2020 Draft - Your Guy

coordinator0

48 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Don't know if this maybe just warrants its own thread, but I'm curious what other people's opposite lists look like - the guys who might be on our radar to that you're praying we stay away from. Couple that come to mind for me:

Kenneth Murray - feel like most ppl here are on the same page in regards to him. Prefer Brooks or Harrison in Rounds 2 or 3, though Murray in the 2nd would also be fine. But he's a rotational piece with a high ceiling starting out, not the CJ Mosley replacement he's being touted as, so 28 is way too steep a price.

Curtis Weaver - seems like Jaylon Ferguson 2.0 to me. Ideally we'll hit the sweet spot one of these times with our EDGE picks between 'productive college stiffs' and 'athletic projects' but still err towards the latter if given the choice.

Chase Claypool - he is Miles Boykin. Boykin might pan out, but I don't want to bet our receiving corps on 2 Miles Boykins.

Donovan People-Jones - he's the cutoff to me where you go from getting awesome value on 2nd/3rd rounders at receiver to just getting normie mid-round prospects. 

Cole Kmet - yeah let's not trade Hayden Hurst just to use the pick to replace him with a worse Hayden Hurst.

Grant Delpit - another where it's round-dependent. Would be good value in the 2nd but not good enough a 'BPA' to justify ignoring our other needs at 28. 

This is why I really like Terrell Lewis. Guy has a frame and athleticism that make it seem like he was built in a lab to be an NFL edge rusher. Haven't mentioned him as much lately as his projected slot/best value really falls almost directly between #28 and #55.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, berlin calling said:

Can't help but think Baun is Correa redux. Both tested nearly identical. I don't want him on this team.

Correa wasn’t a bad prospect though coming out. He didn’t pan out but we also did him zero favours making him play inside backer when he projected as a speed/finesse pass rusher. I wouldn’t hate Baun albeit not with our first two picks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, berlin calling said:

Can't help but think Baun is Correa redux. Both tested nearly identical. I don't want him on this team.

Correa didn't fail with the Ravens because of his athletic profile. He just didn't win on the edge, and then the team tried to make him an ILB. The extent of his "coverage abilities" at Boise State were limited to dropping back into a soft zone. At least Baun has real, positive experience/tape in that area. 

Anyways, I haven't looked too far into most draft prospects this year. I'll wait until after the draft and do some deep dives on the guys the Ravens actually take. But if I had to go with one guy for the purposes of this thread, it's going to be Cesar Ruiz. This guy is about as safe of a plug-and-play interior lineman as it gets. He's not overwhelmingly dominant, which is why he isn't going in the top half of the first, but the dude is just good. I would have no reservations with that pick at 28. And that kind of hurts as a Michigan State fan. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, berlin calling said:

Yeah, if you’ve never looked at the tape for either player before, sure that could be a fair comparison. 

But even with the athletic testing/measurables, a huge difference between the two players is that Correa had almost historically bad arm length for a pass rusher, which makes sense as to why he can’t get off blocks. And that’s before going to the tape of both players.

Look at Correa playing against scrub OTs and look at two things:

1. How often that they get into his frame on a play to play basis.

2. Look at how difficult it is for him to disengage when they get into his frame.

3 Also not related to pass rushing but look at how stiff and uncomfortable he looks when forced to drop into coverage. He has some weird foot patter going on there.

This is Baun playing against a very well coached offensive line of MSU. Now look at:

1. When he comes on 3rd down look at how their OTs aren’t getting into his frame, the best they can do is force him into their frame and try and swallow him.

2. When they attempt that look at how he has a long arm technique and a spin to keep them honest.

3. Also unrelated to pass rush but notice that he’s got elite zone coverage instincts. Look at how oily his hips are in coverage. He’s more fluid dropping back in zone than all of the top ILBs in this class. Look at how he drops back and forces the pick with excellent zone instincts.

Now go back to Correa’s tape and look at his pass coverage again... there’s literally no comparison.

This is Baun vs inferior OL talent and current Raven backup QB Trace McSorely. Look at how Baun is routinely defeating the hands of the OL so that they can’t get into his frame.

