Phillip Rivers signs with Colts - 1 year, 25M

.Buzz

18 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

As a Charger, Yes. As a Colt its probably the opposite. Not only is Foles familiar with Reich but his Offense Playbook as well. Given the current climate of the NFL with the Covid Virus potentially limiting OTA's and TC, Foles would of had a leg up with the transition. 

Can't think of a single thing Rivers at this age, has over Foles 'in that Offense". 

Rivers played for Frank Reich too. In his two years with Frank as his OC he averaged 4,500 yards 66% 30 TDs 15 INT. He has an additional year with him as his QB coach for three years experience with him compared to Foles' single season.

Rivers offensive line in 2015 was Joe Barksdale, Orlando Franklin, Trevor Robinson, DJ Fluker, and Chris Hairston with Barksdale being the only one starting more than 13 games.

2014 was King Dunlap, Chad Rhinehart, 3 centers, Johnny Troutman, and DJ Fluker (and Fluker playing RT that year lead to him playing RG the following year, and as you can see he was the only constant).

Neither year did SD have a 1,000 receiver. The leading running back had ~600 yards each of those seasons.

If you took 2017, the year Foles had with Reich and took his 6 starts you get 439 yards 5 TD 2 INT reg season and 971 6 TD 1 INT post season, combined to 1410 yards, 11 TD 3 INT... divided by 6 games to make an average game of 235 yards 1.83 TD .5 INT expanded to 16 games is 3,760 yards 29 TD 8 INT with a line of Big V, Wisniewski, Kelce, Brooks and Lane Johnson.

Last year Rivers threw too many interceptions many notable ones were at the end of games trying to make something happen, but he played the year out and wasn't god awful it was just a typical Eli year instead of a Rivers year. Last year Nick Foles broke his collarbone in the first game, returned for two games where he threw nearly 50 times a game and was replaced permanently by Minshew. Foles has about a years worth of starts including playoffs since Wentz went down and he took over for that SB run. That's not really an ideal guy compared to Rivers essentially being an iron man.

Rivers is going to be awesome for the Colts, Foles was probably in the running for second best option for a quick adjustment but also costs a draft pick.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

As a Charger, Yes. As a Colt its probably the opposite. Not only is Foles familiar with Reich but his Offense Playbook as well. Given the current climate of the NFL with the Covid Virus potentially limiting OTA's and TC, Foles would of had a leg up with the transition. 

Can't think of a single thing Rivers at this age, has over Foles 'in that Offense". 

In no world is Foles equal with Rivers. Rivers has the experience, durability, more accurate, better touch, anticipation, precision passing, better at reading defenses pre and post snap.  Outside of mobility i dont see Foles with any advantage at all. Foles has had 1 season with over 13 td passes. Never thrown for 3000 yds. Foles is a journeyman backup who got hot 1 post season. Rivers is a hall of famer who just 2 years ago was removed from being a top 3ish qb. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bearerofnews said:

In no world is Foles equal with Rivers. Rivers has the experience, durability, more accurate, better touch, anticipation, precision passing, better at reading defenses pre and post snap.  Outside of mobility i dont see Foles with any advantage at all. Foles has had 1 season with over 13 td passes. Never thrown for 3000 yds. Foles is a journeyman backup who got hot 1 post season. Rivers is a hall of famer who just 2 years ago was removed from being a top 3ish qb. 

He's 38.

Not all QBs are Brady/Brees and continue high end play at this stage. I haven't been even remotely impressed with Rivers these past couple years.

Maybe getting out of LA gives him a sudden resurgence but you keep talking about past accomplishments. That doesn't matter at this stage. Foles is younger and has shown when he's given a good supporting cast he can take advantage of it. Without it? Not as pretty. But with Indy he'd have just that.

55 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

He's 38.

Not all QBs are Brady/Brees and continue high end play at this stage. I haven't been even remotely impressed with Rivers these past couple years.

Maybe getting out of LA gives him a sudden resurgence but you keep talking about past accomplishments. That doesn't matter at this stage. Foles is younger and has shown when he's given a good supporting cast he can take advantage of it. Without it? Not as pretty. But with Indy he'd have just that.

If you werent impressed with Rivers in 2018, then there is no point in even discussing this.

2018, same year he was top 3 in most MVP polls. When people say stuff like this, its validation that they arent watching so called player. How about when he lit up your defense last year to a 154 passer rating 300 plus yds 3 tds and 0 ints. Talk down your defense, but which qbs last year did them worse?

😂😂 at people comparing foles to rivers. This board has lost their mind.

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2018/12/07/ranking-nfl-mvp-candidates/

Just now, Bearerofnews said:

If you werent impressed with Rivers in 2018, then there is no point in even discussing this.

