NFL Draft Thread: Day 3

Just now, Umbaugh21 said:

But why???? Thaddeus Moss could at least force some competition. I’m convinced that we plan on trading for a tight end. I mean Sprinkle,  Richard Rodgers and Logan Thomas

I agree, we were close on Howard at one time.  The Bears have 11 tight ends currently, the Seahawks have five and other teams have stacked depth charts.  This was a horrific draft class, and I think they decided that early by not having anyone visit from that position.  

Besides overpaying for Hooper, the best way to get a starting TE this off-season is to wait until after the draft and work the cuts or make a trade with someone.   The FA market was just as dreadful as the draft pool

So far for trading Dunbar and Trent we’ve ended up with a third string center and an undersized LB who’s too slow to play safety in the NFL. With the exception of Young and Fuller, I have a hard time remembering a more underwhelming off-season? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I agree, we were close on Howard at one time.  The Bears have 11 tight ends currently, the Seahawks have five and other teams have stacked depth charts.  This was a horrific draft class, and I think they decided that early by not having anyone visit from that position.  

Besides overpaying for Hooper, the best way to get a starting TE this off-season is to wait until after the draft and work the cuts or make a trade with someone.   The FA market was just as dreadful as the draft pool

This makes me believe that what you are saying has a lot of weight. No way Chicago can deal with 11 TEs at this point.

22 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

You really think Hunter Bryant or Thad Moss wouldn’t immediately become our most talented TE? Really? 

No, if that was the case they would've been drafted in the first 3 or 4 rounds. We can sign a guy as an UDFA.

Again, I point to Caleb Wilson. Look.at the production he had back when Rosen was his QB at UCLA in 2017. The guy has talent.

I'd welcome either of them - especially as UDFAs - I'm not sold that they are upgrades over what we have in house. 

Why am I supposed to believe that a late round draft pick is going to come in and be better then 3 TEs who've played in many games and even started some games in he NFL?

Heck, even Hentges flashed some last year. I think we all liked what we saw out of him.

There are also still guys we may be able to trade for like OJ Howard or Njoku. Maybe they're working on that as we speak.

Edited by turtle28

4 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

This makes me believe that what you are saying has a lot of weight. No way Chicago can deal with 11 TEs at this point.

Yeah, I absolutely agree that we need to improve the position.  But aside from making an insane commitment to Hooper (who I don't think matches the price tag) or overdrafting someone because the draft class is poor, there aren't many ways to improve it.  The best option was always waiting for depth charts to shake up, maybe make a trade post-draft or wait even further.  

• Like 1

Outside of young, AGG, and Charles I just don’t see this as that great of a draft. But I guess it’s to be determined.

im iffy on the boy from memphis. They indicate he will probably be playing running back.

we already have AP, Guice, Love, Barber, Mckissic, and now the rookie. Just didn’t understand the pick 

• Like 1