Now go back and watch the tape of Correa and how he’s not proficient in hand fighting and how often he’s absorbed by those scrub OL.

Now after ALL of that, you still see similarities between the two players on the field... I can’t help.

But yes, from an athletic profile standpoint, sure they definitely have some similarities. But Baun also possesses similarities in measurements and athletic testing to Clay Matthews, so perhaps that’s who he will turn out looking like at the next level as well.

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

Yeah, fair. Who knows who'll end up being right. Watch us both be wrong somehow haha.

When I watch Swift I see Dalvin Cook.

When I watch Taylor I see a slightly better Doug Martin/James Conner hybrid.

Dalvin Cook is just a new school Clinton Portis. I like the Portis comparison more however because I don’t feel like Swift is quite as sudden as Cook, but he easily has superior breakaway speed over Cook and he’s got better trunks.

But either way, like I said, I see a 1500-1800 YFS option and that’s what Dalvin Cook has shown to be at the NFL level.

But yeah both Portis and Cook were top notch ZBS backs that had the vision and foot quickness to excel in that type of offense.

• Like 1

I LOVE Jeremy Chinn!!!!!  I feel like he is the perfect swiss army knife for this defensive scheme. He has size, can cover and is a force closer to the line of scrimmage.. My only concern is that he won't last until 55 so if the Ravens want him they would need to take him at 28 or have to move up in the second round! 

• Like 1

I'm a big fan of Jauan Jennings from Tennessee. I know he'll never be more than a slot guy but I just live his toughness and YAC ability. Really fun to watch and would add another  dimension to our O.

I would love for him to be the 2nd WR we take in the draft, say at the back of round 4 after taking a WR with speed earlier on.

10 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

But yes, from an athletic profile standpoint, sure they definitely have some similarities. But Baun also possesses similarities in measurements and athletic testing to Clay Matthews, so perhaps that’s who he will turn out looking like at the next level as well.

That comparison came to mind immediately after Correa was mentioned. 

I think it's more that Correa was drafted where he was because of his athletic ability, but he didn't fail because of it. Subtle but important distinction there. A guy with an athletic profile similar to Correa isn't a bad thing on its own. That's like saying a QB prospect has an all-time strong arm, but so did Jamarcus Russell, so that scares me. The arm was the carrying feature for Russell, but that doesn't mean it's not a positive if/when you see it in another guy.

Edited by sp6488
  • Like 1

I'll just come out and say it. It gets me crucified anytime I defend the pick in mocks on twitter

I want Jonathan Taylor in Round 1.

The guy is such a phenomenal talent and really fits this offense perfectly. You pair him with Lamar and the rest of our stable of RB's and it really sets the standard for what EDC has been saying this week. "An Undefendable Offense". With his sneaky tendency to get outside and get behind defenders, mixed with his high football IQ, finding lanes and making decisive cuts. He's my guy, no doubt about it. 

There is more pressing needs, sure. You take the chance at a potential elite RB talent when you get it. I understand we're in an era when the value of the RB position is at its lowest but when he's closing out games and pounding the rock in December, we'd all be grateful. 

Honorable mention to Bradlee Anae. I'd love to pluck that guy out in the Round 3 and really develop him. He's raw in a lot of areas but the guy doesn't quit and is relentless. 

16 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Yeah, if you’ve never looked at the tape for either player before, sure that could be a fair comparison. 

But even with the athletic testing/measurables, a huge difference between the two players is that Correa had almost historically bad arm length for a pass rusher, which makes sense as to why he can’t get off blocks. And that’s before going to the tape of both players.

Look at Correa playing against scrub OTs and look at two things:

1. How often that they get into his frame on a play to play basis.

2. Look at how difficult it is for him to disengage when they get into his frame.

3 Also not related to pass rushing but look at how stiff and uncomfortable he looks when forced to drop into coverage. He has some weird foot patter going on there.

This is Baun playing against a very well coached offensive line of MSU. Now look at:

1. When he comes on 3rd down look at how their OTs aren’t getting into his frame, the best they can do is force him into their frame and try and swallow him.

