2020 Broncos Forum NFL Draft Thread

BullsandBroncos

16 minutes ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

Would love Johnson in the 2nd, but for some reason I have a strong hunch we see a run on the remaining CB’s and OT’s.  My gut tells me we end up with Cushenberry in the 2nd, then Bryce Hall and one of the deeper developmental OT’s in the 3rd (Prince?).

Would have loved Queen.  Our defense needs an Alpha at ILB as the last missing piece (once we address CB lol)

I wouldn't mind Cushenberry. Plug him in Day 1, kick Glasgow to guard, and the interior is set.

I would like to see Logan Wilson drafted here today. I think he'd be a great addition. 

EDIT: Or Willie Gay. I have no clue where he might go, but early 2nd wouldn't shock me if someone thinks they can take on his personality.

Edited by broncos67
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

Would have loved Queen.  Our defense needs an Alpha at ILB as the last missing piece (once we address CB lol)

I think the fact that we weren't able to jump up and grab Queen may be a blessing in disguise. Next year's Alpha ILBs Micah Parsons + Dylan Moses are significantly better prospects IMO. Based on where I expect us to draft next year - we may be in a perfect spot to grab one of those dudes as the final key piece on a super bowl roster.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

I wouldn't mind Cushenberry. Plug him in Day 1, kick Glasgow to guard, and the interior is set.

I would like to see Logan Wilson drafted here today. I think he'd be a great addition. 

EDIT: Or Willie Gay. I have no clue where he might go, but early 2nd wouldn't shock me if someone thinks they can take on his personality.

If you add 10 lbs to Chinn he is the same size as Isaiah Simmons.  It would be cool if he hit like his relative, Atwater.  

6 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

My overly optimistic day 2:

2.26 - AJ Epenesa DL - Iowa

3.77 - Bryce Hall CB - Virginia

3.83 - Laviska Shenault WR - Colorado

3.95 - Matt Hennessey OC - Temple

Then target OT and S in R 4/5. 

That would be a boner'rific draft. 

Hard pass on Epenesa. Doesn't fill a need an unathletic pass rushers nearly always bust.

Hard pass on Epenesa. Doesn't fill a need an unathletic pass rushers nearly always bust.

He really isn't unathletic, he just isn't twitchy. 

Epenesa - 6'5, 275lbs, 10 1/8 hands, 34 1/4 arms, 5.04 40, 17 reps, 32.5" vert, 117 broad, 7.34 3 cone, 4.46 shuttle

Wolfe - 6'5, 295lbs, 10 3/4 hands, 33 1/4 arms, 5.01 40, 33 reps, 33.5" vert, 108 broad, 7.26 3 cone, 4.44 shuttle

Armstead - 6'7, 292lbs, 10 1/2 hands, 33 arms, 5.10 40, 24 reps, 34" vert, 117 broad, 7.57 3 cone, 4.53 shuttle

Granted, he is lighter than the two comparisons but his athletic traits are right there. He should easily get up to 285lbs. Numerous scouts have compared him to Wolfe, citing his motor, powerful hands and hand usage and super long arms. He can easily become a 3 down base DE IMO. 

And he definitely fills a need. Harris isn't here past this year, clearly a stopgap. Purcell should at most be a 50/50 DE/NT rotator. Walker is a bit player. He could shore up DE for years with Jones and both could become well rounded 3 down 34DE. 

8 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

As opposed to such busts as Aaron Maybin, Quentin Groves, Barkevious Mingo?

Epenesa is a far more complete overall DE than just a pass rusher, much more like Wolfe who seemed to work out ok for not being a + athlete.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

He really isn't unathletic, he just isn't twitchy. 

Epenesa - 6'5, 275lbs, 10 1/8 hands, 34 1/4 arms, 5.04 40, 17 reps, 32.5" vert, 117 broad, 7.34 3 cone, 4.46 shuttle

Wolfe - 6'5, 295lbs, 10 3/4 hands, 33 1/4 arms, 5.01 40, 33 reps, 33.5" vert, 108 broad, 7.26 3 cone, 4.44 shuttle

Armstead - 6'7, 292lbs, 10 1/2 hands, 33 arms, 5.10 40, 24 reps, 34" vert, 117 broad, 7.57 3 cone, 4.53 shuttle

Granted, he is lighter than the two comparisons but his athletic traits are right there. He should easily get up to 285lbs. Numerous scouts have compared him to Wolfe, citing his motor, powerful hands and hand usage and super long arms. He can easily become a 3 down base DE IMO. 

And he definitely fills a need. Harris isn't here past this year, clearly a stopgap. Purcell should at most be a 50/50 DE/NT rotator. Walker is a bit player. He could shore up DE for years with Jones and both could become well rounded 3 down 34DE. 

Epenesa isn't going to WOW you but hes just a darn good football player.  He always seems to make plays when you need it and stuffs the box score.  I watched him wreck Nebraska last year when Iowa played them.  He's a solid player and if we took him I wouldn't hate the pick although Im kinda hoping Fulton is still available at 46 and I really like Duggar also. 

Edited by IronJ
  • Like 1

Curious what people's thoughts are on Marlon Davidsons ability to fit into our defensive scheme?  He's a good athlete, great motor but seems more like a 43 DE to me.  He seems like a difference maker tho and we could use that on the defensive line. 

It may just be me, but I think Bryce Hall and Dantlzer are just as talented as Fulton. I would sit at 2.46 and take BPA and then move up from 3.77 to snag one of Hall / Dantzler. I think some real talent will drop to 2.46 as a RB and to lesser extent OT / WR run happens. 

Fulton has some good traits, but in this zone scheme I think the instincts of Hall / Dantzler make them better fits. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, IronJ said:

Curious what people's thoughts are on Marlon Davidsons ability to fit into our defensive scheme?  He's a good athlete, great motor but seems more like a 43 DE to me.  He seems like a difference maker tho and we could use that on the defensive line. 

Davidson would be a great fit at 5-tech for us IMO. I actually comped him to Derek Wolfe and have a late round 1 grade on him. 

1 hour ago, paul-mac said:

I'm loving this strategy of beating the Chiefs at their own game. We can't stop them scoring 30, but we can go ahead and score 35 on them instead.

I think you stop them too...I think the Casey trade proves that.  When the Broncos had Pot Roast and Williams at the nose, and then you had D. Ware and Von off the edge, they killed mobile QBs.  I harken to Cam Newton who could do nothing to the Broncos in the three times he met them.  I think you got to do the same with Mahomes.  I would say go score 35 a game and hold Mahomes in check to hope that you hold him to under 30 points, and you got a fighting chance.  I am hoping Casey provides the interior push to give Chubb and Von freedom to chase Mahomes...but then again you need some lockdown CBs...Chris Harris, Talib, and TJ formed a pretty good DB group.