Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

9 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I have a huge concern for medical. Italy had a horrible time handling the flu in 2017/2018 and I’ve read some people speculating that the health care system was still in recovery from that time period and the tax it put on people and supply.

I share your concerns. The toll on everyone’s medical staff is huge.

12 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

My dad just told me that he thinks he had COVID back in early February. He had all the symptoms and said it was like nothing he had ever had before. He was feeling so bad he left his trip to Arizona early so he could be close to the Mayo Clinic in MN. There obviously weren't tests or really any knowledge of it in the US back then, but he was a doctor for 35 years, so I tend to believe him. He also visited 40 countries in mid-late 2019, including SE Asia and Italy, so...

That doesn't surprise me at all, considering what is known about the virus now.  The problem is that there aren't enough tests to begin testing for anti-bodies.  

10 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

You mean travel?  That’s gonna happen now too.

Oh, we should absolutely not have any international travel right now unless we have a direct border with that country.  The more I'm reading, the more I am buying into the notion of the west coast and east coast having different strains of Covid-19 due to mutations.  The one from Europe, currently on the east coast, seems to be much more virulent than the west coast.  Interstate travel should even be limited.  

Also, that meme has been going around on social media, and like a lot of memes, there is some truth in it.  The second wave of the Spanish Flu came from all of the soldiers rotating through and coming home, bringing multiple mutations of the virus with them from different parts of the world.  I don't think we are going to have a second flare come because of that, as we obviously don't have a world war going on, and hopefully international travel is restricted for some time. 

3 hours ago, Xenos said:

I can't believe that companies like Ruth Chris and Shake Shack (I know they gave the money back) were one of the reasons my wife's company couldn't get their loan. I know there's other reasons, and that places like Ruth Chris have franchises. But still, seriously?

There were obviously some loopholes left to help some larger companies exploit this.  However, when you talk about a franchise, you are talking about someone who is typically operating under an LLC or sole proprietor.  That helps mitigate losses to them as the business owner, as well as the franchise company.  

So why should a Ruth Chris franchisee, who is either shut down or under limited operations, and has under 500 employees, not qualify?  He's operating his own restaurant, paying a premium to use and operate the Ruth Chris brand, supply chain and business structure, but everything else falls to him.  

The one benefit that some of the franchise companies might have is a larger legal department who could parse the wording of the bill faster and get it into the hands of franchisees, whereas the bar owner down the street has to either go through it himself, or schedule a time with an attorney to go through it (and my guess is that attorney is backed up on numerous other issues right now too.) My boss is a franchisee, and there has always been a great relationship between the home office and the franchisees in regards to support for the owners and working collaboratively.  The legal department absolutely powered through everything and had information available within 24 hours of the bill passing, as most of the franchisees in the company qualify for PPP.   Meanwhile, others like McDonalds are well documented how against the grain they could be and how they often make decisions without much consulting with the franchisees.  

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

I'm fully ready to see something harsh handed out to these publicly traded companies...

- Fines 10x higher than the loan request ($200,000,000 fine to Ruth Chris sounds fair).

- Liquidation of any shares their Board of Directors may have (because these decisions aren't made in a vacuum by some Director of Payroll).

- Jail time for C-Level employees (CEO and CFO at minimum, 12-18 months at minimum).

- 10x fines to the issuing back who processed the application (because someone at BoA or Chase had to look at that request and question it, but here we are).

This, to me - this is probably more unethical than anything Enron did. They had absolutely no need to request this money, but they did so anyways, understanding there's not much pie to go around. Something like 66% of the allocated money went to publicly traded companies? Really? 

I've never been this sort of guy on issues like this, but this makes me SO angry.

My question would be are they going to the publicly traded companies, or going to the franchisee through their LLC or similar type business entity.  Because it's a big difference.  

13 hours ago, acowboys62 said:

Would you rather try to adapt and be given a chance to find a way or just told you are done and must cease operations?  Find me a small business owner that isn't willing to try and make it work because the current path is guaranteed failure for most.  Risk reward.

No one is telling anyone they’re done. Business owners know their operating costs. If allowed to open, with social distancing restrictions that eliminate the potential for profit they’re simply incurring debt to keep the doors open. 

My wife’s company, 4 restaurants closed, only one doing takeout simply to create some cash flow. When they reopen the ability to earn profit will totally depend on social distancing requirements. If restrictions force them to reduce table capacity to a point they can’t make profit they won’t reopen. There’s simply no point in opening to incur more debt. 

Numerous restaurants where I live have already closed permanently. Bailout money etc. isn’t enough and the writing is on the wall for reduced occupancy when allowed to reopen. It’s especially grim for anyone that opened in the last three years. 