2. When they attempt that look at how he has a long arm technique and a spin to keep them honest.

3. Also unrelated to pass rush but notice that he’s got elite zone coverage instincts. Look at how oily his hips are in coverage. He’s more fluid dropping back in zone than all of the top ILBs in this class. Look at how he drops back and forces the pick with excellent zone instincts.

Now go back to Correa’s tape and look at his pass coverage again... there’s literally no comparison.

This is Baun vs inferior OL talent and current Raven backup QB Trace McSorely. Look at how Baun is routinely defeating the hands of the OL so that they can’t get into his frame.

Now go back and watch the tape of Correa and how he’s not proficient in hand fighting and how often he’s absorbed by those scrub OL.

Now after ALL of that, you still see similarities between the two players on the field... I can’t help.

Clearly Baun plays smoother and is much better at the point of attack, I just don’t see anything we don’t already have. I don’t see him winning much 1 on 1. Seems like a solid blitzer but he doesn’t use his hands well as a pass rusher. He seems to either rip inside or try to dip under around the edge, but he doesn’t flatten down when he dips and seems to get pushed wide of the quarterback. I feel like we need somebody that can win 1 on 1 consistently and I don’t see that. I would look elsewhere

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, baltimoreRebel said:

I'll just come out and say it. It gets me crucified anytime I defend the pick in mocks on twitter

The guy is such a phenomenal talent and really fits this offense perfectly. You pair him with Lamar and the rest of our stable of RB's and it really sets the standard for what EDC has been saying this week. "An Undefendable Offense". With his sneaky tendency to get outside and get behind defenders, mixed with his high football IQ, finding lanes and making decisive cuts. He's my guy, no doubt about it. 

There is more pressing needs, sure. You take the chance at a potential elite RB talent when you get it. I understand we're in an era when the value of the RB position is at its lowest but when he's closing out games and pounding the rock in December, we'd all be grateful. 

Honorable mention to Bradlee Anae. I'd love to pluck that guy out in the Round 3 and really develop him. He's raw in a lot of areas but the guy doesn't quit and is relentless. 

So then who goes from the backfield? I don’t see Gus or Ingram being happy in a 3 back rotation.

Edited by Boodgyman5220

8 minutes ago, Boodgyman5220 said:

So then who goes from the backfield? I don’t see Gus or Ingram being happy in a 3 back rotation.

Those guys are team players. They'd deal with it. 

Ingram would still be our starter. He's not getting any younger either. The RB dip comes quick. Don't get me wrong, hope it's not soon for Ingram. If Gus doesn't leave next year and Ravens decide to cut Ingram, we have a young stable with Taylor, Gus, Hill. 

If Gus leaves, we can keep Ingram and still have Ingram, Taylor, Hill. 

On 4/15/2020 at 1:55 PM, Ray Reed said:

I really really like Yetur Gross Matos. Would be ecstatic if we got him.

Never covered this portion. I certainly wouldn’t be mad. I like him as well. Just wish he had a better motor, but perhaps that’s how Penn State wanted him to play things, patiently before attacking upfield. What’s more Ngata was criticized for his motor before coming to Baltimore as well, but YGM does for sure have a great mix of measurables and athleticism that doesn’t grown on trees. Tbqh I think I would rather bet on his potential than Chaisson, only because he’s produced more and this isn’t all hypothetical... YGM just needs small tweaks and he could be one of the best in the league if he wants to be.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, baltimoreRebel said:

For me, the value is just not there at RB. Even if we play with the assumption, that we get an elite player, an oline would provide more value. If we play around with the idea that we get a player worthy of a second contract, the history for throwing money after the RB position is really really bad, so at best we would have to let a runningback play on his 5th year option and then franchise him and then let him go.

If we get another player with elite ability, their performance would likely not decline to the degree of a runningback, especially if we look at the mileage on Williams already.

8 hours ago, baltimoreRebel said:

This would be interesting. While Gus and Ingram are solid at grinding out yards between the tackles, Taylor would bring some explosiveness to those inside runs. He would give the running game a new dimension.