2018, same year he was top 3 in most MVP polls. When people say stuff like this, its validation that they arent watching so called player. How about when he lit up your defense last year to a 154 passer rating 300 plus yds 3 tds and 0 ints. Talk down your defense, but which qbs last year did them worse?

😂😂 at people comparing foles to rivers. This board has lost their mind.

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2018/12/07/ranking-nfl-mvp-candidates/

Meant to say last year. He was good in 2018.

Regardless, he's had a ton of talent to work with in his time there. In Indy it's going to be a step down as far as talent around him (although a better OL). Now, he's going to a be a year older after a not so great 2019 at an already old age.

You're literally continuing to hold onto him being a HOF caliber QB/what he did in the past and acting like being 38 will have zero impact. 

As I said, hopefully he has a resurgence for your purposes/what you're saying (I hope he doesn't). But having a down year, at his age, also can say maybe the end of the road is closing in. Acting like it's crazy talk/making what I'm saying out to be a career comparison between Foles/Rivers is off base.

6 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Meant to say last year. He was good in 2018.

Regardless, he's had a ton of talent to work with in his time there. In Indy it's going to be a step down as far as talent around him (although a better OL). Now, he's going to a be a year older after a not so great 2019 at an already old age.

You're literally continuing to hold onto him being a HOF caliber QB/what he did in the past and acting like being 38 will have zero impact. 

As I said, hopefully he has a resurgence for your purposes/what you're saying (I hope he doesn't). But having a down year, at his age, also can say maybe the end of the road is closing in. Acting like it's crazy talk/making what I'm saying out to be a career comparison between Foles/Rivers is off base.

It's just a one year deal though. They still draft a qb in round 2 and if Rivers really doesn't have it then you already have the replacement on the roster. There is no qb controversy to worry about like you would have with Foles. I really do get what you are saying about Foles possible being better, I just think this is the smarter move for the team. Plus you don't have to give up anything to get Rivers....which is another win as Ballard is not big on giving up draft picks and building through the draft.(Buckner this year is an outlier) Risk vs reward puts Rivers as the much better choice. 

Just now, seriously27 said:

It's just a one year deal though. They still draft a qb in round 2 and if Rivers really doesn't have it then you already have the replacement on the roster. There is no qb controversy to worry about like you would have with Foles. I really do get what you are saying about Foles possible being better, I just think this is the smarter move for the team. Plus you don't have to give up anything to get Rivers....which is another win as Ballard is not big on giving up draft picks and building through the draft.(Buckner this year is an outlier) Risk vs reward puts Rivers as the much better choice. 

There wouldn't be with Foles either. Foles is essentially a 1 year, 15M deal this year with a 5M guarantee next year. 

Again, we'll see what happens. Maybe I'm overreacting to age/2019, but as an outside with what I've seen with Foles with good protection/solid weapons I'd prefer that.

9 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

There wouldn't be with Foles either. Foles is essentially a 1 year, 15M deal this year with a 5M guarantee next year. 

Again, we'll see what happens. Maybe I'm overreacting to age/2019, but as an outside with what I've seen with Foles with good protection/solid weapons I'd prefer that.

It's not just that if the colts were required to trade for him. Then you are losing a draft pick as well. My point is that I don't think either guy is the long term fit or the answer, and while I'm hoping Rivers does well, the guy they get in the draft is going to be what's more important in the long run. I think Ballard is making the push this year and then they have another reset next year with Rivers 25 million and Brissett's(unless he gets traded) 20 million coming off the books.

Paying one year for a risk will always be better than trading assets for another one that isn't a great deal cheaper. 

Edited by seriously27

3 minutes ago, seriously27 said:

It's not just that if the colts were required to trade for him. Then you are losing a draft pick as well. My point is that I don't think either guy is the long term fit or the answer, and while I'm hoping Rivers does well, the guy they get in the draft is going to be what's more important in the long run. I think Ballard is making the push this year and then they have another reset next year with Rivers 25 million and Brissett's(unless he gets traded) 20 million coming off the books.

Paying one year for a risk will always be better than trading assets for another one that isn't a great deal cheaper. 

Truthfully, if you think one QB enhances your chances to win more than the other in win now mode like they're in a 5th round pick shouldn't give you pause.

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

Truthfully, if you think one QB enhances your chances to win more than the other in win now mode like they're in a 5th round pick shouldn't give you pause.

Which is why I'm guessing Ballard didn't pick Foles. I would put more trust in him based on his track record so far.  

Just now, seriously27 said:

Which is why I'm guessing Ballard didn't pick Foles. I would put more trust in him based on his track record so far.  

Fair, but odd they were in talks with JAX til the end if they thought Rivers was clearly the superior option all along and Foles would cost draft compensation.