Pick #12 is in: WR Henry Ruggs, Alabama

RaidersAreOne

7 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

The way I see it, Waller is the volume target. Ruggs is the dangerous #2 option who can hopefully become a "1" in terms of value over time.

They will essentially prevent each other from being bracketed and Ruggs will bring a "horizontal" element to the offense which will strain linebackers and open up the box/run game.

He has very underrated hands and is developing nuance in his route running. Which Edgar Bennett should be able to help him with. I think he will be a big impact player.

I feel like with the added weapons Wallers volume will decrease.  He was a volume last hog season due to the fact we had no other receiving threats, similar to Cook the year before.

Waller will be targeted heavily but I also think a decrease in volume will be a good thing bc that means our WR's are doing their job and getting separation.  

I agree about Ruggs, he will be an impact layer and I'm not sure many have mentioned but he is allegedly a very good blocker too which is a very underrated aspect of being a WR.  I can't wait to watch him and Edwards take the field. 

1 hour ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I feel like with the added weapons Wallers volume will decrease.  He was a volume last hog season due to the fact we had no other receiving threats, similar to Cook the year before.

Waller will be targeted heavily but I also think a decrease in volume will be a good thing bc that means our WR's are doing their job and getting separation.  

I agree about Ruggs, he will be an impact layer and I'm not sure many have mentioned but he is allegedly a very good blocker too which is a very underrated aspect of being a WR.  I can't wait to watch him and Edwards take the field. 

I hope we use Jacobs in the pass game, he has good hands. Would open things up for the offense to get him in space on a one and one. I’m excited for this season for so many reasons. Ruggs isn’t a twig like Hollywood, he’s actually really ripped. Going be hard for DBs to press him 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oakdb36 said:

Just curious. Do you think he'll be good value for where he was picked?

It has yet to be determined....  I have always been about selecting eilte X WR's early, especially in the top 5.  Once you get outside of the top 10 I am willing to make concessions and from what I can tell Ruggs is a well rounded WR who clearly has tremendous speed. 

I personally wanted a WR who will be a target hog but to say that Ruggs can't bring tremendous value outside of catching 90+ balls is not fair.  I am also not saying that he wont develop into a 90 catch guy because he very well could.  His speed alone will change the dynamic of this O and he appears to be a hard worker who is willing to put in the time to take his overall game to the next level.  

I will say that I like the pick and I think Ruggs can be a game changer for us. We needed some new blood at the WR position as it has been a glaring weakness for this team for many years.  

I will also add this, Rugg's posed much better value at 12 than Cooper did at 4. 

Edited by Frankie2Gunz

3 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Smaller wideouts who are explosive with skills are shining right now: DJ Moore, Tyler Lockett, Hollywood, Mclaurin, Tyreke etc. DBs can’t be as physical as the old days....

good post. NFL has changed in terms of defense limitations. give him ball in space and let him run by people.

Ruggs was my #2 pick.  He didn't lack anything, just wasn't the #1 guy on the most loaded WR group in history. Yet he still got his and he will with us too. Team player

Jeudy was who I wanted but his hands were suspect and with Coopers struggles with chemistry with Carr that may have been why. Some thought Ridley 2.0

Lamb had questions about speed (not true) and off field but seems like an Alpha dog and I was good with any of the 3. Wanted to trade up for him as he fell.

I've got no complaints and think Ruggs brings more to a 'team' than the other two. The speed to blow the top off. The moves to take a slant to the house. The ability to have other talented weapons on the team eating and you don't hear a complaint. The picks grows on me the more I think about it. 

We got so lucky to get that speed weapon element and later add the 6'3 possession red zone target to complement Ruggs explosiveness. 

It will take time to develop but our WR position should be good for a little while. Though if an injured WR comes out and slips to late 2nd early 3rd in 2021 I wouldn't be opposed to adding another. LOL 

On 7/23/2020 at 11:50 PM, G said:

It will take time to develop but our WR position should be good for a little while. Though if an injured WR comes out and slips to late 2nd early 3rd in 2021 I wouldn't be opposed to adding another. LOL 

Spot on.  We always should be looking to add talented weapons.  Rosters are always in fluctuation.  You have to constantly be looking to add weapons, especially on offense.  Players get hurt, veterans get released because of salary cap reasons, etc etc.  

