Pick #12 is in: WR Henry Ruggs, Alabama

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, massraider said:

Shanahan said that Aiyuk was their #1 WR. 

Wonder if 9er fans are upset today.

Imagine the national reaction to Gruden saying Aiyuk was our #1. People would FLIP. But if a HC like Shanny says it, it's gotta be the right thing and they'll praise him.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Geezy said:

Going to have to defend every part of the field vs the Raiders. Ruggs will opening up so much for this offense. Run game will help set up the deep ball as well. 

Ruggs might not be the best WR in the draft. But I think he was the best fit for what we need on offense. Big speed and great hands, and his yac ability is another big plus.

Nothing personal but this is a huge pet peeve of mine:  some people here think Ruggs is the WR version of Omar from “The Wire” who just strolls thru the hood and The DopeSpot boys just drop their stash out the window because they fear him and to avoid getting killed.  Ruggs isn’t gonna show up day 1 and opponents are rolling coverages his way and saying we’ll make Jacobs, Waller, and Williams  beat us but heck no to Ruggs.  He’s gonna have to earn that respect over time, thus the “opening up of the defense” is going to be a likely 1-2 year gradual process.  He ran a 4.27 thats def fast.  But there’s been a ton of 4.35 guys who went their whole career without teams rolling coverages their way like its alleged Ruggs will get.  Heck even 4.22 Ross has had a few big games but he’s not getting constant doubles like that.  He gets some, but not a crazy amount.... both Ruggs and Ross have to consistently beat teams deep or with their speed before their gonna respect it enough to slide doubles and such his way.  And I order for that level of success it’s gonna take a lot more than just his speed.  He’s going to have to have significant improvement to route running,  release at line, and the finer detailed points of being a Good WR.

• Like 1

Just now, NYRaider said:

Hard to be upset when you're coming off of Super Bowl appearance and just added two young studs in the first. 

If the Raiders had done the same exact picks, there would be screaming on here.  

If my statement and your statement are true, I'm just asking for people to keep an open mind. 

Just now, massraider said:

If the Raiders had done the same exact picks, there would be screaming on here.  

If my statement and your statement are true, I'm just asking for people to keep an open mind. 

I'd be more happy if we came away with Kinlaw/Ayiuk than I am with our haul if I'm being completely honest. I also would've been happier with Terrell/Reagor. 

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I'd be more happy if we came away with Kinlaw/Ayiuk than I am with our haul if I'm being completely honest. I also would've been happier with Terrell/Reagor. 

Maybe I would too. Not the point.

Kinlaw:  DUDE, HE HAS HEALTH QUESTION!?!?!?!?!?!?!?  WHO GONNA PLAY CB?????

Aiyuk:  BRO!!! ALL HE DID WAAAAS BUBbbLLEEEE SCREEEnNSS

If we are all expecting the team to zig, and they zag, lot of people aren't interested in learning why they did.

That always seemed weird to me. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, massraider said:

Maybe I would too. Not the point.

Kinlaw:  DUDE, HE HAS HEALTH QUESTION!?!?!?!?!?!?!?  WHO GONNA PLAY CB?????

Aiyuk:  BRO!!! ALL HE DID WAAAAS BUBbbLLEEEE SCREEEnNSS

If we are all expecting the team to zig, and they zag, lot of people aren't interested in learning why they did.

That always seemed weird to me. 

People here would've been upset either way. Interested to see how both of our picks pan out. 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

In theory I like our primary 4 targets. Waller will be the volume guy with 100+ catches and then you can spread the ball out pretty evenly among our top 3 WR. Renfrow is another possession guy over the middle of the field, Williams is one of the best deep threats in the league, and I'm sure we'll scheme up a lot of ways to get the ball into Ruggs hands in space. 

I’m not trying to knock Ruggs by saying he’s a little bit raw at the finer points of being a WR.  He’s got the potential to be a complete WR.  
but in the meantime (next 2 years) we really need Gruden to scheme up plays to get him the ball.  We can’t just stick him out there and say “play within the offense”.  He’s going to need a heavy mix of screens, jet sweeps, slants to get the ball into his hands easily.  
i actually think we’ll see Williams and Waller used to open up coverages for Ruggs early on.  He’s gotta beat people to command the extra coverages.  
I don’t think you can put him out there and in place of Zay Jones and expect great results.  We gotta Get his feet wet with some easy, manufactured catches and runs before we see him have success just running deep.  If I only think your gonna go deep I don’t have to respect the slant or hitch and I’m giving you a Nice sized cushion and bailing out early.

