Pick #12 is in: WR Henry Ruggs, Alabama

RaidersAreOne

jet sweeps, slants, sluggos,, reverses, bubble screens, hitches, curls, crossing routes...Gruden is gonna get this man the rock.

We needed speed on offense, we had one of the games best run games and TE units, without a deep threat. Add Ruggs to that mix, our offense just got a lot more dynamic. 

We don't need a volume guy, we have that in Waller, we needed a guy to take the top off and make defenses respects every level of the field.

Play action is gonna be nasty.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Geezy said:

We don't need a volume guy, we have that in Waller, we needed a guy to take the top off and make defenses respects every level of the field.

In theory I like our primary 4 targets. Waller will be the volume guy with 100+ catches and then you can spread the ball out pretty evenly among our top 3 WR. Renfrow is another possession guy over the middle of the field, Williams is one of the best deep threats in the league, and I'm sure we'll scheme up a lot of ways to get the ball into Ruggs hands in space. 

2 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

You don't draft THIS at 12 overall. You draft the WR who can take over games and win in the red zone. 

THIS was the Al Davis philosophy ----------> Phase 1: Draft Speed, Phase 2: ?, Phase 3: Profit

In this draft there is no WR like that.

You could project one to do it but there's no blue chip WR.

Judy was never close to the prospect Cooper was coming out of college.

Just now, Bitty 2.0 said:

Judy was never close to the prospect Cooper was coming out of college.

People forget that Cooper was a top 5 pick coming out of Alabama. Mike Mayock had him as the 5th best player on his board and Daniel Jeremiah had him as his 4th best player. 

11 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I think we get one of our guys in the mood of a big receiver today!

Ruggs jumped 42 and flashed strong hands and contested catch. Can he play above the rim consistently? We’ll see.

Viska and Ruggs would be a dream scenarrio. Just don't see them being in a spot to get him. Hoping Edwards drops to 80 in that case. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

That's where we completely disagree. He needs to produce high numbers to be worth the pick.

I don't think so. This isn't the Las Vegas Fantasy Football Champs. It's about winning games, and scoring points. 

If Jacobs averages .5 yards per carry more because Ruggs is keeping safeties back, that  has value. And he does that right away, day 1. We don't need to see if he develops before defenses respect him. They will do that right away. If he makes Waller and Refrow's job easier, that has value.

If he gets 6 targets in a game, and one is a deep connection, and one is a pass interference, that is top 12 value. It just is. You would take that every game. 

You're trying to build a great passing game, there's more than one way to do that.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, massraider said:

I don't think so. This isn't the Las Vegas Fantasy Football Champs. It's about winning games, and scoring points. 

If Jacobs averages .5 yards per carry more because Ruggs is keeping safeties back, that  has value. And he does that right away, day 1. We don't need to see if he develops before defenses respect him. They will do that right away. If he makes Waller and Refrow's job easier, that has value.

If he gets 6 targets in a game, and one is a deep connection, and one is a pass interference, that is top 12 value. It just is. You would take that every game. 

You're trying to build a great passing game, there's more than one way to do that.

Reading this I get the sense of it's similar to Ferrell. Sure he may not get the sexy sack numbers but he'll do a lot for our D that won't show up in the stat sheet like sealing the edge, firing the right gaps, etc.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

To the “Carr is god“ section. No excuses still.....?

What about those of us who are atheists but still like Carr? 😁😁

Doesn't this really depend on if Ruggs is actually any good as a pro and if our other options can stay healthy. If Ruggs turns out to be a good player and our other options can stay healthy and we still underperform on offence then Carr rightly should be criticised heavily.

I still feel like we need to add another outside WR option as a few others have said. Make sure we have no excuses, and that goes for the whole offence plus Gruden, Mayock and Olsen. 

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

This issue here is Gruden has final say and this pick (Like Ferrell) proved that. Gruden wanted Ruggs, Mayock and the scout like Lamb reportedly.

Meh I think Ferrell was all mike may

grud is more flashy imo

ferrell is too basic

• Like 1