Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

1 hour ago, mission27 said:

South Carolina has a pretty good case for this IMO between falling case numbers the last 12-16 days and MoL thats hovering around the Tier 1 threshold.  Its also 77 and humid af in Charleston today.

This is wonderful news thanks mission. How can I look up the case numbers for each state over the past couple months?

13 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Allowing movie theaters and gyms to reopen in phase one seems kinda dumb to me.

Gyms are gross in general and movie theaters stack people on top of each other.  Even if social distancing is practices, I can’t believe all of the hard surfaces will be cleaned well enough, especially in a movie theater.

In the gym you would need to disinfect every machine/bar/dumbbell/weight after someone touches it.  At some point doing all of that becomes impractical, which is where we are at right now I think.  It would be much more reasonable if gyms limited the amount of people coming in, and limited what machines/areas were open.  

Movie theaters could space out which seats are in use.  It would be much easier to sanitize all of the hard plastic on the seats and trays after each show versus how a gym would need to sanitize everything.  

23 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Allowing movie theaters and gyms to reopen in phase one seems kinda dumb to me.

Gyms are gross in general and movie theaters stack people on top of each other.  Even if social distancing is practices, I can’t believe all of the hard surfaces will be cleaned well enough, especially in a movie theater.

Agreed

I think you could make an argument for gyms from a cost-benefit perspective with VERY strict distancing and cleaning requirements and maybe checking temps of people before they come in.  Its risky but there are also significant social and public health advantages to having gyms open (even though they are clearly not "essential")

Movie theaters, although you could theoretically do social distancing, just seem way too risky for the benefit.  If people ignore distancing you have them sitting next to each other for hours, its too dark to enforce distancing or enforce people wearing masks (when they'll be eating and drink) and movie theaters are dirty.  And even though movie theaters are great, realistically people can watch movies at home and get 90% of the same experience.  They should remain closed for a while imo similar to sporting events

Planes are a risk too for similar reasons, but much easier to enforce rules about face masks, temperature checks, etc. and the cost-benefit is a lot different because people need to get places to resume their lives

Edited by mission27
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

In the gym you would need to disinfect every machine/bar/dumbbell/weight after someone touches it.  At some point doing all of that becomes impractical, which is where we are at right now I think.  It would be much more reasonable if gyms limited the amount of people coming in, and limited what machines/areas were open.  

a lot of it would have to be done by the patrons as gyms don’t employ enough staff for that.  At that point you’re essentially responsible for yourself and have to assume the previous person didn’t do anything.

And machines seem easier to me than dumbbells and free weights.  Who’s wiping down every plate, all over?  How hard are you working to make sure you clean the knurling off the bars and dumbbells?

4 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Movie theaters could space out which seats are in use.  It would be much easier to sanitize all of the hard plastic on the seats and trays after each show versus how a gym would need to sanitize everything.  

What kind of spacing?  Every other row and multiple seats between unrelated parties?  At that point you’re operating a less than 50 percent capacity at best.  Is that even financially viable?

All I know is I won’t be going to a movie any time soon.

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

What kind of spacing?  Every other row and multiple seats between unrelated parties?  At that point you’re operating a less than 50 percent capacity at best.  Is that even financially viable?

It could be more financially viable than 0 percent capacity tbf, if you are already paying rent on the building, etc.

A lot of movie theaters operate at 50 percent capacity max anyway at least for most times of day / most movies.  Youd probably need some sort of subsidy from hollywood to make it practical though

1 minute ago, mission27 said:

Agreed

I think you could make an argument for gyms from a cost-benefit perspective with VERY strict distancing and cleaning requirements and maybe checking temps of people before they come in.  Its risky but there are also significant social and public health advantages to having gyms open (even though they are clearly not "essential")

There are definitely benefits of a gym, but people can be creative and figure out ways to exercise that are less risky for the time being imo.  

Movie theaters, although you could theoretically do social distancing, just seem way too risky for the benefit.  If people ignore distancing you have them sitting next to each other for hours, its too dark to enforce distancing or enforce people wearing masks (when they'll be eating and drink) and movie theaters are dirty.

not to mention, who’s cleaning theses seats between shows?  I don’t want to stereotype a whole group of people, but most of the folks working at movie theaters near me are high school kids and in my experience high school kids aren’t great about taking their job seriously and being thorough in their work. Broad generalization, but still..

Planes are a risk too for similar reasons, but much easier to enforce rules about face masks, temperature checks, etc. and the cost-benefit is a lot different because people need to get places to resume their lives

define need.  Need to travel for business?  Perhaps.  Funerals, weddings, etc? Sure.  A weekend in Vegas or the beach?  Idk.  