You mention giving them a chance which is a fair point however restaurants can’t simply start selling other products. My point in reference to restaurants was simply that the rush to open is largely a moot point. Opening with social distancing and a frightened public won’t save them. The concept of opening prematurely simply won’t help economically and has a potential for far more harm than good.

Some businesses like retail have a fighting chance because they have options. Social distancing is achievable and they can offer curb side pickup and shipping. Many retailers were in trouble before this and increased online shopping that’s resulted from the closures will be another nail in their business but their opening certainly gives them a chance however slim. It’s tough because most retailers that are doing well are also open currently.

Another issue with opening is health insurance. It’s not an issue in a Canada however it seems many people currently working in the U.S. and those that will be amongst the first to return to work lack health insurance.

Edited by diehardlionfan
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, mission27 said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/21/georgia-got-lifting-coronavirus-restrictions-backwards-connecticut-gov-ned-lamont-says.html

I see a lot of people saying this but Georgia Gov. made a good point today

If you are a state that didn't lock down as hard in the first place, your most essential / easiest to distance businesses are already open

So the next step has to be stuff like gyms, right?  Those are the guidelines

I totally appreciate the concern with the George situation but someone is going to have to be first and whoever it is is going to be criticized no matter what, Georgia is not in a worse spot right now than many areas in Europe that are opening similar things back up.  Maybe they could've held off on movie theaters and massage parlors 

Yeah, that's a great point.  Some other businesses should've been given the chance to stay open, but here we are.  Maryland is still a couple weeks from opening- we should have a plan later in the week- but we just allowed barbershops/salons to open by appointment only, and following strict guidelines, to do business for essential workers who need to be within safety/food safety guidelines for their jobs.  It's still considering them an essential business, and you must have a note from the essential business for them to do business with you, but it's also a start at seeing how something reopens, and a business that needs to be socially distanced at that.  

1 minute ago, diehardlionfan said:

No one is telling anyone they’re done. Business owners know their operating costs. If allowed to open, with social distancing restrictions that eliminate the potential for profit they’re simply incurring debt to keep the doors open. 

My wife’s company, 4 restaurants closed, only one doing takeout simply to create some cash flow. When they reopen the ability to earn profit will totally depend on social distancing requirements. If restrictions force them to reduce table capacity to a point they can’t make profit they won’t reopen. There’s simply no point in opening to incur more debt. 

Numerous restaurants where I live have already closed permanently. Bailout money etc. isn’t enough and the writing is on the wall for reduced occupancy when allowed to reopen. It’s especially grim for anyone that opened in the last three years. 

You mention giving them a chance which is a fair point however restaurants can’t simply start selling other products. My point in reference to restaurants was simply that the rush to open is largely a moot point. Opening with social distancing and a frightened public won’t save them. The concept of opening prematurely simply won’t help economically and has a potential for far more harm than good.

Some of the restaurants in certain parts of my area in Maryland- specifically downtown Annapolis where there is no super market and some of the rural areas- have started selling produce and proteins in bulk to serve as a supermarket of sorts.  It's especially been helpful downtown, because if you don't have a car, it's really hard to take public transportation to a super market and be able to stock up and return home.  

I also see some restaurants trying to adapt for the home delivery market.  DoorDash, GrubHub, UberEats, etc, all charge a commission to the restaurant.  A large restaurant chain can negotiate their own commission, but a mom and pop place isn't going to have that luxury.  They either accept what the commission is, or the third-party walks away.  This commission is taking most of the profit from smaller restaurants right now, and they will have to raise prices (always a risk, especially right now) to compensate.  So I absolutely see a potential market for home delivery systems right now if you are a restaurant.  Might be a bit tougher for a bar to make it that way though.  

6 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Some of the restaurants in certain parts of my area in Maryland- specifically downtown Annapolis where there is no super market and some of the rural areas- have started selling produce and proteins in bulk to serve as a supermarket of sorts.  It's especially been helpful downtown, because if you don't have a car, it's really hard to take public transportation to a super market and be able to stock up and return home.  

I also see some restaurants trying to adapt for the home delivery market.  DoorDash, GrubHub, UberEats, etc, all charge a commission to the restaurant.  A large restaurant chain can negotiate their own commission, but a mom and pop place isn't going to have that luxury.  They either accept what the commission is, or the third-party walks away.  This commission is taking most of the profit from smaller restaurants right now, and they will have to raise prices (always a risk, especially right now) to compensate.  So I absolutely see a potential market for home delivery systems right now if you are a restaurant.  Might be a bit tougher for a bar to make it that way though.  

