Pick #12 is in: WR Henry Ruggs, Alabama

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, Rich7sena said:

I don't consider Edwards developmental. He's relatively polished as a receiver. He too played all over the field and showed an upper-level ability to run routes in college.

I think Renfrow still finds his way off the field, but I'm thinking he easily gets less targets and receptions next season. There are simply more talented mouths to feed.

Edwards struggled with drops, in contested catch situations, and on deep passes last season. He certainly is a developmental player, IMO. 

Yeah he'll definitely get less targets but he's going to play a lot. 

1 hour ago, Rich7sena said:

Pure slot receivers are going away. The best slot receivers are also the best receivers in the NFL and tight ends.

That's true but slot WR's still have value. Renfrow was super consistent for us on third down last season with 23 catches for 344 yards and 3 TD. He was also 13th in the league with 9 catches in the red zone and had the 16th best catch rate in the league. 

47 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Its definitely possible

Agreed. The Chargers leaned on Keenan Allen hard his last two years but had a pretty balanced passing attack after that. In 2017/2018 Allen had 295 targets and the Chargers had 4/5 other players with between 50-70 targets after that. In 2016 when Allen was hurt and he had 100+ targets he had 1,000 yards and 7 TD. When he was healthy during the first five weeks he was on pace for around 100 targets and 1,000+ yards. He was also in the top 15 in yards per reception for the 4th consecutive season averaging over 15.0 ypc in each of those seasons. 

48 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Agreed. The Chargers leaned on Keenan Allen hard his last two years but had a pretty balanced passing attack after that. In 2017/2018 Allen had 295 targets and the Chargers had 4/5 other players with between 50-70 targets after that. In 2016 when Allen was hurt and he had 100+ targets he had 1,000 yards and 7 TD. When he was healthy during the first five weeks he was on pace for around 100 targets and 1,000+ yards. He was also in the top 15 in yards per reception for the 4th consecutive season averaging over 15.0 ypc in each of those seasons. 

I like Williams and think he will be good, but If Ruggs and Edwards show up with Bowden also making plays, then you might have to make a business decision and spend that money elsewhere. Ruggs, Edwards, Renfrow, Waller, Bowden, Jacobs only one football.

7 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

I like Williams and think he will be good, but If Ruggs and Edwards show up with Bowden also making plays, then you might have to make a business decision and spend that money elsewhere. Ruggs, Edwards, Renfrow, Waller, Bowden, Jacobs only one football.

I’d love to move on from Williams and spend that money plus some more for a legit WR1, but I think there’s a very good chance we rely on him very heavily this year.   Edwards might contribute a bit this year but he’s more likely to need a year.  He was criminally misused at SC.  I doubt Bowden gets a ton of carries or targets.

The question will be did Williams do enough to warrant his pay or do we want to upgrade from him for a better starter via FA or draft.  I don’t think Edwards comes on so hard that he’s the force that pushes Williams out.  It’s more likely we have high hopes for him in ‘21 but don’t rely on him to be the starter.

21 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

I’d love to move on from Williams and spend that money plus some more for a legit WR1, but I think there’s a very good chance we rely on him very heavily this year.   Edwards might contribute a bit this year but he’s more likely to need a year.  He was criminally misused at SC.  I doubt Bowden gets a ton of carries or targets.

The question will be did Williams do enough to warrant his pay or do we want to upgrade from him for a better starter via FA or draft.  I don’t think Edwards comes on so hard that he’s the force that pushes Williams out.  It’s more likely we have high hopes for him in ‘21 but don’t rely on him to be the starter.

Yeah that's what i meant in 2021 we need Williams fore sure this year.

• Like 1

I think were taking Renfrow for granted a bit here, its easy to say guys are more talented, but all Renfrow did was produce. Yea he doesn't "look" like an NFL WR, but 3rd and Renfrow is real. As Mayock mentioned he outproduced a bunch of guys picked a lot higher than he was the past few years, he made tough catches in tough situations

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Geezy said:

I think were taking Renfrow for granted a bit here, its easy to say guys are more talented, but all Renfrow did was produce. Yea he doesn't "look" like an NFL WR, but 3rd and Renfrow is real. As Mayock mentioned he outproduced a bunch of guys picked a lot higher than he was the past few years, he made tough catches in tough situations

He also had 2 long TDs. Kid is a baller. I don't want to see him off the field unless there's a REALLY good reason.

• Like 3

On 4/24/2020 at 11:02 PM, RaidersAreOne said:

What are peoples thoughts about Ruggs being a KR like Gruden pointed to? Personally that scares the crap out of me. No doubt he would be an absolute weapon back there but I prefer he perfects the craft of a WR and limit the chances of getting smacked around.

I just remember Tim Brown getting his knee injured and think....Pass on that.

• Like 1