2020 NFL Draft: Discussion, Reports, Rumors, and Studies

jetskid007

26 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

You don't really know that and there are plenty of teams that could use a WR in the top ten.  The reason teams will take the OT is value.

I can only use available data. That’s why I pointed out all these big boards. I agree that teams could also take OT if they believe it’s a more valuable position. That’s fair. But as I mentioned in my previous post, that’s not the point being debated. @mek5295 is saying the OT are rated head and shoulders above the WR.

10 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

The thing is like anything we're doing at this stage is just predicting. So if we lets say go OT at 11 and then just love an edge or even a IOL at 48 now you're talking a decent drop off to what you're getting at WR. And that's what scares a lot of us. Where our OL after FA isn't set by any means. But there's starters there. Where at WR we need 2 starting WRs potentially. And still there's no guarantee we go WR there. Our system requires weapons. And we cant just throwing darts at mid late round guys that seem to continue to fail.

I guess this is where we completely disagree..

Edoga shouldn't be looked at as a "starter" any more than Josh Doctson. He was literally the second worst qualifying OT last season (PFF). When you factor in the contributions of Bell/Herndon and even potentially Enunwa (Unlikely I know), I like our weapons more than our OL. Again, I think we can feel comfortable about the likelihood of landing talented/impactful WRs outside of the first - You simply can't say that with the same degree of confidence regarding OL. Both groups need a ton of work so for me it's about where would I rather take a gamble? That's where opportunity cost comes into play. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

You chimed in saying I am in the minority that a big board for me has the WRs ahead and right there with the OTs. When the original conversation was that all 4 OTs are better than any WR. The word minority means less than 50%, so you like putting facts out there. So show me the 51% of experts that big boards have all 4 OTs ahead of any WR. Otherwise what you have said it completely false.

The debate was "as long as the top 4 offensive tackles are better than the best wide receiver in this class, which they are, the decision is easy." Which is stated as if its a fact that the 4 OTs are better. You chimed in saying that most experts have all the 4 OTs higher than the WRs. Which their big boards state otherwise. So it is a fact that most the experts think the WRs are right there and in a lot of cases better than the OTs. What a team needs plays into how an actual draft goes. More than 1/2 the teams ahead of us don't need a WR at all bc they've already invested quality picks in that position.

What I meant was that they will be selected first by the actual experts.  I don't care about a big board from PFF or NFL Network or whatever.  These top OT and WR prospects are all close yet the OTs will get drafted first more than likely.  What I'm saying is you are in the minority when it comes to the actual NFL GMs taking a WR over a OT.

45 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Here's a good debate……..with how bad we are in the 2nd round what position should we draft lol.

Haha. Good call. Maybe we should trade up into the late 1st. Go WR/OT at 11 than trade up and grab the other. Or just let our 2nd round pick expire until it’s the 3rd round. That might not work either. We suck in the 3rd as well. F we suck in the 1st too. Pack it boys. We are going to bomb next week.

Edited by SDotNova
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

Haha. Good call. Maybe we should trade up into the late 1st. Go WR/OT at 11 than trade up and grab the other. Or just let our 2nd round pick expire until it’s the 3rd round. That might not work either. We suck in the 3rd as well. F we suck in the 1st too. Pack it boys. We are going to bomb next week.

an advantage of trading back into round 1 is the benefit of having the 5th year option

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

I guess this is where we completely disagree..

Edoga shouldn't be looked at as a "starter" any more than Josh Doctson. He was literally the second worst qualifying OT last season (PFF). When you factor in the contributions of Bell/Herndon and even potentially Enunwa (Unlikely I know), I like our weapons more than our OL. Again, I think we can feel comfortable about the likelihood of landing talented/impactful WRs outside of the first - You simply can't say that with the same degree of confidence regarding OL. Both groups need a ton of work so for me it's about where would I rather take a gamble? That's where opportunity cost comes into play. 

You can’t factor in Enunwa. Love him as a player but he is done.

Doctson, Fant, Edoga, Lewis, Perriman, Van Rotten are question marks for me. I hope they play at least average but none of them is stopping me from upgrading them.

I trust Douglas though. He appears to be legit. So as a fan, I’m pretty optimistic about next week. I’ll believe in those guys until they show me I shouldn’t. 

Edited by SDotNova

2 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

You can’t factor in Enunwa. Love him as a player but he is done.

Doctson, Fant, Edoga, Lewis, Perriman, Van Rotten are question marks for me. I hope they play at least average but none of them is stopping me from upgrading them.

I trust Douglas though. So as a fan, I’m pretty optimistic about next week.

You literally just listed nearly our entire OL.  Of that doesn't tell you who we should be drafting IDK what does.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

The thing is like anything we're doing at this stage is just predicting. So if we lets say go OT at 11 and then just love an edge or even a IOL at 48 now you're talking a decent drop off to what you're getting at WR. And that's what scares a lot of us. Where our OL after FA isn't set by any means. But there's starters there. Where at WR we need 2 starting WRs potentially. And still there's no guarantee we go WR there. Our system requires weapons. And we cant just throwing darts at mid late round guys that seem to continue to fail.

Which is why it was ******* stupid to not resign Robby. I’d feel so much more comfortable with Robby and Crowder as starters knowing that if we went WR in rounds 2&3 we’d be set up long term. 

Just to throw a little more gas on the bonfire but we NEED A PASD RUSHER too: So where does that play out?!? 

14 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

What I meant was that they will be selected first by the actual experts.  I don't care about a big board from PFF or NFL Network or whatever.  These top OT and WR prospects are all close yet the OTs will get drafted first more than likely.  What I'm saying is you are in the minority when it comes to the actual NFL GMs taking a WR over a OT.

Well you chimed in when the discussion wasn’t about who will get picked 1st it was about who’s better and higher ranked prospects. Team needs come in to when a player is picked. I’m sorry some don’t see that bc this franchise never seems to do that. But other successful ones do. So of course a team like CLE isn’t going WR ahead of us. The Chargers, the Cardinals, etc. Bc that’s not a need for them. That doesn’t make Mekhi Becton better than CeeDee Lamb bc the team that picks him is set at WR. 

9 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

You literally just listed nearly our entire OL.  Of that doesn't tell you who we should be drafting IDK what does.

OL is a big need for sure. But we’re debating two different things. Your debate is we should go OT because it’s a need position and OT is a more valuable position (correct me if I’m wrong). I won’t argue against that. That’s a fair argument to me.

The comment being debated was that 4 OT are heads and shoulders above the WR. That’s bold. I honestly can’t find anyone who gets paid for this stuff who believes that. Brandt was the one guy and even he had Lamb and Jeudy right behind. So it’s not even clear to him.  Nobody will call reach if a team picks one of those guys in top 10.

OL is an issue for sure. I only have full confidence in McGovern. The others I’m hopeful about. At WR, I only trust Crowder. The others, I’m hopeful about.

Edited by SDotNova
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, xenajets said:

Which is why it was ******* stupid to not resign Robby. I’d feel so much more comfortable with Robby and Crowder as starters knowing that if we went WR in rounds 2&3 we’d be set up long term. 

Just to throw a little more gas on the bonfire but we NEED A PASD RUSHER too: So where does that play out?!? 

In Round 2. So we can draft the Saunders and Evans of the draft in Round 3.