Pick #12 is in: WR Henry Ruggs, Alabama

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, Counselor said:

I would think you guys would trust Mayock a bit more after the production you got from your rookie class last year. I know Ferrell was taken very high and wasn’t a ten sack rookie but he has potential there. He had 4.5 sacks it’s like he was terrible. Trust the process. 

That's probably because we thought Reggie was a drafting god after the 2014 draft. It's going to take more than 1 draft to know who's good and who's not.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Our fan base is an absolute mess.

It really is.  The initial shock of not taking who the mock draft said we should take goes away and it actually does make sense.  

Edited by Totty

1 minute ago, oakdb36 said:

It's going to take more than 1 draft to know who's good and who's not.

Especially more than 12 hours too. Some people (not pointed at you) make it sound like Ruggs is Ross 2.0 and Arnette is an XFLer. If we don't land a blue chipper Raider Nation pretty much riots.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Counselor said:

I would think you guys would trust Mayock a bit more after the production you got from your rookie class last year. I know Ferrell was taken very high and wasn’t a ten sack rookie but he has potential there. He had 4.5 sacks it’s like he was terrible. Trust the process. 

This issue here is Gruden has final say and this pick (Like Ferrell) proved that. Gruden wanted Ruggs, Mayock and the scout like Lamb reportedly.

Pretty surprised by our picks to be honest, though best not to rush to judgement. See how these guys look in action but can understand how we feel there were potentially better guys available. Not many people saw Crosby last year after all!

7 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Especially more than 12 hours too. Some people (not pointed at you) make it sound like Ruggs is Ross 2.0 and Arnette is an XFLer. If we don't land a blue chipper Raider Nation pretty much riots.

I just can't imagine a scenario where 5 years from now we look back and say... so glad we drafted Ruggs over Lamb. 

Just now, RaidersAreOne said:

You think Gruden wanted Ferrell? I always had the feeling that was a Mayock selection.

lol... 1000000%. Gruden is in complete control of round 1. They were desperate for pass rusher and forced a pick with no elite traits in the top 5.

Mayock gets to do his job day 2 and 3. Which is why I think he gets a WR he likes who ultimately is the better WR of the class. 

Mayock said 1st round WRs are hard to evaluate because they don't see a lot of press coverage. So the pick just doesn't jive with Mayock's comments. 

When pressed, Ruggs was pushed around and ineffective. Fulton OWNED him this past season. Got in his face, challenged his speed  by being physical and took his lunch money. And that was consistent with the top SEC corners. He struggled against them.

Just now, big_palooka said:

When pressed, Ruggs was pushed around and ineffective. Fulton OWNED him this past season. Got in his face, challenged his speed  by being physical and took his lunch money. And that was consistent with the top SEC corners. He struggled against them.

Check out the video I posted earlier about pressing vs. Fulton. He didn't own him. Yes Ruggs needs to get stronger but CB's sure have to be confident pressing 4.27 speed because as Hill has shown, if anything you need to give serious cushion.

2 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Mayock said 1st round WRs are hard to evaluate because they don't see a lot of press coverage. So the pick just doesn't jive with Mayock's comments. 

Just like how I don't trust anything Gruden says, I wouldn't look too much into what MM says around the draft. He's too smart to show his hand and was smoke screening left and right.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Just like how I don't trust anything Gruden says, I wouldn't look too much into what MM says around the draft. He's too smart to show his hand and was smoke screening left and right.

To the point they were in constant contact with Lamb throughout the process only to take Ruggs