49ers resign Arik Armstead to 5 year deal

.Buzz

10 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Is that the end of Buckner there? Don't see how there is room for three 15+ mil defensive lineman (not to mention Bosa at 8mil) on a team with a franchise QB making 130+ mil.

Armstead was a beast though, good for him.

Buckner is not going anywhere. I do think that he's in no hurry to make a deal though. May be waiting for the cap explosion 

10 minutes ago, Canuck said:

Seems like a lot for a potential one-year wonder. It's pretty clear he was able to be so successful because he was on an absolutely stacked DLine. But I guess the 49ers wanna keep that group together at any cost 

It's a risk for sure. Was nearly exactly what I projected as a contract, so I'm not surprised, but it's a little scary. Some of the prior lack of production wasn't his fault though. Played 3-4 DE his first two years, which is kind of a different role. Then he kicked to the 4-3 role, but played all over the line, including things like 1 tech, where again, his role is slightly different. This year we brought the wide 9 in, and he did seem to flourish. I'm not sure he's a play driver, and that's concerning. 

Just now, Outpost31 said:

After Nick Perry, I would never re-sign a player who eclipses his sack total of 4 years in one contract year. 

LIS in the post before, there are kind of some mitigating circumstances there given his position before. He started his career as a 3-4 end, not as a pass rusher. 

I'd be lying if I said that there wasn't some trepidation with this deal though. 

Just now, Forge said:

LIS in the post before, there are kind of some mitigating circumstances there given his position before. He started his career as a 3-4 end, not as a pass rusher. 

I'd be lying if I said that there wasn't some trepidation with this deal though. 

It's not gonna end well for the Niners I don't think. 

It's crazy how susceptible to injuries players are when they're not in a contract year.  Armstead has shown he's a good player every year, great in his contract year.  I think he will provide 10-12 million per value at 17 million per pay. 

3 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

It's not gonna end well for the Niners I don't think. 

It's crazy how susceptible to injuries players are when they're not in a contract year.  Armstead has shown he's a good player every year, great in his contract year.  I think he will provide 10-12 million per value at 17 million per pay. 

The problem is, Flowers killed that idea last year. Because if you're going to comp him out, that's probably who you are looking at. Flowers had a longer history of being a 7-8 sack guy (though recency bias has always been a thing) but overall, they are pretty similar with regards to their profile - very strong run defenders, good all around players, maybe not the greatest upside pass rushers (8 sack guys). I've been pegging this contract for months, though I can't figure out how to feel about it lol. 

2 minutes ago, grizmo78 said:

Is the general consensus Buckner > AA? If so, I wonder how this deal affects Buckner next year. 

For his career? yes. I do think believe that AA was better all around last year (despite Buck getting the all pro nod and AA not). 

Doesn't really affect Buck though.