Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

3 minutes ago, Xenos said:

That 60K projection by the IHME doesn't look so good right now.

Tbf, the 60K projection was only a projection through June and assumed full mitigation. And it probably didn't account for reclassification of deaths in places like New York City.

I'm sure we'll be above that, probably closer to 70-80k by mid-June imo, but we'll see.  I think the actual IHME number was like 68k or something.  60k was always optimistic. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, mission27 said:

You are calling out the MoL by arguing against a position the MoL never advocated... doesn't really make a ton of sense tbh

so lets clarify here,
whats your position on seasonality and how large of an impact it will have on declining case numbers in warm/summer months

1 hour ago, mission27 said:

I agree with you there are other a bunch of factors, but if we're going to point at Singapore to discuss seasonality, I think its fair to point out they have done much better for a long time than similar metro areas including places like Seoul and Tokyo that are also advanced economies with great healthcare systems and testing capacity, and part of that might be heat and humidity.  Hong Kong is in the same boat.

In some ways they may be a victim of their own success.  It sounds like they were very lax in monitoring migrant populations living in dense neighborhoods and large clusters developed there, which then spread to other parts of the city. 

I think you’re spot on for the most part. My sister in law and family live in Hong Kong. They reacted very quickly.

Edited by diehardlionfan
Clarity

13 minutes ago, TVScout said:

Again, hormones.

No testosterone?

Yeah perhaps

Some people are saying the virus can live in your testicles and hide from the immune system would be a major problem for the MoL, given the size balls we have

• Like 3

On 4/16/2020 at 6:27 PM, animaltested said:

Again our differing views and opinions probably just stem for differing … um .. "overall viewpoints". Haha. Anyway, to tie it back to COVID, IMO its hammering the USA because Americans are incredibly unhealthy. 

I would agree with this, and probably best to leave it at that, neither of us are right or wrong, just different views.  Americans really are unhealthy, I hope this is a wake up call for a lot of people.  Going to sound a little silly, but the two best things I did for myself and my health was 1) get a smart watch/fitness tracker.  Helped me realized how inactive I was, now I get pissed if I don't hit certain goals throughout the week/months, let's me compete with myself which is great and 2) getting a higher energy dog, unfortunately he can't go on long runs anymore but for sure has brought me outside / into new activities which as been great. 

• Like 3

On 4/17/2020 at 11:11 PM, mission27 said:

I dont buy it tbh

The reason testing has peaked is we are testing people at hospitals and hospitalizations have also peaked

Yes there are many many people who have or had this who arent captured but who cares

same in any country

Our testing rates arent that much lower than most

I heard the other day and now can't find a link to it, but in NJ the labs have upped their capacity to run tests, the hospitals are still obviously testing, but the large chunk of tests were coming from the daily testing centers.  The word was even though they have more capacity now, they are still limiting it to 500 tests a day. 

27 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Yeah perhaps

Some people are saying the virus can live in your testicles and hide from the immune system would be a major problem for the MoL, given the size balls we have

So much for gender equality... 

This is a joke...

• Like 1

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/04/20/coronavirus-antibody-testing-shows-la-county-outbreak-is-up-to-55-times-bigger-than-reported-cases.html

Another study indicating the virus is far more wide spread than expected. It's going to be interesting to compare these results with NYC's results.

The study hasn't been peer reviewed yet.

Edited by WizeGuy
  • Like 2

I am in Atlanta......  here. we. go:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/georgia-gov-brian-kemp-allows-gyms-salons-and-bowling-alleys-to-reopen-friday-as-coronavirus-cases-climb

Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp announced on Monday that gyms, hair salons, nail salons, barbershops, and bowling alleys are among the businesses that will be allowed to reopen in the state on Friday. 

Kemp said during an afternoon press conference that the statewide shelter-in-place order will expire on April 30, however he urged the “medically fragile” to continue to hunker down until May 13. 

Theaters, restaurants allowed Monday the 27th. Not sure how I feel about all this.

1 minute ago, big_palooka said:

Not sure how I feel about all this.

people in ivory towers with healthcare coverage you can only dream about...say its OK for you to go out ?
Ask the governor if he wants to go bowling with you and a hundred un-masked constituents and let us know how that goes

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

people in ivory towers with healthcare coverage you can only dream about...say its OK for you to go out ?
Ask the governor if he wants to go bowling with you and a hundred un-masked constituents and let us know how that goes

It’s also frustrating that some don’t seem to understand everyone is in this together. One area lifts restrictions to early and here we go again. Back to square one.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WizeGuy said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/04/20/coronavirus-antibody-testing-shows-la-county-outbreak-is-up-to-55-times-bigger-than-reported-cases.html

Another study indicating the virus is far more wide spread than expected. It's going to be interesting to compare these results with NYC's results.

The study hasn't been peer reviewed yet.

I have two friends in  Huntington Beach who’ve been terribly sick. They were tested for flu which came back negative but couldn’t get tested for the virus. Without widespread testing total cases is nothing but a guess.

Edited by diehardlionfan
Spelling