2020 NFL Draft: Discussion, Reports, Rumors, and Studies

jetskid007

18 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

In all honesty the smartest thing for JD to do is put his stamp on this team. Draft a WR at 11 (bc the top 3 guys for me are quite a bit better than the Mims, Jefferson, Reagors of the draft). And then trade back into the end if Round 1 or early Round 2 for an OT like Jones, Cleveland, Wilson, Jackson. I see a smaller gap between them and the top OTs than I do at WR (outside of Wills).

Yes especially with the extra 3rd round.  That's the ideal move.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Listen I totally understand what you’re saying... but the OL has been addressed. Yes not to the level we’d all like. But as I’ve stated did we really think we were getting 5 new starters in 1 offseason? And I couldn’t disagree more that WR is a “luxury” pick. When Vyncent Smith is slated as a starting WR... it’s not a luxury to get a great WR. Protecting Sam 100% is HUGE... but protecting him to throw to below average players... is rather pointless. 

There is no way should feel comfortable with the OL.  So thinking it's addressed is where the disconnect is.  We saw what a bad OL can do to an offense last year.  Would Lamb last year have made a difference?  Unlikely.  I mean we can use CLE as an example.  They had all the weapons in the world an accurate QB and a poor OL.  They crumbled because of the OL.

What happens if Fant or Edoga struggle.  That can ruin the entire season.  If a WR struggles you can scheme to use Bell in different ways, can use Crowder and Herndon more.  There are ways to work around less talent at WR.  You can't do that with a bad OL.  That is why I'm so focused on OL first and taking some swings in the mid rounds.  OL can help or hurt the entire offense much more then a WR.

I think OL is going to get scooped up quicker then WRs given how many more teams need OL help.  It's easy to say well just grab Cleveland or someone like that but just like you are worried maybe Aiyuk or Higgins don't make it to 48 the same can be said for Cleveland and the other 2nd round OTs.

The pick should be and I think it will end up being an OT.

Thomas in round 1, Higgins in round 2 is my gut feeling how it goes.  I think Thomas makes it to us and Higgins gets passed up because of his lack of combine and makes it to 48.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

There is no way should feel comfortable with the OL.  So thinking it's addressed is where the disconnect is.  We saw what a bad OL can do to an offense last year.  Would Lamb last year have made a difference?  Unlikely.  I mean we can use CLE as an example.  They had all the weapons in the world an accurate QB and a poor OL.  They crumbled because of the OL.

What happens if Fant or Edoga struggle.  That can ruin the entire season.  If a WR struggles you can scheme to use Bell in different ways, can use Crowder and Herndon more.  There are ways to work around less talent at WR.  You can't do that with a bad OL.  That is why I'm so focused on OL first and taking some swings in the mid rounds.  OL can help or hurt the entire offense much more then a WR.

I think OL is going to get scooped up quicker then WRs given how many more teams need OL help.  It's easy to say well just grab Cleveland or someone like that but just like you are worried maybe Aiyuk or Higgins don't make it to 48 the same can be said for Cleveland and the other 2nd round OTs.

Thomas in round 1, Higgins in round 2 is my gut feeling how it goes.  I think Thomas makes it to us and Higgins gets passed up because of his lack of combine and makes it to 48.  

Higgins won't get past Philly in round 1.  Green Bay would take him in a heartbeat in round 1 as well.  Mims will long be gone as will Jefferson.  At 48 you are looking at Aiyuk, Shenault (maybe) Pittman.

26 minutes ago, dcat said:

Higgins won't get past Philly in round 1.  Green Bay would take him in a heartbeat in round 1 as well.  Mims will long be gone as will Jefferson.  At 48 you are looking at Aiyuk, Shenault (maybe) Pittman.

I feel like Higgins is gonna drop.   

1 hour ago, Rockice_8 said:

I’m feeling Thomas at 11. Actually think he’s going to be the pick also. Take the best WR left at 48 /trade up if you have to. I’d love Thomas/Pittman but it’s looking like Pittman is moving up boards.

My only concern waiting for a pass catcher is we sort of need a WR that can step in and contribute right away. 

Edited by GangGreen420

9 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

I’m feeling Thomas at 11. Actually think he’s going to be the pick also. Take the best WR left at 48 /trade up if you have to. I’d love Thomas/Pittman but it’s looking like Pittman is moving up boards.

My only concern waiting for a pass catcher is we sort of need a WR that can step in and contribute right away. 

Man if Pittman's moving up then someone has to be dropping.   Shenault I'd really the only guy I can see dropping.   But it's really hard to imagine Jeudy,  Lamb,  Ruggs,  Jefferson. Mims,  Reagor, Higgins,  Pittman, Aiyuk, and Hamler all going before 48.  That's 10 guys.   Over 1/5th of the guys drafted would have tooi be WRs.  

We can be pretty sure at least 4 QBs will go before 48, at least 5 or 6 OTs,  at least 3 or 4 DL, 3 or so edges,  1 or 2 interior OL, 4 or 5 CBs, 3 or 4 ILBers, a few safeties.   A RB or 2.  And those are just the sure things I can think of. 

