Phillip Rivers signs with Colts - 1 year, 25M

.Buzz

1 hour ago, HOF19 said:

I do not have a dog in this race (I am no particular fan of Jacoby ) but Rivers does not impress me much either .

If you base him solely on last year then yes that's true. But as someone who watched him quite a bit over the years, he is actually very similar to Brees IMO. Not only in the intelligence and mental processing department, but no one was as good as Rivers at moving inside the pocket especially when it was cluttered. There were times that he would make perfect throws with people all over him. Unfortunately that ability seemed to have waned this past season. Despite numerous attempts the Chargers could never protect him as well as Payton and NO with Brees.

18 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Needless to say I'm very happy for him and hope he does win a championship with the Colts this season,  and prove the doubters wrong.

Colts got a hell of a football player and a good guy besides. I hope he brings them a Championship this year. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tyty said:

He’s not going to win them a championship, he’s not the qb of the future, and he’s going to be just good enough to keep them from being able to draft a qb of the future. 

Exactly. If I'm a Colts fan I'm hating this move. I thought Buckner was a move to not spend big on a QB and try for a 2d rounder with upside or get the QB of the future next year which makes sense. This does not.

2 minutes ago, bomont said:

uh yeah, even at his age. Foles has had a VERY erratic career and the "lol" is anyone thinking he'll ever reach half the numbers Rivers has.

Rivers has had Allen, Gordon, Ekeler, Henry, etc. etc. the past few years and has done little to nothing with it.

Give me Foles who has shown, with good talent around him, that he can actually do something with it.

46 minutes ago, bomont said:

Exactly. If I'm a Colts fan I'm hating this move. I thought Buckner was a move to not spend big on a QB and try for a 2d rounder with upside or get the QB of the future next year which makes sense. This does not.

That still could happen.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Rivers has had Allen, Gordon, Ekeler, Henry, etc. etc. the past few years and has done little to nothing with it.

Give me Foles who has shown, with good talent around him, that he can actually do something with it.

Skill players are great. But mean next to nothing without a good interior OL. And Foles had a pretty good OL during that Super Bowl run, as well as a pretty aggressive HC. The wheels fell off for Rivers when Pouncey went out for the year.

1 minute ago, Xenos said:

Skill players are great. But mean next to nothing without a good interior OL. And Foles had a pretty good OL during that Super Bowl run, as well as a pretty aggressive HC. The wheels fell off for Rivers when Pouncey went out for the year.

I'm not saying he had a good OL. My whole argument is Foles, when he's had a good OL/solid supporting cast, has proven he can win and shows up in big games. He is also 4M less this year, and if he would've played well/worked out, could be a long term solution with the way that team is built.

29 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I'm not saying he had a good OL. My whole argument is Foles, when he's had a good OL/solid supporting cast, has proven he can win and shows up in big games. He is also 4M less this year, and if he would've played well/worked out, could be a long term solution with the way that team is built.

Rivers owns the AFCS. Yall are screwed for 2020. Rivers is 50000000000000 times the qb Foles is. Dont mistaken a circumstantial outcome with actual value. Colts have a legit shot with Rivers. They would not with Foles.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bearerofnews said:

Rivers owns the AFCS. Yall are screwed for 2020. Rivers is 50000000000000 times the qb Foles is. Dont mistaken a circumstantial outcome with actual value. Colts have a legit shot with Rivers. They would not with Foles.

As a Jaguars fan I'm likely screwed in 2020 regardless, that's not the point.

I'd be a lot more worried facing Foles then I would Rivers with where Rivers is at in his career with a good OL/solid supporting cast.

Edited by .Buzz

Jeeez...they didn't really keep this under wraps very well beforehand, did they?  I almost thought it was gonna not happen, because of how sure everyone in the football media was that it was a slam dunk.  But here were are.  It happened.

8 hours ago, Bearerofnews said:

As a Charger, Yes. As a Colt its probably the opposite. Not only is Foles familiar with Reich but his Offense Playbook as well. Given the current climate of the NFL with the Covid Virus potentially limiting OTA's and TC, Foles would of had a leg up with the transition. 

Can't think of a single thing Rivers at this age, has over Foles 'in that Offense".