2020 NFL Draft: Discussion, Reports, Rumors, and Studies

jetskid007

8 minutes ago, dcat said:

Fant is slated for LT.  Scary, but you are right... he was bad at RT.  Seattle replaced him with Brandon Shell.  Alrighty then.  

They replaced Ifedi with Shell. Fant played well at LT(it was his first year he wasn’t even supposed to play) for them but they have Duane Brown,  who they brought in when Fant got hurt. 

2 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

They replaced Ifedi with Shell. Fant played well at LT(it was his first year he wasn’t even supposed to play) for them but they have Duane Brown,  who they brought in when Fant got hurt. 

that is correct.  and ifedi was a disaster for them  but when Fant played at RT it wasn't good.  I wouldn't be surprised if we draft 2 tackles, because Fant shouldn't be the long term plan at LT.   Three year contract but can get out with minimal dead cap after 1.  Good contract for the Jets. 

16 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Or Diggs, Keenan Allen, Hill, Thomas etc.  

Except we didn’t draft them. And likewise as others have said. There’s misses with 1st round OTs too. In fact a guy like Becton is IMO a WAY bigger risk than any of the top 3 WRs.

You can play it however you want. Our OT can be Greg Robinson, Luke Joeckel, Jason Smith, etc too...

55 minutes ago, dcat said:

The fact is you want to continue using the exact same exact WR drafting strategy that the Jets have done since Keyshawn Johnson, all 22 years of it, and somehow you think that miraculously there will be different results.  How does continuing that horrific course of action a wise strategy? 

The last time the Jets made a run they double dipped in the OL.  How's that for a strategy?  You won't ever convince me drafting a WR over a LT is the right way to go when there are 5 elite tackles in the class and we need one.  I know we need a WR but we need an OT just as bad.  If you told me we can sure up one for the next 10 years this draft the choice is easy.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Except we didn’t draft them. And likewise as others have said. There’s misses with 1st round OTs too. In fact a guy like Becton is IMO a WAY bigger risk than any of the top 3 WRs.

You can play it however you want. Our OT can be Greg Robinson, Luke Joeckel, Jason Smith, etc too...

My point still stands that I'd take the shot on the LT over the WR given the importance of the position.  I'd walk Doctson or Pittman in round 2 out there opposite Perriman before trusting an important position like OT to two unproven players.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

My point still stands that I'd take the shot on the LT over the WR given the importance of the position.  I'd walk Doctson or Pittman in round 2 out there opposite Perriman before trusting an important position like OT to two unproven players.

I'd rather be torn apart by wild horses than see that garbage out there instead of a generational talent.  Doctson and Perriman.  OK.  /endthread

This horse is obliterated it seems

Just use our first 4 picks on the best players at these two spot and I’ll be happy. IMO we still haven’t given Sam enough and I trust the defense will be able to operate just by being healthy compared to what they had to endure last year. For the love of god just no wasting picks early picks on defensive players that can’t rush the passer.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, dcat said:

I'd rather be torn apart by wild horses than see that garbage out there instead of a generational talent.  Doctson and Perriman.  OK.  /endthread

Fant and Edoga is better though?  

Considering how much better Sam played with a clean pocket even with the garbage we had at WR last year yes still going OT without question.  I'm not ignoring WR just not taking one in round 1.  I'd be fine adding Pittman, Aiyuk, Shanult, or someone like that.  With other help on offense like Herndon and Bell we can help the offense way more by improving the OL.

Mayfield had all the weapons in the world last year and OL issues yet people think you can just put weapons out there and be successful.  How did that work for him?

The foundation of any football team is protecting the QB and pressuring the other QB.  We can't do either yet we can draft a luxury position like WR in round 1, yeah I'm good.

Edited by Rockice_8
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

Totally get that. And I won’t dislike an OT picked. I just prefer one of the star WRs

8 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

Fant and Edoga is better though?  

Considering how much better Sam played with a clean pocket even with the garbage we had at WR last year yes still going OT without question.  I'm not ignoring WR just not taking one in round 1.  I'd be fine adding Pittman, Aiyuk, Shanult, or someone like that.  With other help on offense like Herndon and Bell we can help the offense way more by improving the OL.

Mayfield had all the weapons in the world last year and OL issues yet people think you can just put weapons out there and be successful.  How did that work for him?

The foundation of any football team is protecting the QB and pressuring the other QB.  We can't do either yet we can draft a luxury position like WR in round 1, yeah I'm good.

There are solid 2nd round OTs.  JD is an OL minded evaluator since his days with Ozzie.   You have to trust him that he can evaluate goes like Ezra Cleveland and Matt Peart and know what he needs for this offense.  The reason why we have Fant is to give him some flexibility in this draft so that he doesn't have to take an immediate starter at LT at 11.  And Fant will play LT, not RT where he sucked in Seattle.  Of course the same could be said for the one year contract for Perriman.  

Based on the off season acquisitions and losses, I'm strongly sensing a WR vibe for Rd 1.

Edited by dcat

As the oldest Jet fan on this board, and saw the first Jet game at Shea, I have never seen such a debate on who we should pick with out first pick in the draft. We all have beaten this pick to death, who should we take. Everybody has made there own opinion, and they are all excellent, I think we know more about the players in this debate than they know about themselves. It sure looks like everybody did their homework on this pick.

• Like 1

JD is an OL “guru” so there could be some validity to trust him to make a mid rounder a great player. As a talent evaluator of OLineman and its his “forte” than he should be able to do that. I wouldn’t call drafting a OT at 11 him being an “OL guru“

If he truly is a guru, than I trust him to make that pick at 48 an OLineman and getting 1st round talent and production out of him. I trust that more than trusting his talent evaluation at WR. So take the sure thing WR at 11 and trust he evaluated the OL class enough to get a great OLineman at 48.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, doumeyer said:

As the oldest Jet fan on this board, and saw the first Jet game at Shea, I have never seen such a debate on who we should pick with out first pick in the draft. We all have beaten this pick to death, who should we take. Everybody has made there own opinion, and they are all excellent, I think we know more about the players in this debate than they know about themselves. It sure looks like everybody did their homework on this pick.

Which is why it will be mass suicide in here when we take a DT 😎