And not for nothing,,,, some people might not like hearing it,,, but we still lack a WR1.  Ruggs is ideally a 2nd WR in this offense who should be alongside a more "possession" WR1.  While I think with the TEs and versatility and depth at WR that we have we dont need an elite WR1, and a guy like T.Williams will suffice due to Carr preferring to spread the ball around and not concentrate on targeting one player in high, high volume.  With that said, we might cut Williams for cap reasons.  Ruggs, Edwards, Renfrow will be on the team (assuming not injured and on IR) but Jones (WR5) and Agholor (WR6) are free agents in '21 and might be let go.  Those spot might need to be filled.

Also, it seems like the coaches wanted specific skills+traits from each WR.  Agholor, and Jones to some degree, bring speed and size to the slot WR position, something Refrow lacks.  Edwards and Williams bring size and speed.  Renfrow brings elusiveness, hands, and route-running to slot WR.  Depending how the season goes, we may look to add a new specialized WR to the group.

So yeah, I definitely think we need to constantly be looking to add WRs to the team and drafting one in '21 is definitely a distinct possibility, especially if its a good value selection as you mentioned.  Justyn Ross, Clemson, in the 3rd round? PLEASSSSE!

• Like 3

13 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Spot on.  We always should be looking to add talented weapons.  Rosters are always in fluctuation.  You have to constantly be looking to add weapons, especially on offense.  Players get hurt, veterans get released because of salary cap reasons, etc etc.  

And not for nothing,,,, some people might not like hearing it,,, but we still lack a WR1.  Ruggs is ideally a 2nd WR in this offense who should be alongside a more "possession" WR1.  While I think with the TEs and versatility and depth at WR that we have we dont need an elite WR1, and a guy like T.Williams will suffice due to Carr preferring to spread the ball around and not concentrate on targeting one player in high, high volume.  With that said, we might cut Williams for cap reasons.  Ruggs, Edwards, Renfrow will be on the team (assuming not injured and on IR) but Jones (WR5) and Agholor (WR6) are free agents in '21 and might be let go.  Those spot might need to be filled.

Also, it seems like the coaches wanted specific skills+traits from each WR.  Agholor, and Jones to some degree, bring speed and size to the slot WR position, something Refrow lacks.  Edwards and Williams bring size and speed.  Renfrow brings elusiveness, hands, and route-running to slot WR.  Depending how the season goes, we may look to add a new specialized WR to the group.

So yeah, I definitely think we need to constantly be looking to add WRs to the team and drafting one in '21 is definitely a distinct possibility, especially if its a good value selection as you mentioned.  Justyn Ross, Clemson, in the 3rd round? PLEASSSSE!

It sounds insane, but if someone like Jaylen Waddle is there at wherever we pick next year, hard to imagine us passing on them.

13 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

It sounds insane, but if someone like Jaylen Waddle is there at wherever we pick next year, hard to imagine us passing on them.

I don’t think it’s insane at all, but I get what you mean.

Ive always been of the belief you should take TRY to advantage of a particular draft class's heavy depth at a position.  Meaning, in every draft there are a few positions that have a more than normal amount of quality prospects at a position. IE this year was heavy on WRs.  Now, some classes are deep but too heavy or bottom heavy.  This year had an unusual amount of 1st round OTs but was weaker than normal in rounds 3-7s. When the depth of a draft’s particular position aligns with your needs you should TRY and take advantage of this.  You can often get Normally 2nd rounders in the 3rd round, normally 3rd rounders in the 5th round, etc. 

Part of this belief I’m laying out is that outside of cornerstone players on a team rosters are always in a state of heavy fluctuation.  I’d estimate most teams only have a max of 10-15 players who are more than likely be on the team for the next 2 years.  While we’re rich at WRs today (Williams, Ruggs, Renfrow, Edwards, Z.Jones, Agholor plus Doss, Ateman, Gafford trying to steal someone’s spot or going to the PS) next year we could need to fill several roster spots.  We might only see Ruggs, Renfrow, and Edwards return.... meaning 3 WRs would be needed.  Essentially, we’d need a WR1 (Ruggs@2, Edwards@3) and WR4 plus a slot WR 2 (Renfrow@sWR1).  

To give an example.... outside of the fact some people wouldn’t want to spend 2 1sts on WRs.... it would have been better value to get Lamb @ 19 (who ranked anywhere from WR1 to WR3 in a VERY tightly and heavily disputed ranking) then CB4 in Arnette (who was ranked CB4-8 and was on the outside of the “top/1st round” CB rankings).

