Pick #12 is in: WR Henry Ruggs, Alabama

RaidersAreOne

47 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

He does, but I think a lot of that is Renfrow was one the only competent receiver the Raiders had--especially when Williams got injured. I imagine Carr could build similar chemistry with Ruggs and Edwards. I think Carr and Edwards' games mesh particularly well.

And Renfrow meshes well in the slot, Bowden will get moved around no doubt but i see him primary special teams and jacobs back up., the rest of those guys are 1 year rentals.

48 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

He does, but I think a lot of that is Renfrow was one the only competent receiver the Raiders had--especially when Williams got injured. 

This.

It got really, really ugly down the stretch there for passing options, I think the back to back picks for Bowden and Edwards, on top of the Ruggs made it clear how bare Gruyock thought the cupboard was.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, massraider said:

This.

It got really, really ugly down the stretch there for passing options, I think the back to back picks for Bowden and Edwards, on top of the Ruggs made it clear how bare Gruyock thought the cupboard was.

I bet Renfrow is on the field every 3rd down at least, suddenly people really thinking Agholor going to be taking a bunch of snaps. This guy begs to differ...

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/video/eagles-fan-catches-kids-burning-building-unlike-agholor

On 4/27/2020 at 1:10 PM, Rich7sena said:

Ruggs, Williams, Edwards, and Bowden are all more talented than Renfrow. 

I'm sure 90% of the WR's in the league are more talented than Renfrow. He had the 2nd most targets of any player on our roster last season behind Waller. He knows the system and he has chemistry with DC. Mayock himself said it's really difficult for rookie WR's to be successful in the NFL and it'll be even harder for our rookies this year to make that transition due to the offseason structure. I think Bowden was taken to be a RB that flexes out and moves around, Ruggs will obviously start on the outside, and Edwards is a developmental player behind Williams. 

Edited by NYRaider
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

And Renfrow meshes well in the slot, Bowden will get moved around no doubt but i see him primary special teams and jacobs back up., the rest of those guys are 1 year rentals.

Renfrow also had one of the best catch rates of any WR in the league last season. He's going to be the starting slot WR for us. 

Ruggs "problem" getting off press can be easily solved if he just works on getting a little stronger in his upper body. 
His double move is better than I thought. Tua flat out missed him on 2 40 yard touchdowns vs ole miss where he smoked the DB on consecutive drives with a double move.

I think his upside is as high as any in the class after watching him more. His floor is certainly lower than Lamb and Jeudy, but his immediate potential with usage is very high. Gruden has to utilize Ruggs rare speed and contested catch/hands combo.

Once he becomes a little more savvy with his releases (looking at Edgar Bennett), he can really dominate on underneath routes because CB's will be terrified of his double move.

Looking at his fit with carr, crossers and slants become a huge deal, especially deep crossers. I think Carr throws a fine deep ball, but he hasn't thrown a ton because of scheme/personnel so I'm looking forward to seeing some bombs in ruggs direction. He certainly has the downfield accuracy (contrary to the media pundits quipping about all the 5 yard throws smh).

• Like 2

Advanced issue found

29 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Ruggs will obviously start on the outside, and Edwards is a developmental player behind Williams. 

Why is this obvious? Ruggs played all over the field at Alabama and it makes more sense Ruggs would play from the slot a fair amount next season. Mayock or Gruden mentioned they'll want to manufacture touches for him and it's easier to do that when the receiver is off the line (screens, jet sweeps). Also, he doesn't have the best release off the line.

I don't consider Edwards developmental. He's relatively polished as a receiver. He too played all over the field and showed an upper-level ability to run routes in college.

I think Renfrow still finds his way off the field, but I'm thinking he easily gets less targets and receptions next season. There are simply more talented mouths to feed.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Why is this obvious? Ruggs played all over the field at Alabama and it makes more sense Ruggs would play from the slot a fair amount next season. Mayock or Gruden mentioned they'll want to manufacture touches for him and it's easier to do that when the receiver is off the line (screens, jet sweeps). Also, he doesn't have the best release off the line.

I don't consider Edwards developmental. He's relatively polished as a receiver. He too played all over the field and showed an upper-level ability to run routes in college.

I think Renfrow still finds his way off the field, but I'm thinking he easily gets less targets and receptions next season. There are simply more talented mouths to feed.

I think Ruggs will be of more value outside, but I see your perspective. I do think he gets moved around some and I can see packages where Edwards gets snaps over Renfrow in year 1.

I think renfrow is already an above average slot. He'll continue to get tons of catches IMO. I wouldn't be surprised if Renfrow leads this team in catches next year, as insane as that sounds. 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

I'm sure 90% of the WR's in the league are more talented than Renfrow. He had the 2nd most targets of any player on our roster last season behind Waller. He knows the system, he knows the system and he has chemistry with DC. Mayock himself said it's really difficult for rookie WR's to be successful in the NFL and it'll be even harder for our rookies this year to make that transition due to the offseason structure. I think Bowden was taken to be a RB that flexes out and moves around, Ruggs will obviously start on the outside, and Edwards is a developmental player behind Williams. 

Williams will be gone, next year, Edwards still has to develop and going forward it will be Ruggs, Edwards, Renfrow. by 2021.