2020 Draft Thread

holt_bruce81

On 4/15/2020 at 3:05 PM, jrry32 said:

But I always prefer value (within reason) over need

I think this is mostly what we will be after in this draft. Very open to some trade downs to get more mid round draft capital, where a lot of younger talent is likely to slip to due to this strange offseason. 

It seems like the staff feels good about most of our starting roster if we had to go into the season as we are right now. Yes we have a handful (or two) of spots that can be upgraded on, but they don’t see them as complete zeros at this point.

• I think they actually like our OL guys, and the way they fit, but need them to gel. We wouldn’t pass up on a good upgrade if one falls into our lap.  
  • Seems likely that McVay can make this offense go if we end up with only Brown + Henderson (not to mention some solid FA options) and we won’t grab just any Back, has to be one that can do the little things like pass block
  • It’s Reynolds time to shine, and word is they think he can. Would we make the move for one of the studs (Higgins/Mims)? Don’t know,  but I bet we come out of this draft with a couple of wideouts
  • And while we definitely need to add some LBs, with how versatile Floyd and a few others are, we aren’t locked into reaching for a guy or making a panic move
Edited by StLunatic88
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

So I don't quite understand the love for Tyler Biadasz on this forum. Am I missing something with him? Only watched 2 of his games but he seems no more than a late 4th - early 5th round range. Doesn't seem like the strength is there and when I watched him he seemed to be off balance way to many times. 

Also, side question on another Center...is Sean Polland the next Barrett Jones? 

I'm a big fan of Biadasz. He rarely loses reps.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

I think they actually like our OL guys, and the way they fit, but need them to gel.

Ding ding ding!  This is so very rarely appreciated by media and fans, unless said person commenting has actually played OL.  There is so much of it that's about chemistry.

Also, with regard to where Floyd plays, until shown otherwise I have to believe that he was sold being able to play EDGE when he chose to sign with them.  Again, Donald's very presence makes any EDGE player's job easier and EDGE, traditionally, get paid out at a consistently higher pay-grade than ILB's do.  Taking nothing for granted, Floyd may very well have been looking at us as the best available opportunity to get himself back on the horse and back to making the kind of contract he was scheduled to have this season with Chicago.

• Like 1

I'm not exactly sure where to put this, so I'll put it here. Football IQ seems to be something that is very important to McVay and Snead. While the Wonderlic score doesn't come close to perfectly measuring football IQ, I do think it is relevant. Of the WRs we've discussed, here are the scores I've seen listed

Good

Chase Claypool - 27

Michael Pittman - 29

Bryan Edwards - 28

Brandon Aiyuk - 23

Not Good

K.J. Hamler - 15

Van Jefferson - 12

Laviska Shenault - 14

Denzel Mims - 17

Jalen Reagor - 13

Tee Higgins - 11 :(

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I'm not exactly sure where to put this, so I'll put it here. Football IQ seems to be something that is very important to McVay and Snead. While the Wonderlic score doesn't come close to perfectly measuring football IQ, I do think it is relevant. Of the WRs we've discussed, here are the scores I've seen listed

Good

Chase Claypool - 27

Michael Pittman - 29

Bryan Edwards - 28

Brandon Aiyuk - 23

Not Good

K.J. Hamler - 15

Van Jefferson - 12

Laviska Shenault - 14

Denzel Mims - 17

Jalen Reagor - 13

I'd chalk some of this up to accountability that some of these players' respective programs have held them to their academics.  I know it's something that Herm really honed in on when he took up the post at ASU.  And, despite the fact that I've seen some of their fans moan about it, one of the good things Helton has done at USC is increase the standard that his players are held to academically.  Notre Dame goes without saying.  The opposite can tend to cultivate an attitude where the player feels like all they have to do is physically prep in order to succeed rather than mentally prepare and study as well.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The LBC said:

I'd chalk some of this up to accountability that some of these players' respective programs have held them to their academics.  I know it's something that Herm really honed in on when he took up the post at ASU.  And, despite the fact that I've seen some of their fans moan about it, one of the good things Helton has done at USC is increase the standard that his players are held to academically.  Notre Dame goes without saying.  The opposite can tend to cultivate an attitude where the player feels like all they have to do is physically prep in order to succeed rather than mentally prepare and study as well.

Yep. We shall see. I've never put a ton of stock in Wonderlic scores, but it is something the Rams seem to value. Then again, it might just be coincidental that guys who impress us in interviews tend to score well. But my recollection is that Kupp and Everett both scored very highly. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Yep. We shall see. I've never put a ton of stock in Wonderlic scores, but it is something the Rams seem to value. Then again, it might just be coincidental that guys who impress us in interviews tend to score well. But my recollection is that Kupp and Everett both scored very highly. 

Taylor Rapp too.  He scored a 27.

That said, Henderson scored a 12 and we still traded up for him.  So there's hope.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

This surprises me as the son of a coach

But I am more and more intrigued by Chase Claypool the closer we get to draft day. And if the Wonderlic does matter, he’s up on that list

Yeah, I don't think it perfectly correlates to football IQ. One has to wonder if he took it seriously. Claypool is starting to intrigue me too. I just don't know where he fits. I think I like him more as an F than an X. But with Super Cooper in the slot, I worry that might cause one to not be used to his full potential.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Claypool is starting to intrigue me too. I just don't know where he fits. I think I like him more as an F than an X. But with Super Cooper in the slot, I worry that might cause one to not be used to his full potential.

Yea, complicates things a bit. But remember when everyone was projecting him to switch to TE? Maybe you could use him more almost as a Wide/Move TE?

Not totally sure how you could work it, but I’d trust McVay to figure it out

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StLunatic88 said:

Yea, complicates things a bit. But remember when everyone was projecting him to switch to TE? Maybe you could use him more almost as a Wide/Move TE?

Not totally sure how you could work it, but I’d trust McVay to figure it out

Well, that's what an F is. It's a detached TE. I agree he fits best there. Would have to get creative with him and Kupp. Then again, with the bunch sets and tight splits, it probably wouldn't be that hard to make it work.

17 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Good

Chase Claypool - 27

Michael Pittman - 29

Bryan Edwards - 28

Brandon Aiyuk - 23

Not Good

K.J. Hamler - 15

Van Jefferson - 12

Laviska Shenault - 14

Denzel Mims - 17

Jalen Reagor - 13

Sure wish this was Les Snead's philosophy back in 2013 when he traded up for Tavon Austin, who scored a 7 on his Wonderlic, and passed on some guy named DeAndre Hopkins. But I think this is all just coincidence to be honest. 

• Like 2

Trying to come up with the perfect mock draft, I can't get past the first few rounds. I really want Tee Higgins and I think there's a good chance he falls in our laps on draft day. And if that's the case, it should take all but 30 seconds to make that selection. I mean I love Josh Reynolds and think he can be a very good #3 on this team, but he's not on the same level as Tee Higgins. 

I also really like guys like Zack Moss, JK Dobbins, Robert Hunt, Terrell Burgess, Kenny Robinson, Nick Harris, Akeem Davis-Gaither...Wouldn't mind any of those guys. 

• Like 2