How many WR1's are in the NFL? And how important is it?

BayRaider

1 hour ago, scar988 said:

And while Thomas is good, if he was with anyone but Brees, everyone would see him as a Maxima. not a Porche.

His production with Teddy Bridgewater was Porsche quality.

Comparing him to Sanu - who couldn't do anything with Tom Brady as his QB - is criminal. 

• Like 1

Thankfully we got to dispel the myth that Michael Thomas wouldn't be putting up these huge numbers without Brees this past season. Michael Thomas played without Brees for 6 games this past season, in those 6 games, he had 640 receiving yards, 3 touchdowns, and 52 catches with Teddy Bridgewater throwing to him, which funny enough if we just took just those 6 games, it wouldn't be far off from the best 16 game seasons that a guy like Sanu has had in his entire career.

Edited by tyler735
  • Like 1

Just now, ET80 said:

His production with Teddy Bridgewater was Porsche quality.

Comparing him to Sanu - who couldn't do anything with Tom Brady as his QB - is criminal. 

Brady isn't that good anymore, though...

Sanu was solid in Atlanta. Though, I'm not saying 2019 Sanu was anything close to 2016-2017 Sanu. I don't think Michael Thomas is that great. Comparatively of course, Sanu is like a Sentra where Thomas is like a Maxima. Both are good for their usage. But neither one is the best WR in the NFL, nor anywhere close.

9 minutes ago, scar988 said:

Brady isn't that good anymore, though...

Sanu was solid in Atlanta. Though, I'm not saying 2019 Sanu was anything close to 2016-2017 Sanu. I don't think Michael Thomas is that great. Comparatively of course, Sanu is like a Sentra where Thomas is like a Maxima. Both are good for their usage. But neither one is the best WR in the NFL, nor anywhere close.

We will have to agree to disagree. Even with target share, you don't put up the numbers Thomas has (four consecutive 1,000 seasons, three consecutive 100+ catch seasons) if you're a rich mans' Mohammad Sanu (who has yet to record any of those milestones, let alone consecutively). Even a "rich man's" version would not do what MT is doing.

I respect the hell out of your opinion, but I'm going to call this as I see it - you're downplaying a division rival who has the numbers to challenge your own guy. 

You're on an island... and even the numbers don't back your claim.

• Like 2

So @scar988 doesn’t understand size, athleticism, and catch radius. Michael Thomas is built like the hulk, super athletic, with an insane catch radius both vertical and horizontal. You can’t shut Michael Thomas down. Not happening. He’s possibly the greatest 3rd down converter I’ve ever seen. 

I’ve see Julio Jones shut completely down too many times to count. If your gameplan is to neutralize Jones, you will neutralize Jones (though of course open up the rest of the offense). 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

So @scar988 doesn’t understand size, athleticism, and catch radius. Michael Thomas is built like the hulk, super athletic, with an insane catch radius both vertical and horizontal. You can’t shut Michael Thomas down. Not happening. He’s possibly the greatest 3rd down converter I’ve ever seen. 

I’ve see Julio Jones shut completely down too many times to count. If your gameplan is to neutralize Jones, you will neutralize Jones (though of course open up the rest of the offense). 

Except I do get that. And you can easily shut Michael Thomas down. Falcons did in both games for 3 quarters this past year. Wasn't til the 4th he did any damage in either game and that was after they relaxed the defense. He's not special. He's not the hulk. And he's not as athletic as guys like Julio or Hopkins are. He's not blowing the top off of a defense with his 4.5 speed. 

You need to watch more football because I've seen way better 3rd down converters through the years. Hell, Plaxico was a monster on third down. 

And yes, Julio can be shut down. Literally every receiver in the NFL can be shut down if you roll enough coverage his way. Teams aren't rolling doubles and triples Thomas' way on the same frequency as others. Also, Brees has to force him the ball because there aren't other guys in New Orleans worth a **** to throw to.

6 minutes ago, scar988 said:

Except I do get that. And you can easily shut Michael Thomas down. Falcons did in both games for 3 quarters this past year. Wasn't til the 4th he did any damage in either game and that was after they relaxed the defense. He's not special. He's not the hulk. And he's not as athletic as guys like Julio or Hopkins are. He's not blowing the top off of a defense with his 4.5 speed. 

You need to watch more football because I've seen way better 3rd down converters through the years. Hell, Plaxico was a monster on third down. 

And yes, Julio can be shut down. Literally every receiver in the NFL can be shut down if you roll enough coverage his way. Teams aren't rolling doubles and triples Thomas' way on the same frequency as others. Also, Brees has to force him the ball because there aren't other guys in New Orleans worth a **** to throw to.

You don’t need to blow a top off a defense to be the best WR in the NFL. MT is basically unstoppable for a full four quarters, regardless of QB. 

I don’t know man, I feel like you’re reaching. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

You don’t need to blow a top off a defense to be the best WR in the NFL. MT is basically unstoppable for a full four quarters, regardless of QB. 

I don’t know man, I feel like you’re reaching. 

You have to be able to do everything to be the best WR in the NFL. Run every route. Be physical over the middle. Create separation and go deep. Julio Jones has literally done all of that for the last 6 years consistently. How anyone else is even considered, especially a bulk possession receiver like Thomas, as better than him just is laughable to me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

The only game you can argue last year out of 16 is @Atlanta but New Orleans dominated that game start to finish and didn’t need to utilize him.

So did you watch Thomas’s 16 games, or did you just watch both Atlanta games? 

I watched Atlanta's entire season and I have gone back multiple times to watch Thomas' games and I'm just not impressed. And Atlanta dominated him through three quarters in their first game. When they were up 26-3 heading into the 4th quarter, the Falcons decided to drop back into more of a cover 3/cover 4 shell and played him with a 10-yard cushion. But let's ignore what I actually say like you continually do.

Edited by scar988

3 minutes ago, scar988 said:

You have to be able to do everything to be the best WR in the NFL. Run every route. Be physical over the middle. Create separation and go deep. Julio Jones has literally done all of that for the last 6 years consistently. How anyone else is even considered, especially a bulk possession receiver like Thomas, as better than him just is laughable to me.

No, you don’t. This is purely your opinion. 

Thomas can’t be shut down and is a 3rd down converter monster. The best security blanket I’ve ever seen. 

• Like 1

"Teams aren't rolling doubles and triples Thomas' way on the same frequency as others. Also, Brees has to force him the ball because there aren't other guys in New Orleans worth a **** to throw to."

So these two sentences contradict each other pretty badly. So in other words, if there is nobody else to throw to on the Saints, that would undoubtedly mean teams would simply roll extra coverage over frequently to stop Thomas. Given that the Falcons have a solid number 2 WR, and the Texans had a solid number 2 WR, Thomas would surely get double teamed at least as much as those 2 WR's, otherwise it would suggest every Defensive Coordinator the Saints faced is completely inept if it is in fact true that "Brees has to force Thomas the ball" due to nobody else being good enough to throw to.