2020 NFL Draft: Discussion, Reports, Rumors, and Studies

jetskid007

37 minutes ago, JohnnyHectorFan said:

Question for the forum,  which position (WR or OT) do you think can come in and make an immediate impact quicker if there are no rookie camp, OTAs and possibly a shortened training camp?

And if you feel one way or the other, should that be taken into consideration picking round one?

This entire offseason will probably be wiped out and just wondering how everyone felt about how that effects pick #11. 

I think a top notch wr would have an easier time adapting.   He just has to get on the same page with 1 guy(Sam)  instead of 4 other guys. 

That’s stats Jetskid posted were telling. First round OL seem to be more successful because it’s rare good/great ones come out and smart teams pounce on them. 

The issues with weapons are there are far more variables involved in their evaluation. Their college, conference, talent around them. 

12 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

That’s stats Jetskid posted were telling. First round OL seem to be more successful because it’s rare good/great ones come out and smart teams pounce on them. 

The issues with weapons are there are far more variables involved in their evaluation. Their college, conference, talent around them. 

What the chart didn’t show is the eye test. That chart is in essence comparing a guy like Ruggs to guys like Tavon Austin. When we all know that’s not the case.

1 minute ago, KingOfTheDot said:

This board wanted Tavon Austin. I remember, I was here. 

Oh I remember. But he was hardly the prospect that these top 3 guys are. That was one of the weakest draft classes in a very long time. Sadly we had 2 1st rounders in that class. We were also starving for offense much like we are now then. 

That all being said, these OTs are ranked very high for a class as well.

Just now, Bobby816 said:

Oh I remember. But he was hardly the prospect that these top 3 guys are. That was one of the weakest draft classes in a very long time. Sadly we had 2 1st rounders in that class. We were also starving for offense much like we are now then. 

That all being said, these OTs are ranked very high for a class as well.

True, that class was bad bad bad. 

Just went back and watched tcu vs Ohio st from 2018.... gotta say Lucas Niang put the clamps on Bosa and Young everytime he lined up against them.   He played through a hip injury this year.   He could really be a steal in the 2nd round and hold down the RT spot for years. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

What the chart didn’t show is the eye test. That chart is in essence comparing a guy like Ruggs to guys like Tavon Austin. When we all know that’s not the case.

To be fair, the whole point of the chart is to show that there are more "Tavon Austin's" at WR than OT. Is Ruggs a better prospect? Yes, but hindsight is 20/20. All of these guys were respectable prospects in their own right to have been taken in the first round. 

• Like 1

Isaiah Wilson is a guy I am really, really intrigued by.

Two things you can coach(size and strength). He's long, massive and powerful. He's young and needs to work on his technique but those tools are intriguing. 

I think he goes late 1st/early 2nd but if we don't like the Tackle options at 11, I wouldn't mind moving back or taking a WR and then targeting him with our next pick.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Isaiah Wilson is a guy I am really, really intrigued by.

Two things you can coach(size and strength). He's long, massive and powerful. He's young and needs to work on his technique but those tools are intriguing. 

I think he goes late 1st/early 2nd but if we don't like the Tackle options at 11, I wouldn't mind moving back or taking a WR and then targeting him with our next pick.

I like that he's from Brooklyn!

I've kind of ignored him because of the zone blocking scheme the Jets will run.  But he could fit.  I hadn't really considered it.  He' a beast of a RT. I just assumed he would go to a different type of offense.  Blurb from nfl.com profile:  He's a little inconsistent hitting his landmarks as a zone blocker but should fit nicely into a man-based blocking scheme.

Malik-Herring-Isaiah-Wilson-Jake-Fromm-b

IsaiahwithSpongeBobBackPack_dpy84f.jpg

Edited by dcat

The thing is, those numbers do nothing for me. Each draft is it's own. This draft we could be down to choosing the #1 wr vs 4th ot.

Would you rather pass up a potential elite wr just because you think ot is the right pick? 

The wrs in this draft are significantly better than usual..I'm confident that Jeudy and Lamb are studs. 

3 hours ago, rampantjet said:

Just went back and watched tcu vs Ohio st from 2018.... gotta say Lucas Niang put the clamps on Bosa and Young everytime he lined up against them.   He played through a hip injury this year.   He could really be a steal in the 2nd round and hold down the RT spot for years. 

There are a few guys who could be steals at RT after round 1.

4 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

True, that class was bad bad bad. 

Although there were rumors he ramshacked his room at the combine, I always wanted Hopkins. Mark had no receivers and our OL still wasn’t too bad. My choices would have been i DL either Star Loteleleu (it was pre Snacks becoming a monster) or Jarvis Jones (we needed an edge) and 1 weapon, Hopkins. I naively assumed we had a plan at CB or we wouldn’t have traded Revis. Once we passed on Hopkins I wanted either Q. Patton or R.Woods with our second. It never crossed my mind that we would take Geno

46 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:
3 hours ago, rampantjet said:

I think the injury is why he has sort of become the forgotten OT. If he’s healthy I agree that he could be a quality starter.

Trey Adams is another guy that looked like a top LT before suffering an ACL injury in 2018. He played okay last year but in many cases it isn’t until the second year after an ACL injury that a player is back to normal