Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

46 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Georgia's governor just issued a statewide executive order banning...wait for it...local ordinances that ban masks. Not actual masks. Nope. We're banning people banning masks. This is so stupid he should get a term on the Wisconsin state Supreme Court.

That is really, really dumb.  If anything, he should be wanting other people to take the heat for him.  

17 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

That is really, really dumb.  If anything, he should be wanting other people to take the heat for him.  

Yeah but if you do that then you can’t tell your base how anti-science you were come re-election time.

Reelection > public health/safety

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

What’s hard to understand?  People who refuse to listen to science are being willfully ignorant and it puts other people at risk.  

again, it’s not just a decision for yourself, it’s a decision that can impact other people.

Imagine if 30% of the country didn’t think driving drunk had any impact on their ability to operate a vehicle and continued to do so (without repercussion) on public roads.  Would you not expect people to be upset then? Should we as a society just accept their personal decision?  That’s not how living in a society actually works.

It’s because there really is no middle ground, either you’re working to help slow the spread of the virus and protect others on your community or you’re pissing in the community pool.

What discussion do you want?  There’s no data or science that backs anything that anti mask people at all.  Should we be arguing facts with feelings and accepting both as equal and valid?

Our hospitals are filling up, our medical professionals are being stretched thin (and put at increased risk), a hundred and however many thousand people have died and we’ve still got a large percentage of the population who can’t be bother to put a piece of cloth over their face.  At what point is anger acceptable?

I agree with you.  But if all that righteous anger still can't get through to them, maybe another tactic is appropriate?  

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Like emotionless facts and science?  Those don’t work either.

No they don't.  The way you get through to people is by appealing to them in ways they can understand.  In this case, those ways aren't facts, or getting angry at them.

2 minutes ago, theJ said:

No they don't.  The way you get through to people is by appealing to them in ways they can understand.  In this case, those ways aren't facts, or getting angry at them.

So the participation trophy approach? Make everyone feel good about themselves? I thought that was how we wound up with all of these snowflake millennials that don't know how to pull themselves up by the bootstraps?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, theJ said:

If “wear this piece of cloth across your face or people will die” isn’t simple enough or clear enough to get through to them, they’re a lost cause tbh, either because they’re too stupid or being willfully ignorant.

There are no science believing, reasonably intelligent people who are on the fence.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

So the participation trophy approach? Make everyone feel good about themselves? I thought that was how we wound up with all of these snowflake millennials that don't know how to pull themselves up by the bootstraps?

“These kids today don’t respect their elders”- says the boomer who’s not wearing a mask to his elderly friend.

• Like 2

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

If “wear this piece of cloth across your face or people will die” isn’t simple enough or clear enough to get through to them, they’re a lost cause tbh, either because they’re too stupid or being willfully ignorant.

There are no science believing, reasonably intelligent people who are on the fence.

Honestly i see two lost causes here.  I see people on one side who refuse to wear a mask because of "political reasons".  I see people on the other side who refuse to talk to the "others" because they see them as being too hard headed and not listening to facts.

Both sides need to get over themselves and talk to each other like people.  It would solve a lot of problems.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

It's called talking to people like they're people.  

Ironically enough the older generations knew how to do that.  It's become lost in today's internet world.

1 minute ago, theJ said:

Honestly i see two lost causes here.  I see people on one side who refuse to wear a mask because of "political reasons".  I see people on the other side who refuse to talk to the "others" because they see them as being too hard headed and not listening to facts.

Both sides need to get over themselves and talk to each other like people.  It would solve a lot of problems.

Why? Why does the side that is 100% correct need to make any concessions? 

Just now, theJ said:

It's called talking to people like they're people.  

Ironically enough the older generations knew how to do that.  It's become lost in today's internet world.

HAHA! This is just not true.

First - this has been attempted - "we should wear masks because there is a chance that it will make fewer people sick and allow us to do more things" was not well received. I don't know of a more people-centric way to phrase that idea.

Second - They think they do, but they really don't. There is no more condescending group than older folks that actually ARE stuck in their ways and are less open to learning new things. Older generations aren't better communicators because of the internet or lack thereof. In fact, maybe older generations should compromise and meet in the middle, ya know, like you've been suggesting?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, JDBrocks said:

Why? Why does the side that is 100% correct need to make any concessions? 

HAHA! This is just not true.

First - this has been attempted - "we should wear masks because there is a chance that it will make fewer people sick and allow us to do more things" was not well received. I don't know of a more people-centric way to phrase that idea.

Second - They think they do, but they really don't. There is no more condescending group than older folks that actually ARE stuck in their ways and are less open to learning new things. Older generations aren't better communicators because of the internet or lack thereof. In fact, maybe older generations should compromise and meet in the middle, ya know, like you've been suggesting?

The really ironic thing is i just watched Groundhog Day yesterday.

This is the same conversation we had yesterday or the day before. 

You think you're right about wearing a mask (you are), and think "they" are wrong (they are).  I agree with that.  You think you should be able to yell at them until they concede.  I tell you that doesn't work.  You say you don't care, they should change anyway.  Whatever.

IDGAF man.  Realistically you or I can't make a difference anyway.  The one guy who can has about 6 months of influence left (maybe), and we might have a vaccine by then anyway.  So just get comfortable, find a good hobby that can keep you distracted, and maybe think about emerging from your hiding hole in February.  It's what i'm doing.  I've got some really cool woodworking projects i'm designing, so i'll be in my shop if you want to talk about that subject.

As for this subject, i'm done.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, theJ said:

Ok, I’ll bite.  How does that discussion go?