1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

6 hours ago, fistfullofbeer said:

True. That defense is definitely not that good and may not even get Clowney back. But, I think Pete Carroll knows how to get more out of his roster than the Packers coaching staff and Russell Wilson is in his prime. That is one team that I truly dread playing because they are one of the best 2nd half teams in the league. The good thing is that they tend to fall asleep during the first half of most games.

It was LF 1st year and Carroll has been there 1000 years.  Wilson is damn good and carrys them ... rest of that team sucks.

15 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

And Green Bay still hasn't made the moves to hang with what will likely be some of the top teams in the NFC (SF, TB). 

I still expect your team to win the division this year and be a top 3 seed, but the Packers should be gearing up for one last run with Rodgers, not looking for his replacement.

Point to the ONE player we passed on that is going to make a huge difference THIS year and we'll look back on that at the end of the year. 

You know who got a lot better last night? Our receiving corp, that's right. Rodgers is going to have to start throwing in the rhythm of the offense and those young receivers who have been open and ignored, they are going to get a lot of balls their way. We need an interior defensive lineman and an OT out of this draft yet. That's really it. You could say we need a WR and ILB but I believe we have the talent at those positions to be a legit contender. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, beekay414 said:

I won't even get on podcasts, man. My voice is a voice only a mother could love. I'll spare you guys to just reading my typing lol.

It’d be fine. In my head I read your posts in Beaker’s voice anyway, like, “Meep meep meep”.*

*Please note that I do not allow the meeping sound to add or detract from the intended content of the post. 

5 hours ago, deltarich87 said:

for the record, it's not taking a QB RD1 that upsets me. It's just...I didn't think this was the right year to do it(Rodgers contract basically means we aren't talking until 2023 at the earliest for when we see change) and I also just don't like Jordan Love as a prospect at all.  They pretty much just locked themselves into waiting until Love is 24-25 yrs old and in yr4-5 of his rookie deal before he likely gets his chance as the heir apparent. This completely nullifies any advantage you'd have with him on his rookie contract since he'll be up for an extension by the time he gets his chance. Just a bad decision from an evaluation standpoint and process standpoint IMO

Not wild with the pick either and no offense but thinking I'm siding with Gute and LF for evaluating talent over what you may think.

So at best we burn 3 of the 5 years where the rookie contract values give a team the advantage.   A QB playing for the first time isn't going to go far.

This management team needs to answer why they gave Rodgers that last contract.  If this was a possibility then they should have made him play out the last contract, and had the use of franchise tags as well to bridge the gap to the next QB.

The decision to give him the last contract should have voided this situation from being a possibility.   It is 2 years to early for this move if the team has the goal of winning SB.    This move tells the fan base that they are content to be a .500 or slightly above team.  Winning the SB isn't necessary.     Just keep their jobs.

If they were going to make this pick, they needed to announce what they received in trading Rodgers as well.  Keeping him around now isn't going to get us a thing.    Just delays going for a SB for a few years.

3 hours ago, beekay414 said:

How do people watch Jordan Love, objectively, and not drool? Yes, he forced a **** ton last year. I don't care. He flashes better skills than a kid that went #6 overall in this draft. God, if he went to Oregon or Alabama, nobody would have this narrative against him. I've said for a long time he's QB#3 in this draft behind only Burrow and Tu'a and we just hit a god damn HR again. You give him time to sit, and if Aaron's the professional he says he is, he gets to learn from him? Yeah, we're ahead of the game. 

I find that far more appealing than drafting a friggin' center for my 42 year old QB.

This was the singularly most depressing pick in the last 40+ years.   I didn't like picking Gary, Randall, Nick Perry, Justin Harrell etc.  Those picks combined do not bother me half as much as this pick.   Those misguided picks still seemed like the Packers trying to get better.    This pick doesn't help them get better.

How do you have confidence in a front office that gives Rodgers the contract extension and then pushes him out?

The hate for this pick has nothing to do with Jordan Love.   If we had the first pick in the draft this would have been the wrong way to go.  Either trade Rodgers for assets, or don't pick the QB.

How do you feel good about a GM whose last two 1st round picks are Rashan Gary and Jordan Love?   Does he not know that you can pick players in the first round that make you better?

