Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

Just now, theJ said:

That's fair.  I've talked about it in pages past, but i can't expect anyone to have kept up with hundreds of pages at this point.  Or remember who said what.

For the record, I think both you and @Shanedorf provided reasonable takes on this. Showcasing there are significant considerations across the board. And we have to hope our leaders are accounting for all of this. Or, better yet, do whatever we can (voting at a minimum) to ensure they are.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I don't think you are, even thought plenty are. I just read your previous post. I just can't piece together the thought of losing 1%. It's insane.

The truth is going to be in the middle. 

Option A - wait 12-18 months for vaccine, and the world goes to crap

Option B - give up on current practices, and accept millions of deaths in consequence.

Option C - neither A or B, because they both really suck.

We need to work out what Option C really is, because neither A or B are acceptable.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, theJ said:

Option B - give up on current practices, and accept millions of deaths in consequence.

We need to work out what Option C really is, because neither A or B are acceptable.  

I don't think A or B happens to be honest, because yes, they suck. I think things will in fact slowly be opened up. There's a lot of things that need to happen though. The curve needs to be able to stay flattened for awhile. That means social distancing, to some extent, will have to continue. These protests need to stop (I think Kentucky had it's biggest spikes after them).  Lots of little things.

• Like 1

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Which articles?

Just a general comment, it seems to be 80% of the articles that get tossed around (not just here, some other forums and spaces I frequent) are all geared to what ISN'T working and just general negativity.  I think myself, like many, want to hear a few good news stories every once in a while.  Tell me what is working, tell me what progress is being made on PPE manufacturing progress, etc.  Honestly feels like we have been in a loop for a month. 

5 minutes ago, acowboys62 said:

Just a general comment, it seems to be 80% of the articles that get tossed around (not just here, some other forums and spaces I frequent) are all geared to what ISN'T working and just general negativity.  I think myself, like many, want to hear a few good news stories every once in a while.  Tell me what is working, tell me what progress is being made on PPE manufacturing progress, etc.  Honestly feels like we have been in a loop for a month. 

i provided a positive one in the same post about invermectin

1 minute ago, mistakey said:

i provided a positive one in the same post about invermectin

Open, but have not read yet...and like I said, I am not being specific to any one thing here...general frustration.  

...Pretty sure I give my dog invermectin...heartworm maybe? 

13 minutes ago, theJ said:

There is going to be a time to start relaxing things up, which is what Option C is going to be. Eventually, you start phasing things back to normal, but you do it slowly and you test to make sure that you know the impact of each choice along the way.  The time isn't now. And it's probably not going to be a month from now either. We're still averaging 30,000 new cases a day, and have been in a plateau for a few weeks now. While healthcare systems may not be operating at 100% in every room across the country, for all reasonable discussions of what a "maxed out" healthcare system looks like, we're maxed out. 

That plateau is noteworthy, by the way, because we aren't playing with house money. We've taken a month plus of social distancing just to get to where we are, and if we open this up to soon or too wide, we run the risk of having to go full quarantine and start this month+ long effort of social distancing all over again just to get back to square 1. Except this time healthcare workers are wiped out and sick going into the peak. 

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 2

Just a general comment, it seems to be 80% of the articles that get tossed around (not just here, some other forums and spaces I frequent) are all geared to what ISN'T working and just general negativity.

You said they’re using hydroxychloroquine and it’s effective in NJ as a direct response to an article that states it’s been ineffective and leads to a higher mortality rate.

Im just curious as to what data you’re using to lead you to believe it’s being used as en effective treatment?

I think myself, like many, want to hear a few good news stories every once in a while.  Tell me what is working

social distancing 🤷‍♂️ .  that’s about it right now.  

We have no vaccine, no established/effective treatment protocol for severe cases and no natural immunity.

, tell me what progress is being made on PPE manufacturing progress, etc.  Honestly feels like we have been in a loop for a month. 

I mean, that’s all well and good but kind of unrelated to your initial point of there being “unpublished articles” about the effectiveness of hydroxychloroquine.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, acowboys62 said:

Open, but have not read yet...and like I said, I am not being specific to any one thing here...general frustration.  

...Pretty sure I give my dog invermectin...heartworm maybe? 

It’s a heartworm med for dogs (amongst other uses).

• Like 1

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Yep, I read that as a very specific accusation of deliberate censorship. 

On a completely unrelated note to censorship, Kim Jong Un may have had a bad surgery and be on his deathbed. Waiting on NK to confirm...

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

You said they’re using hydroxychloroquine and it’s effective in NJ as a direct response to an article that states it’s been ineffective and leads to a higher mortality rate.

Im just curious as to what data you’re using to lead you to believe it’s being used as en effective treatment?

social distancing 🤷‍♂️ .  that’s about it right now.  

We have no vaccine, no established/effective treatment protocol for severe cases and no natural immunity.

I mean, that’s all well and good but kind of unrelated to your initial point of there being “unpublished articles” about the effectiveness of hydroxychloroquine.

....I don't know how to do that fancy multi quote thing. 

I know because my wife, prescribes it, and it is being used at all of her hospitals and rehabs with more frequency than remdesivir, no article, just my daily "what is going on updates"

The social distancing thing...and its funny, because my life is like 95% normal in this current environment and yet I am still frustrated.  A lot of that stems from knowing family/friends are directly impacted and there is not a damn thing I can do. 

I should have been clearer in my comment, I did not mean it to be specifically about hydroxychloroquine or the effectiveness or uselessness of the drug, more so just general speak and that just happened to be the post I quoted. 

1 minute ago, acowboys62 said:

....I don't know how to do that fancy multi quote thing. 

I know because my wife, prescribes it, and it is being used at all of her hospitals and rehabs with more frequency than remdesivir, no article, just my daily "what is going on updates"

The social distancing thing...and its funny, because my life is like 95% normal in this current environment and yet I am still frustrated.  A lot of that stems from knowing family/friends are directly impacted and there is not a damn thing I can do. 

I should have been clearer in my comment, I did not mean it to be specifically about hydroxychloroquine or the effectiveness or uselessness of the drug, more so just general speak and that just happened to be the post I quoted. 

...that's your criticism? Really? What is the media supposed to do here, daily updates for every single clinical trial for COVID-19? That's absurd. Even if they could, it'd just be all noise.

A good media wouldn't report anything positively or negatively until there is something data driven. For someone who can't wait to criticize the media at the drop of a hat, you're effectively asking them to publish non-data driven stories (...wait for it..."fake news"). 

• Like 1