but If you get  few short screens going to the house then CBs have to respect that and it will have a Ruggs blowing by them.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Nothing personal but this is a huge pet peeve of mine:  some people here think Ruggs is the WR version of Omar from “The Wire” who just strolls thru the hood and The DopeSpot boys just drop their stash out the window because they fear him and to avoid getting killed.  Ruggs isn’t gonna show up day 1 and opponents are rolling coverages his way and saying we’ll make Jacobs, Waller, and Williams  beat us but heck no to Ruggs.  He’s gonna have to earn that respect over time, thus the “opening up of the defense” is going to be a likely 1-2 year gradual process.  He ran a 4.27 thats def fast.  But there’s been a ton of 4.35 guys who went their whole career without teams rolling coverages their way like its alleged Ruggs will get.  Heck even 4.22 Ross has had a few big games but he’s not getting constant doubles like that.  He gets some, but not a crazy amount.... both Ruggs and Ross have to consistently beat teams deep or with their speed before their gonna respect it enough to slide doubles and such his way.  And I order for that level of success it’s gonna take a lot more than just his speed.  He’s going to have to have significant improvement to route running,  release at line, and the finer detailed points of being a Good WR.

His speed could immediately day one command an approach of off man coverage, and that opens up quick hitting passes that Ruggs routinely took to the house in college. Will he do it in the pros? We'll see. 

Lamb still would have been my preferred choice, but I prefer Ruggs to Jeudy. We'll see if it translates to the NFL but I see more dominant traits with his speed, acceleration, explosion and leaping ability. 

I'm in the mindset of trusting Gruden and Mayock. I can see the foundation they are trying to build. And really that's what you want, a plan, a process. They have one. They just better be right. 

I think Ruggs low end is a Cooks type of WR with better hands. His high end could be TY Hilton. The high end would be worth the 12th pick IMO. The low end would be a slight reach. But Ruggs has a more well rounded game than your typical combine "burner" so I don't see him being a Ross type of bust. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

I’m not trying to knock Ruggs by saying he’s a little bit raw at the finer points of being a WR.  He’s got the potential to be a complete WR.  
but in the meantime (next 2 years) we really need Gruden to scheme up plays to get him the ball.  We can’t just stick him out there and say “play within the offense”.  He’s going to need a heavy mix of screens, jet sweeps, slants to get the ball into his hands easily.  
i actually think we’ll see Williams and Waller used to open up coverages for Ruggs early on.  He’s gotta beat people to command the extra coverages.  
I don’t think you can put him out there and in place of Zay Jones and expect great results.  We gotta Get his feet wet with some easy, manufactured catches and runs before we see him have success just running deep.  If I only think your gonna go deep I don’t have to respect the slant or hitch and I’m giving you a Nice sized cushion and bailing out early.

but If you get  few short screens going to the house then CBs have to respect that and it will have a Ruggs blowing by them.

He likes that deep cross a lot. I dunno how many CBs can cover it. 

Also, that video posted earlier, showed a few back shoulder throws. I LOVED that.

Just now, Mr Raider said:

His speed could immediately day one command an approach of off man coverage, and that opens up quick hitting passes that Ruggs routinely took to the house in college. Will he do it in the pros? We'll see. 

Lamb still would have been my preferred choice, but I prefer Ruggs to Jeudy. We'll see if it translates to the NFL but I see more dominant traits with his speed, acceleration, explosion and leaping ability. 

I'm in the mindset of trusting Gruden and Mayock. I can see the foundation they are trying to build. And really that's what you want, a plan, a process. They have one. They just better be right. 

I think Ruggs low end is a Cooks type of WR with better hands. His high end could be TY Hilton. The high end would be worth the 12th pick IMO. The low end would be a slight reach. But Ruggs has a more well rounded game than your typical combine "burner" so I don't see him being a Ross type of bust. 

Ross was also injuries. We never got to see the best of Ross.

6 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

ETHHVseXkAM1Ywj?format=jpg&name=large

Meh. Ruggs was the only top WR in the class to have 10%+ of his targets come on 5 different routes over the last two seasons. (Screens, Go Routes, In Routes, Crossing Routes, and Slant Routes) And on that list he has one of, if not the most, evenly distributed targets amongst different routes. College production doesn't mean much though because you could've made a case that Jacobs wasn't ready to be a feature back after like 250 carries in college. 

I also disagree that he's gotta beat people to command extra coverages early in his career. He was the #1 WR off of the board and coordinators are going to know about him and the speed that he brings to the table. Will Fuller has averaged like 500 yards per year in his career and still opens up a ton for the Texans offense because you have to respect his speed. 

• Like 2