1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

On 6/1/2021 at 1:47 PM, cannondale said:

Not everyone knows that it's obvious a First Round QB is "worthy of grooming as a future No. 1 ?"  Is water also wet ?

Only in it's liquid and gaseous state...Sometimes in a solid form, but slush doesn't count...

Edited by 40Year Pack Fan

On 6/1/2021 at 2:20 PM, Joe said:

This is basically the condensed version of what I've been saying all along. So many of us are pissed at Rodgers that we'll go right ahead and claim Love to be the next best thing despite acknowledging that he's boom-or-bust based on the positives we see on the video, and the negatives we see in scouting reports and his 2019 stats FWIW. We often forget how spoilt we are because we went from one HOF QB in Favre to another in Rodgers almost seamlessly. 

Law of averages suggests having two HOF QB's is a row generally doesn't continue on to three....Remember Joe Montana and his heir apparent Steve Young?....

6 hours ago, fistfullofbeer said:

Got to learn how to crawl before you learn to walk. Right?

I think its the right strategy to be honest. Let him get the easy throws figured out and build some confidence. Can worry about the harder throws as that happens.

Also, I really think that those type of throws will work fine with Jones and Dillon driving the running game. If Love starts this season we have to hope that his first few games can be controlled by our D and running game. If we are forced to play from behind though, its going to be trial by fire.

A.J. Dillon said he is working on a nickname....His choices so far are Quadzilla and Quadfather....I like the former myself....

15 hours ago, Hugh_Mann said:

so I was looking at the Packs team stats for 2020 and something looked off to me

https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/stats/_/name/gb/green-bay-packers

Rodgers gets credit for throwing for 4299 yards last year ... but 2267 of those were yards after the catch

so Rodgers actually threw for 2032 yards which for 372 completions brings his yards per pass average down to 5.47

He was efficient, but hardly a miraculous year by a QB ... Love should be just fine in this offense now that it's balanced with a good run game

Then there is no such thing as a miraculous season by a QB if you are able to argue that a QB should get no credit for YAC.  

Patrick Mahomes is considered the most talented QB in the NFL by most and his pass catchers have had SUBSTANTIALLY more YAC in each of his healthy years starting than GB last year.  Your argument would suggest that Patrick Mahomes is easily replaced by any warm body placed in the Kansas City offense.

This last year we had 50 yards more YAC from our pass catchers than we got in 2018, a season in which our offense was a dumpster fire.  I don't think it's a stat that you can fairly judge the production of a QB with.  

14 hours ago, 40Year Pack Fan said:

Law of averages suggests having two HOF QB's is a row generally doesn't continue on to three....Remember Joe Montana and his heir apparent Steve Young?....

Hate to be that guy... but the “law of averages” generally leads down the path of application of the gamblers fallacy.  The truth is, the fact Green Bay has hit on two consecutive hall of fame QB’s in a row does not impact the result for the next spin of the wheel (Love) at all.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Cpdaly23 said:

Hate to be that guy... but the “law of averages” generally leads down the path of application of the gamblers fallacy.  The truth is, the fact Green Bay has hit on two consecutive hall of fame QB’s in a row does not impact the result for the next spin of the wheel (Love) at all.  

In a vacuum you are absolutely correct. However, GB has a "system" in place and a situation that will greatly increase Love's chance for success. So I would argue that the success of former QBs is at least partially impacted by factors still relevant and present in GB. 

So I agree that Favre and Rodgers as individuals have no impact on Love's chances of success. But the underlying system behind them that provided them the opportunity to find success is still impacting Love going forward.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

In a vacuum you are absolutely correct. However, GB has a "system" in place and a situation that will greatly increase Love's chance for success. So I would argue that the success of former QBs is at least partially impacted by factors still relevant and present in GB. 

So I agree that Favre and Rodgers as individuals have no impact on Love's chances of success. But the underlying system behind them that provided them the opportunity to find success is still impacting Love going forward.

I absolutely agree.  It’s not a perfect application as the variables change from person to person and spin to spin, but Green Bay SHOULD have a higher “hit” rate given their development style.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cpdaly23 said:

Agreed, but even as a standalone bet (i.e. just Jordan Love) it’s unlikely a team has drafted a HoF QB.

17 hours ago, 40Year Pack Fan said:

The same odds as finding one HOF QB, after having a 100% chance on the first two as its known.

6 hours ago, Cpdaly23 said:

Perhaps not on the surface, but with such a continued run of success, the downside will invariably be the quality of talent needed to continue will eventually dry up...There's no way around it...Being on top all those years, New England was able to avoid this due to the ability of having quality players want to come and play for Belichick and Brady....But even this came to an inglorious end when the talent pool dried up....Brady than moved on, and not surprisingly to a team needing somebody like him (Brady) and his recruits to make a SB run....

Edited by 40Year Pack Fan

6 hours ago, incognito_man said:

NE had a "system" too but through the continuation of having to pick towards the bottom of the draft, they eventually ran out of talent needed to continue with their success....It will inevitably happen to GB as well, as it's simply a fact of life in the world of competitive sports...

1 hour ago, 40Year Pack Fan said:

NE had a "system" too but through the continuation of having to pick towards the bottom of the draft, they eventually ran out of talent needed to continue with their success....It will inevitably happen to GB as well, as it's simply a fact of life in the world of competitive sports...

The draft is one avenue of improving the team and NE was generally not very good at it.  They had their hits but have not brought in tons of talent that way. What they have been great at is grabbing free agents that fit the identity they had established.  Sometimes high priced and sometimes scrap heap guys but they had a role in mind when they brought them in. It also didn't hurt to have a QB playing for below market value.  NE was ahead of several trends including getting two tight ends on the field, getting running backs involved in the passing game and having a defense that can effectively take at least one thing away from the opposition.  Knowing their identity and coaching guys up to fit has been their strength.  That and winning at all costs even when dodging the rules.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Refugee said:

The draft is one avenue of improving the team and NE was generally not very good at it.  They had their hits but have not brought in tons of talent that way. What they have been great at is grabbing free agents that fit the identity they had established.  Sometimes high priced and sometimes scrap heap guys but they had a role in mind when they brought them in. It also didn't hurt to have a QB playing for below market value.  NE was ahead of several trends including getting two tight ends on the field, getting running backs involved in the passing game and having a defense that can effectively take at least one thing away from the opposition.  Knowing their identity and coaching guys up to fit has been their strength.  That and winning at all costs even when dodging the rules.

I wrote something similar a couple posts back....I agree, a big difference is Tom Brady would take pay cuts in order to pay for free agents or to keep players around....This isn't something Rodgers seems to want to do...Should further add, FA players were quite eager to come and play for NE....Largely due to two HOF'ers in Belichick and Brady and a winning tradition/formula....MLF hasn't reached that status, and as brooding as AR can be, I'm not sure players will line up to play with him in the same way...

3 hours ago, 40Year Pack Fan said:

I wrote something similar a couple posts back....I agree, a big difference is Tom Brady would take pay cuts in order to pay for free agents or to keep players around....This isn't something Rodgers seems to want to do...Should further add, FA players were quite eager to come and play for NE....Largely due to two HOF'ers in Belichick and Brady and a winning tradition/formula....MLF hasn't reached that status, and as brooding as AR can be, I'm not sure players will line up to play with him in the same way...

This is a bul**** argument. There is no evidence that they had more success signing free agents. Brady had the best coach in the NFL. That was the difference. It's a bul**** argument.