That’s great for those restaurants. It will vary by jurisdiction with differing health codes etc. 

our restaurants are offering delivery and takeout as well but many restaurants serve food not suitable for delivery. In addition delivery for many restaurants is down during the pandemic over customer concerns about packaging etc. The delivery takeout model seems to be allowing fast food restaurants some relief but steakhouses, fine dining, Italian, French don’t really lend themselves to that model. My wife’s company operates four restaurants. Only one is offering takeout delivery because the business simply isn’t there. These restaurants are hugely popular and during normal times have lengthy lineups on weekends for breakfast. Return on capital runs approximately 16 months. 

Someone was wishing for positive information etc. I think during times like these you have to look internally for most of that.

Individuals posting on this site are probably better off than 95% of the people in this world.

While it creates hardship it also affords a unique opportunity for sharing time with family. 

Crisis affords great opportunities for change. There will be new business opportunities, chances to improve society.

Its an opportunity to remember what’s really important because the, “Noise,” of life is reduced.

I could go on but I think I’ve made my point.

So what is everyone doing to get through these times?

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

Someone was wishing for positive information etc. I think during times like these you have to look internally for most of that.

Individuals posting on this site are probably better off than 95% of the people in this world.

While it creates hardship it also affords a unique opportunity for sharing time with family. 

Crisis affords great opportunities for change. There will be new business opportunities, chances to improve society.

Its an opportunity to remember what’s really important because the, “Noise,” of life is reduced.

I could go on but I think I’ve made my point.

So what is everyone doing to get through these times?

The MoL, which is myself and @TLO, have devoted all of our free time and energy that would otherwise be used for more frivolous pursuits to informing the public and other research that may be helpful in these times

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

That’s great for those restaurants. It will vary by jurisdiction with differing health codes etc. 

our restaurants are offering delivery and takeout as well but many restaurants serve food not suitable for delivery. In addition delivery for many restaurants is down during the pandemic over customer concerns about packaging etc. The delivery takeout model seems to be allowing fast food restaurants some relief but steakhouses, fine dining, Italian, French don’t really lend themselves to that model. My wife’s company operates four restaurants. Only one is offering takeout delivery because the business simply isn’t there. These restaurants are hugely popular and during normal times have lengthy lineups on weekends for breakfast. Return on capital runs approximately 16 months. 

Well, those restaurants are going to have to figure out a way to adapt, or else they are going to go under.  Maybe you design a "delivery only" menu with food that is going to keep or be delivered well.  One thing is for sure in all of this, people are going to have to adapt, and that includes business owners.  We've done a lot of adapting while implementing new procedures to to Covid at our restaurants, sometimes daily changes.  Thankfully we have a resilient team that can take these changes and keep going.  

Also, I'm sorry the business isn't there.  Every owner is faced with their own choices on what they are going to do in this time.  I can't fault someone for not staying open because they are going to incur more debt than it's worth.  Everyone faces that choice.  I'm thankful that I have a boss who wants everyone to be able to pay their bills and work their hours, so he offered everyone their hours from my store that closed to other locations.  We are also looking to reopen my location next week, and it's certainly going to operate with a loss, but he wants everyone to be able to keep working if that's their choice.  He;s also set up a "disaster relief" fund for team members to apply for (and includes spouses on it), is planning to start paying a "hazard" rate tacked onto everyone's hourly pay and will even give a small stipend to people on leave of absence no matter their reason for being on one.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Well, those restaurants are going to have to figure out a way to adapt, or else they are going to go under.  Maybe you design a "delivery only" menu with food that is going to keep or be delivered well.  One thing is for sure in all of this, people are going to have to adapt, and that includes business owners.  We've done a lot of adapting while implementing new procedures to to Covid at our restaurants, sometimes daily changes.  Thankfully we have a resilient team that can take these changes and keep going.  

Also, I'm sorry the business isn't there.  Every owner is faced with their own choices on what they are going to do in this time.  I can't fault someone for not staying open because they are going to incur more debt than it's worth.  Everyone faces that choice.  I'm thankful that I have a boss who wants everyone to be able to pay their bills and work their hours, so he offered everyone their hours from my store that closed to other locations.  We are also looking to reopen my location next week, and it's certainly going to operate with a loss, but he wants everyone to be able to keep working if that's their choice.  He;s also set up a "disaster relief" fund for team members to apply for (and includes spouses on it), is planning to start paying a "hazard" rate tacked onto everyone's hourly pay and will even give a small stipend to people on leave of absence no matter their reason for being on one.  

It’s awesome your boss is doing that. 

Business will most certainly have to adapt but there’s limits to what can be accomplished. Fast food and family style restaurants have that ability. Others, like steakhouses are rather limited. I don’t know about you but I wouldn’t even consider a delivered steak. Not all of the specialty restaurants can simply retool. 

10 minutes ago, mission27 said:

The MoL, which is myself and @TLO, have devoted all of our free time and energy that would otherwise be used for more frivolous pursuits to informing the public and other research that may be helpful in these times

And it makes for an interesting read. 😎

• Like 3