How can you support trading up and losing another pick to get a player that wont help for 3-4 years even if you are optimistic?

Rodgers has stated he would like to play until he is 40. So the question is what happens first. do the Packers resign Rodgers after his contract is up (as long as he is healthy, obviously) and trade Love (IMO no developing QB is going to sit 4 years on the bench) or do they let Rodgers walk in FA if he does play to 40?

I think they let Rodgers walk after his contract is up, no way they make themselves look dumb on drafting a QB in the 1st just to trade him 4 years later do they?

18 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

This was the singularly most depressing pick in the last 40+ years.   I didn't like picking Gary, Randall, Nick Perry, Justin Harrell etc.  Those picks combined do not bother me half as much as this pick.   Those misguided picks still seemed like the Packers trying to get better.    This pick doesn't help them get better.

How do you have confidence in a front office that gives Rodgers the contract extension and then pushes him out?

The hate for this pick has nothing to do with Jordan Love.   If we had the first pick in the draft this would have been the wrong way to go.  Either trade Rodgers for assets, or don't pick the QB.

How do you feel good about a GM whose last two 1st round picks are Rashan Gary and Jordan Love?   Does he not know that you can pick players in the first round that make you better?

How can you support trading up and losing another pick to get a player that wont help for 3-4 years even if you are optimistic?

Assuming Rodgers is traded in 2022, his contract will have ended up being 4/125. Essentially 31 million per year. That is every bit in line with extensions that top 10 QBs are starting. 

So they signed Rodgers to a reasonable 4 year deal, and then found a guy who can sit for two years and then take over the reins. I get wanting to go-for-it with Rodgers still here, I do, but if you believe that you should never go all in and balance the short and the long term, this makes all the sense in the world. 

I feel like we have a GM with longterm vision rather than a guy who's playing whack-a-mole and trying to patch holes every year. 

He'll start in his 3rd year. He has two years to sit and learn.

And that assumes we have a season this year. If we don't have a season this year, he has one year to sit and learn in 2021.

+++

Also the contract that he's going to have for the team he is traded to will be 2/50 with no guaranteed money in the second year, assuming there isn't a demand for an extenstion.

Edited by AlexGreen#20
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Assuming Rodgers is cut in 2022, his contract will have ended up being 4/125. Essentially 31 million per year. That is every bit in line with extensions that top 10 QBs are starting. 

So they signed Rodgers to a reasonable 4 year deal, and then found a guy who can sit for two years and then take over the reins. I get wanting to go-for-it with Rodgers still here, I do, but if you believe that you should never go all in and balance the short and the long term, this makes all the sense in the world. 

I feel like we have a GM with longterm vision rather than a guy who's playing whack-a-mole and trying to patch holes every year. 

And that assumes we have a season this year. If we don't have a season this year, he has one year to sit and learn in 2021.

It feels like its been like that for the past 15 years with their draft and develop philosophy. 

1 minute ago, dwaye50327 said:

It feels like its been like that for the past 15 years with their draft and develop philosophy. 

You were expecting something different?

Thompson spent money in Free Agency when he had it. You can disagree with the organizational philosophy, but that's the philosophy.

4 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

You were expecting something different?

Thompson spent money in Free Agency when he had it. You can disagree with the organizational philosophy, but that's the philosophy.

Its just frustrating to see teams like the Saints and 49ers getting better for next year, while the Packers are preparing for the future like they have been for the past 15-20 years, obviously that philosophy isn't working. It'll be another 10-11 wins for the packers with a playoff loss to another NFC west opponent most likely.

9 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Assuming Rodgers is traded in 2022, his contract will have ended up being 4/125. Essentially 31 million per year. That is every bit in line with extensions that top 10 QBs are starting. 

+++

Also the contract that he's going to have for the team he is traded to will be 2/50 with no guaranteed money in the second year, assuming there isn't a demand for an extenstion.

His first year as a starter is then still a year that will not be great.      So at best we throw away 3 years where a rookie contract gives a team a talent advantage.

This is a move to keep the team decent, but not a move to win Super Bowls.   If we want to win a SB you either trade Rodgers now, or wait 2 more years to pick the successor.  

Doing as you suggest means hoping to get lucky rather than having a real plan for winning big.

If this was part of the plan, then the plan to extend Rodgers was a bad one.