Pick #12 is in: WR Henry Ruggs, Alabama

RaidersAreOne

21 minutes ago, Chwf3rd25 said:

Some interesting tidbits: 

And Vic Tafur indicated on the Athletic podcast that Jeudy was WR1 for most of the room but Gruden wanted Ruggs.

A tackle? Like an offensive tackle? Interesting. Rumors were always that Ruggs was Gruden's guy and Lamb was Mayock's guy.

31 minutes ago, Chwf3rd25 said:

Some interesting tidbits: 

And Vic Tafur indicated on the Athletic podcast that Jeudy was WR1 for most of the room but Gruden wanted Ruggs.

Not sure what is going on with this tweet ?

There is no OAK anymore. We were considering a Tackle, then started discussing WRS but not Ruggs. Conversation on Jeudy/Lamb then Ruggs was mentioned and  then pick was made based on we are not sure but we will go with the fast guy? 

This has to be BS.

20 pages in 20 hours?!? 'Shelter in place' is killing me with keeping up with you guys. LOL

Ruggs was my 2nd choice but I'm happy none the less. Hoping to get a bigger possession type WR to add to the collection, but Ruggs makes the 'team' better. Jacobs won't see as many stacked boxes. If Carr dumps it off to Ruggs it could gom to the house for a huge play. Waller can't be doubled and Williams won't be seen as 'the deep threat' even though he is. Renfrow will have a bit more room to work with. This opens the offense in ways that only a few players could have. Ruggs, Reagor and Hamler got that juice and Ruggs like Jacobs was underused in an all NFL Alabama team. Probably 4 1st rounders just at WR in 2 years and all were on the same team.

Had it been my favorite Jeudy...I'd be happy but concerned that Carr would see a Cooper clone with the excellent route running but drops.

Had it been Lamb...I'd be concerned about needing a burner in the 3rd round but 2 of the 3 I mentioned are already gone so...Lamb's off field is why he was 3rd for me.

I'd been happy with any and glad we didn't reach for a 3rd round WR with better talent on the board, but that's for another 1st round thread... :S

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

A tackle? Like an offensive tackle? Interesting. Rumors were always that Ruggs was Gruden's guy and Lamb was Mayock's guy.

BPA should always be in consideration for every team. It amazes me how much Raider Fans overrate Kolton Miller. Miller was pretty streaky last year. He started off great but I’d grade his overall season as “Slightly Above-Average”. You can also try to move Miller to G if you draft an OT, many analysts that draft wanted him to be a G. 

Not saying I’d draft an OT myself, but this OT class was nuts, and a serious conversation should of definitely been taking place among Mayock/Gruden. Which it apparently did. 

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

BPA should always be in consideration for every team. It amazes me how much Raider Fans overrate Kolton Miller. Miller was pretty streaky last year. He started off great but I’d grade his overall season as “Slightly Above-Average”. You can also try to move Miller to G if you draft an OT, many analysts that draft wanted him to be a G. 

Not saying I’d draft an OT myself, but this OT class was nuts, and a serious conversation should of definitely been taking place among Mayock/Gruden. Which it apparently did. 

The OT discussion might have also been a part of the proposed trade with Tampa Bay. We almost traded back with them but then it fell through last minute. Cause in those discussions they could've been selling them on the drop off after Wirfs came off of the board. 

4 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Josina is good with her sources, but that tweet is a complete word salad.

My translation

1. We were initially discussing OTs (Wirfs probably, maybe re: a trade down with TB?)

2. Then we started discussing & debating WRs

3. People in the draft discussions thought our WR1 was Jeudy but the group began favoring Ruggs while OTC

4. Decided to go with Ruggs - close with Jeudy and we were willing to take a chance on speed

2 minutes ago, Chwf3rd25 said:

My translation

1. We were initially discussing OTs (Wirfs probably, maybe re: a trade down with TB?)

3. People in the draft discussions thought our WR1 was Jeudy but the group began favoring Ruggs while OTC

4. Decided to go with Ruggs - close with Jeudy and we were willing to take a chance on speed

Further translation:

Gruden/Mayock let staff think Lamb was their guy. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chwf3rd25 said:

My translation

Also important to take into account that we were very close to a trade with Tampa Bay who was coming up to get an OT. Which would make sense as to why we were discussing tackles, especially with SF reportedly being aggressive in their desire to move down. I could see Mayock and company discussing how big of a drop off there was after Wirfs as a way to request more draft capital in a potential trade down. And also selling the idea that if they didn't come get their guy that there was a good chance SF would trade out of the next spot with a team coming to get him. Which makes even more sense considering they still moved up one spot to get him so the 49ers likely had another trade partner in play.

28 minutes ago, Chwf3rd25 said:

My translation

Don’t you think we would have had our WR rankings sorted before the draft ? Seems bizarre to be discussing the rankings at that late stage. I’d be worried if I thought that was true.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dessie said:

Don’t you think we would have had our WR rankings sorted before the draft ? Seems bizarre to be discussing the rankings at that late stage. I’d be worried if I thought that was true.

That's what Tafur and Anderson are both implying and they're very reliable

Edited by Chwf3rd25