Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

You're right, I was wrong. You see your family in him, which means your "empathy" here is still really selfishness, and you can still shove the lecture of empathy right back with the rest of your rants.

em·pa·thy
/ˈempəTHē/

noun

1. the ability to understand and share the feelings of another.

EDIT: he obviously cares for and relates to his family, so the term does apply.

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

You're right, I was wrong. You see your family in him, which means your "empathy" here is still really selfishness, and you can still shove the lecture of empathy right back with the rest of your rants.

Please explain to me how it is selfish to be empathetic. 

1 minute ago, theJ said:

em·pa·thy
/ˈempəTHē/

noun

1. the ability to understand and share the feelings of another.

It's pretty well demonstrated in biology that animals will sacrifice themselves (e.g. to slow a predator down) if it would preserve more of their genetic material to die to save their relatives. In fact, animals subconsciously do the math correctly.

Protecting family isn't empathy.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

It's pretty well demonstrated in biology that animals will sacrifice themselves if it would preserve more of their genetic material to die to save their relatives. In fact, animals subconsciously do the math correctly.

Protecting family isn't empathy.

I think we're about to dive into a semantics rabbit hole.

The point is that the sentiment comes from caring for his family.  It's not a selfish thing.

Just now, theJ said:

I think we're about to dive into a semantics rabbit hole.

The point is that the sentiment comes from caring for his family.  It's not a selfish thing.

I'll give him altruistic. 

And, again to compare and contract, that "empathy" only shows up when his direct family is involved. Even in his post responding to me talking about unemployed people, look at his response:

I get upset about people who take advantage of unemployment benefits because it directly effects me

He's defending his proverbial uncle or aunt, and that's it. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

The best way to convince someone of something is not by saying YOU'RE WRONG, but by saying, YOU'RE RIGHT, BUT...

The problem is, they're not right, and telling them they are "but", is still reinforcing a false idea that they are receiving and relaying accurate or factual information, which they're not. The people who are still actively refusing to wear masks have no empathy for others, and at this point there is NO excuse that it's just ignorance. It's intentional.

• Like 3

Just now, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

The problem is, they're not right, and telling them they are "but", is still reinforcing a false idea that they are receiving and relaying accurate or factual information, which they're not. The people who are still actively refusing to wear masks have no empathy for others, and at this point there is NO excuse that it's just ignorance. It's intentional.

I'm a bottom line type of person and I have no issue with lying to get to that bottom line. 

If you reinforce a belief, but get the right action out of it, I think that's alright.

If telling someone wearing a mask makes their **** bigger would get them to wear a mask, I would tell them that. 

Just now, Outpost31 said:

I'm a bottom line type of person and I have no issue with lying to get to that bottom line. 

If you reinforce a belief, but get the right action out of it, I think that's alright.

If telling someone wearing a mask makes their **** bigger would get them to wear a mask, I would tell them that. 

Sure, I mean that makes sense but I don't believe that's going to change someone's mindset about anything moving forward, nor do I believe that would get that person to wear a mask in the first place. How does telling them they're right, which would reinforce their false belief that wearing a mask is bad (to put it VERY simply), ultimately lead them to wearing a mask? You'd basically just have to contradict yourself repeatedly lol

2 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

"Yeah, there is a global conspiracy to invent a disease** and every major world government, doctor, and health body are in on it all to prevent your candidate from winning an election, but [fill in the blank]."

Yeah good luck with that.

**Or, is the virus a weapon sent from China? This conspiracy theory is so lazy and half baked it's not even logically consistent the whole way through.

3 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

"Yeah, there is a global conspiracy to invent a disease** and every major world government, doctor, and health body are in on it all to prevent your candidate from winning an election, but [fill in the blank]."

Yeah good luck with that.

**Or, is the virus a weapon sent from China? This conspiracy theory is so lazy and half baked it's not even logically consistent the whole way through.

I believe the current working theory is that Bill Gates funded the research in the Wuhan Lab that ultimately created the virus, and he did it so that it would lead to everyone being microchipped via 5G or something like that. I don't even know, it's so dumb.

But with regards to the mask thing, the current working theory is that wearing a mask isn't about being healthy, but about being controlled by the government. And this theory makes sense because....reasons.

Edited by AFlaccoSeagulls
  • Like 1

Just now, Outpost31 said:

So I really don't get what you're trying to accomplish here.

You are essentially crapping on somebody who is trying to preach empathy and sympathy at the time of a world pandemic like that's somehow a bad thing. 

I'm rejecting the sincerity of your argument.

• Like 1