So if the ‘21 draft class is as heavy as it looks to be we should certainly heavily consider adding a great prospect like Waddle.  Smaller, fast WRs are the new trend due to similar players recent success. not to mention the “BIG or possession” WR role looks to be filled by Edwards.  Also, I know it’s not a popular opinion but Renfrow hasn’t proven that he’s a cornerstone player and while rather productive due to his limitations he’ll always be in consideration for upgrading from, especially as the team gets into title contention.  I like Renfrow a lot but that’s just a fact.  We brought in Agholor to add speed and athleticism to the slot WR position already because of Renfrows limitations.

If Carr has success with the upgraded WRs, expect the team (and certainly fans) to consider upgrading and adding to these WRs/weapons to further The success.

Personally, I think it’s more likely we spend a ‘21 2nd or 3rd round pick on a WR and capitalize on the depth in the class then spend a 1st, but it’s definitely possible.  

If we could draft (just off the top of the head.... not making a list and looking at it... hypothetical) WR5-6 in next years class in the 50s then I’d definitely consider it heavily.  I would however, favor a slightly larger player than Waddle.  I do believe our offense is being built to try and mimic KC (heavy TE presence with depth and speed at WR) but we are still and will be a West Coast Offense, and having chain moving possession WRs is still a need.

Ugh, F Dallas.... I really wish Lamb fell to 19 and we had Lamb and Ruggs.  

In conclusion.... I really wouldn’t mind spending a 2nd/3rd AND a 5/6th on WRs in the ‘21 draft.  I think Jones and Agholor could be replaced (they are FAs) with a midround draft pick.  

To play Devil’s Advocate:  The problem with spending a 2/3 on a WR is that Edwards would need to start and the draft pick would be WR3.  Idk if its a good idea to not have a veteran, proven starting WR for the year we are suppose to be “contenders”.  We might pass on the idea and stick with Williams, if he has a good ‘20 season or sign a better starting WR in FA.

Some ‘21 WR quick “research” links:

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2021-wide-receiver-rankings-nfl-draft/

https://walterfootball.com/draft2021WR.php

http://www.tankathon.com/nfl/mock_draft

• Like 1

On 7/23/2020 at 11:50 PM, G said:

Ruggs was my #2 pick.  He didn't lack anything, just wasn't the #1 guy on the most loaded WR group in history. Yet he still got his and he will with us too. Team player

Jeudy was who I wanted but his hands were suspect and with Coopers struggles with chemistry with Carr that may have been why. Some thought Ridley 2.0

Lamb had questions about speed (not true) and off field but seems like an Alpha dog and I was good with any of the 3. Wanted to trade up for him as he fell.

I've got no complaints and think Ruggs brings more to a 'team' than the other two. The speed to blow the top off. The moves to take a slant to the house. The ability to have other talented weapons on the team eating and you don't hear a complaint. The picks grows on me the more I think about it. 

We got so lucky to get that speed weapon element and later add the 6'3 possession red zone target to complement Ruggs explosiveness. 

I wanted Lamb then ruggs. juedy will be solid too, prob somewhere in between cooper and Ridley. Just thought Lamb was best overall in group. Ruggs was the only one to offer what he offers though in terms of downfield threat anytime he is out there. 

with that said, the Bryan Edwards pick make the ruggs pick ever more likeable. I thought offense got major upgrade. ruggs we needed, just hope Carr uses him

• Like 1

i dont think he's ever going to be a 90 catch type guy, nor do I think he has to become Tyreek Hill to justify the pick. there are a range of outcomes like Brandin Cooks, DeSean Jackson, Will Fuller that would all make him worthwhile at 12 (obviously if Lamb becomes Hopkins we will kick ourselves almost no matter what).

then there's even the "good player, but not necessarily at his draft spot" range of outcomes like Ted Ginn, Robbie Anderson, or a durable/consistent jacoby ford.

Edited by Turnobili

1 hour ago, Turnobili said:

i dont think he's ever going to be a 90 catch type guy, nor do I think he has to become Tyreek Hill to justify the pick. there are a range of outcomes like Brandin Cooks, DeSean Jackson, Will Fuller that would all make him worthwhile at 12 (obviously if Lamb becomes Hopkins we will kick ourselves almost no matter what).

then there's even the "good player, but not necessarily at his draft spot" range of outcomes like Ted Ginn, Robbie Anderson, or a durable/consistent jacoby ford.

I don't have a comparison for Ruggs. He's faster than Cooks, Jackson, and Fuller. He's a better contested catch guy than all of them. But he's also not as twitchy as say, Hill.