,166,668 in the process.

Agent's Take: Vikings face Kirk Cousins conundrum as cap-strapped franchise prepares for tumultuous offseason - CBSSports.com

I have been hot and cold on Cousins his entire tenure as a MN Viking. I have come to the conclusion that we should highly entertain a Kirk Cousins trade if possible. 

IF we decide to retain him, this type of salary restructure seems to make sense. 

21 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Cousins to Denver for Lock + 2nd (DEN) + 2nd (LAR) - who says no?

I would not object to that, as they could potentially use at least one of those picks to move up into the late 1st, if need be.  I don't like Lock at all, but it would only be temporary.

Edited by swede700