All I know is I have no intention of flying for a while either (not a big deal for me, I hate flying to begin with).

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

a lot of it would have to be done by the patrons as gyms don’t employ enough staff for that.  At that point you’re essentially responsible for yourself and have to assume the previous person didn’t do anything.

And machines seem easier to me than dumbbells and free weights.  Who’s wiping down every plate, all over?  How hard are you working to make sure you clean the knurling off the bars and dumbbells?

All I know is I won’t be going to a movie any time soon.

If gyms want to reopen, and that is how they reopen, employ the staff.  My essential business has two people right now responsible for sanitizing high-touch points.  While at the start my boss was operating at a loss, we are now at a point where the labor cost is in line because more people have taken LOA's.  But if you want to open, and the way you open is to have five people sanitizing equipment, then you have a decision to make.  

At least the movie theater can scale.  If you know you are operating at 50% less capacity, you can schedule 50% less hours.  You have less people to serve concessions, less food to make and less to clean up.  While cleaning up, you sanitize.  If only certain seats are for sale, you can manage who sits where (and there will be plenty of seats to move to if people want to move around.). They could also take seats out, or at least remove the cushions.  

5 minutes ago, mission27 said:

It could be more financially viable than 0 percent capacity tbf, if you are already paying rent on the building, etc.

I mean it’s viable and they’re turning a profit or they’re not.

5 minutes ago, mission27 said:

A lot of movie theaters operate at 50 percent capacity max anyway at least for most times of day / most movies.  Youd probably need some sort of subsidy from hollywood to make it practical though

I’d imagine the concessions is where they make a ton of their money and I couldn’t imagine sitting in a seat that was perhaps cleaned well (or not) and touching the seat and then shoveling popcorn into my face.  

Seems like an absurd risk for the privilege of spending 20 bucks per person to watch a movie.

Im champing at the bit as much as the next guy to get out and do something, anything, but not that.  Hard pass for now.

• Like 1

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

define need.  Need to travel for business?  Perhaps.  Funerals, weddings, etc? Sure.  A weekend in Vegas or the beach?  Idk.  

I mean its a slippery slope.  People have family, friends, etc. they haven't been able to see for a month and a half and may not be able to see without getting on a plane.  Which btw, is not prohibited right now in any state, everyone is free to do so if they wish.  Who is to judge what is 'needed'?  I dont think its reasonable to tell people their travel is restricted until there is a vaccine.  Many people have no need to get on an airplane to live their lives and that's great but there are critical parts of our economy and people's lives that rely on airplane travel and where there is no real alternative.  Lets say you live in New York and your fiance lives in San Francisco.  Should you not be able to see each other for 18 months?  And if we're going to allow stuff like that you can't really tell people they can't or shouldn't go on vacation.  If you're allowing non-essential travel you're allowing non-essential travel.  Many people may choose its not worth the risk and that's ok.

100%, in Phase 1, we should discourage all non-essential travel both for business and pleasure.  But I think its entirely appropriate to lift this guidance in Phase 2 and Phase 3 given the cost-benefit.  Our economy and lives can't go back to 80% normal without airplane travel, its too essential to too many things, there are common sense precautions you can take, and its actually very easy to contract trace if there are outbreaks on planes.

3 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

If gyms want to reopen, and that is how they reopen, employ the staff.  My essential business has two people right now responsible for sanitizing high-touch points.  While at the start my boss was operating at a loss, we are now at a point where the labor cost is in line because more people have taken LOA's.  But if you want to open, and the way you open is to have five people sanitizing equipment, then you have a decision to make.  

I’m not saying it can’t be done, anything can be done I suppose, but gyms have always been a Petri dish.  

3 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

At least the movie theater can scale.  If you know you are operating at 50% less capacity, you can schedule 50% less hours.  You have less people to serve concessions, less food to make and less to clean up.  While cleaning up, you sanitize.  If only certain seats are for sale, you can manage who sits where (and there will be plenty of seats to move to if people want to move around.). They could also take seats out, or at least remove the cushions.

yeah the concern would be what they do after the lights are turned down, but removing seats could do a lot there.

Im curious as to what kind of demand there is for going to a movie theater right now?  I can’t imagine it’s a strong desire for many people.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I mean it’s viable and they’re turning a profit or they’re not.

I’d imagine the concessions is where they make a ton of their money and I couldn’t imagine sitting in a seat that was perhaps cleaned well (or not) and touching the seat and then shoveling popcorn into my face.  

Seems like an absurd risk for the privilege of spending 20 bucks per person to watch a movie.

Im champing at the bit as much as the next guy to get out and do something, anything, but not that.  Hard pass for now.

Then don't go to a theater

• Like 1