Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

Just now, rob_shadows said:

They should be giving you guys bonus pay right now because of the increased workloads tbh

The union and postal management are still pushing for a "bailout" which they would in turn then use to give us hazard pay. We still technically don't have a contract either - last one expired back in September...so once that gets done, we should also be getting a pay raise and a back-pay check. 

• Like 2

People that feel the need to 'protest' after a few weeks of being at home are really in for a rude awakening. This ain't going anywhere without a vaccine, and I don't think most people realize that we have never succeeded in creating a vaccine for a coronavirus. Not MERS, not SARS.

• Like 3

I didn't see the proposal to give up to 25,000 in hazard pay to all "essential" workers... Another one I doubt actually passes but more proposals means more of a chance one will actually pass and give me more money so I'm all for it... Keep proposing stuff!

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

People that feel the need to 'protest' after a few weeks of being at home are really in for a rude awakening. This ain't going anywhere without a vaccine, and I don't think most people realize that we have never succeeded in creating a vaccine for a coronavirus. Not MERS, not SARS.

To be fair funding for a vaccine for MERS and SARS has been pretty low because they have been relatively contained. 

• Like 1

So I had no idea just how encompassing the pandemic relief unemployment package is...

My cousin worked UNDER THE TABLE as a dishwasher, he worked about 20ish hours a week making like 10 bucks an hour...

... He just found out that even though he was under the table he can get unemployment now and will get 733 a week.

How the hell does that even work? You can't prove an under the table job so couldn't anyone apply and get it?

7 hours ago, mistakey said:

so lets clarify here,
whats your position on seasonality and how large of an impact it will have on declining case numbers in warm/summer months

This is the MoL's position:

1. There is overwhelming evidence that the virus is seasonal like any other viral upper respiratory infection 

2. Given how other similar viruses work + other evidence, we think the impact is somewhat significant (i.e. if you could separate out other factors it would be measurable) 

3. This virus is 2-3x more contagious than the flu, so even if R0 is reduced by seasonality, that alone likely is not enough to get an R0 below 1 and prevent outbreaks

4. Unlike the flu or common cold we are mounting an aggressive public health response to the coronavirus that is likely to have an equal or bigger impact when compared to seasonality and combined these two factors are likely to slow spread significantly over the summer of 2020

5. There will still likely be outbreaks over the summer but hopefully the clusters will be much smaller

6. There is a real risk of another huge wave next winter and that makes finding a vaccine or therapeutics ASAP very important 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mission27 said:

https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavirus/ny-coronavirus-20200419-g2gyyetwiza5xbp37xsfmhpite-story.html

Sweden smugly took the MoL course of action and smugly succeeded 

I posted this in the earlier pages but how much of what Sweden is doing can be applied to us? Some of their advantages include:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-19/sweden-says-controversial-covid-19-strategy-is-proving-effective

1) Better healthcare system

2) More than half Swedish households are single person, meaning better social distancing

3) Built for WFH

Edited by Xenos
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rob_shadows said:

To be fair funding for a vaccine for MERS and SARS has been pretty low because they have been relatively contained. 

Yeah SARS and MERS were all contained. We got lucky with those two.

2 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

So just to play devils advocate, if a vaccine isn’t something we should expect, what are we waiting for as far as opening things up (to some degree)?

At some point people have to earn a living, see family and friends, live their life as best they can (while being reasonable).

I’m not saying now is that time or whatever, just that there’s no great option here.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

So just to play devils advocate, if a vaccine isn’t something we should expect, what are we waiting for as far as opening things up (to some degree)?

At some point people have to earn a living, see family and friends, live their life as best they can (while being reasonable).

I’m not saying now is that time or whatever, just that there’s no great option here.

Flatten the curve, see how things go, when things spike do it again. Keep the numbers at manageable levels.

Just now, Heimdallr said:

Flatten the curve,

the curve has flattened in most areas. There were really only a few areas that struggled to meet the needs as far as healthcare resources go.

The problem with this particular virus is the incubation time. As soon as you start seeing significant spikes, the cat’s half out of the bag without distancing measures.

Just now, Heimdallr said:

see how things go, when things spike do it again. Keep the numbers at manageable levels.

This is the unfortunate truth.  Even when things open up, it’s likely temporary.  I’ll be shocked if stay at home orders aren’t a semi regular occurrence, at least in hot spots, for the foreseeable future.

Businesses need to adapt, and quickly. PPE production needs to increase exponentially. 

Hopefully once you get the virus you develop some immunity to it, or at least subsequent infections are less severe.

• Like 2