2 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

I think we go OT as well. I'm just saying I'd rather the pick be a WR.

10 more days!!!

Im hoping for CeeDee Lamb. He’s officially my top offensive player. So him at 11 is a no brainer. Otherwise Wills or Whirfs or Jeudy. If none are there, trade back.

I never get the guy I want though. Last year it was Burns. The year prior it was Baker. So we likely don’t get Lamb.

Edited by SDotNova
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

10 more days!!!

Im hoping for CeeDee Lamb. He’s officially my top offensive player. So him at 11 is a no brainer. Otherwise Wills or Whirfs or Jeudy. If none are there, trade back.

I never get the guy I want though. Last year it was Burns. The year prior it was Baker. So we likely don’t get Lamb.

Lamb has passed Jeudy for me as who I want us to draft. Jeudy I do think is the "safer" pick. But I think Lamb's ceiling is higher.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Lamb has passed Jeudy for me as who I want us to draft. Jeudy I do think is the "safer" pick. But I think Lamb's ceiling is higher.

Same. I also pushed Ruggs down after watching him struggle against press coverage.

The one thing I would say about Jeudy’s perceived safety is that he mostly played the slot. So he’s safe because at worse he’s a good slot receiver. But he does have some risk for us since he’ll be asked to play outside. Jefferson is another guy. Safe but...  I still like both of them though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

I am starting to have more and more doubts about Lamb.  I think he will be fine but he was constantly playing soft coverage and beating poor tacklers after the catch.  He just hasn't proven it against higher comp as much as Jeudy and Ruggs. 

This is how I see the OT class as well for us at 11...

Wills: I think will be a great pro bowl caliber OT.

Wirfs: Needs some coaching to fix some fixable issues and has great athleticism.

Thomas: After Wills... is the safest pick at OT. I think he will be a good OT but not a game changer ever.

Becton: Needs a lot of work. Has the tools to be good, but is incredibly raw and needs a lot of coaching to be good. The riskiest of the group.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

I dont think anyone's saying they are comfortable with the OLine... just that the Oline has been addressed WAYYYY more than WR, CB, or even Edge rush. 

Sure,  I'd love 5 bonafide all pro linemen, however, there's a lot more positions on the football field than just OL. 

Others are right, we are incredibly thin at WR, not just in talent but on bodies as well. We are 5 deep at OL at 2 deep at WR. That's not helping a young QB. Even if darnold has 10 seconds a snap to throw, it doesnt matter if noone can get open, catch or get YAC. 

You're focusing way to much on what was our biggest need. 

And the argument of "if fant or someone else goes does down" is incredibly offbase. What if darnold goes down? By your logic we should take a QB at #11 in case darnold gets hurt. Injuries happen, but first you have to field a full team.

I also agree that the 2nd round of WR's prob wont reach us. Meanwhile we have the guys on oline to take a lineman a little later to develop IN CASE someone goes down. 

I'd go WR 1 and 3, OL in the 2nd, CB in the 3rd, and 4-7 look to sure up weak positions (pass rush, secondary help, back up rb, ect)

30 minutes ago, KodiakThunder said:

I dont think anyone's saying they are comfortable with the OLine... just that the Oline has been addressed WAYYYY more than WR, CB, or even Edge rush. 

Sure,  I'd love 5 bonafide all pro linemen, however, there's a lot more positions on the football field than just OL. 

Others are right, we are incredibly thin at WR, not just in talent but on bodies as well. We are 5 deep at OL at 2 deep at WR. That's not helping a young QB. Even if darnold has 10 seconds a snap to throw, it doesnt matter if noone can get open, catch or get YAC. 

You're focusing way to much on what was our biggest need. 

And the argument of "if fant or someone else goes does down" is incredibly offbase. What if darnold goes down? By your logic we should take a QB at #11 in case darnold gets hurt. Injuries happen, but first you have to field a full team.

I also agree that the 2nd round of WR's prob wont reach us. Meanwhile we have the guys on oline to take a lineman a little later to develop IN CASE someone goes down. 

I'd go WR 1 and 3, OL in the 2nd, CB in the 3rd, and 4-7 look to sure up weak positions (pass rush, secondary help, back up rb, ect)

Furthermore... what if Crowder or Perriman go down? Both are guys who have injuries in their careers (both could go down). And you're exactly right... we won't be getting the 2nd tier guys either in the WR class if we go OT at 11. We're getting the 3rd and 4th tier.

Tier 1: Lamb, Jeudy, Ruggs

Tier 2: Jefferson, Mims, Reagor, Higgins

Tier 3: Aiyuk, Hamler, Shenault, 

Tier 4: Claypool, Peoples-Jones, Pittman, Edwards, Jefferson

I think all the tier 1 and 2 guys will be gone by 48 and at least 2 if not all of the tier 3 guys. Yes I'm well aware that thats 9-10 WRs I think might go before 48. And I think that might be the case. I think at the end of Round 1 and early Round 2 these guys will fly off the board.