With the 96th pick the Chiefs select: Lucas Niang OL TCU

Chiefer

Announced as a Tackle but I think he starts off at guard. Perfect for for our zone blocking scheme, but also a big boy that can put people into the turf

i am really liking this draft so far. 

Edited by Chiefer

1 minute ago, kingseanjohn said:

I forgot to mention. He also didn't allow a sack the past two years.

I saw that, athletic, big, doesn’t allow sacks. How does he fall to us in the 3rd? Hip injury?

I think he competes on the interior, but a great swing tackle is fine too.

The injury is an issue and he's a tweener.

Another is power. He is not strong for his position. For us, the ability to move and make plays in space covers that. 

IMO, the big reason is the strength of the OT class. Had this been a normal year, he goes 2nd, maybe early 3rd. Everyone has been saying how deep the draft pool is. This is a prime example.

J

42 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

Another is power. He is not strong for his position. For us, the ability to move and make plays in space covers that. 

How did you come to that conclusion? I've read everything I can and I haven't found anything saying he's "not strong" and he didn't participate in the combine...

Edited by Chiefs_5627

After i took a look at Niang, i'm also becoming a fan of his gameplay. He's a big, athletic and smart Tackle, that i really trust to take over one of the OT spots over the next 2 years, whenever we can't afford to pay Schwartz or Fisher anymore. He's pretty young, but i don't think he needs much developement at all. Some of his problems came due to a hip injury that he played through in 2019 until he had to underwent surgery. It sounds like he's almost 100 % again, so i think he can contribute at the start of the next season. Dunno how easy his transition to the Guard position will be, but it sounds like he definitely gets a shot their. I like what he brings to the table. He played RT at TCU and as someone said earlier, he hasn't allowed a single sack in his starts at TCU, which is very impressive and although he was a bit lucky (vs Texas in 2018 and 2019), you still need that kind of luck and it doesn't make it less impressive to me. Everything you can read on him is good. He's a very disciplined Tackle and his mental processing is very good. He impressed me in his game in 2018 vs Ohio State, when he faced both Chase Young and Nick Bosa and hold it's own ground. He had a few problems handling the speed rushes, but overall it was a good game.

I really like his athletic ability. He's agile, has an explosive first step and i'm optimistic that he can also keep up with speed rushers on the next level, as some of his problems this year probably were also a reason of his hip injury. Due to that injury he change his footwork in pass protection, which made it a bit more inconsistent in 2019 in comparison to 2018. He didn't trusted himself to attack rushers anymore and switched exclusively to backpedaling in pass protection. Playing through that injury definitely shows some toughness. For a guy at his size his pad level is rather low. He's smart and knows when he needs to pick up blockers. He can also play in any run scheme and run blocking in general is probably his best trait. He's smooth to make it to the 2nd level. With his explosive first step he's just a dominant run blocker, dominating in 1v1 blocks and with these abilities and his athletic skillset, he's a great fit for our system. A typical O-Lineman for Reid.

One area where i really think he really needs to get better is his hand fighting. His strength is not elite either, but decent enough, he just needs to make sure that he's staying in shape and doesn't carry bad weight with him. Overall i think he's going to surprise a lot of people, once he's completely healthy. I'm actually surprised, that he wasn't drafted earlier. For me he's definitely a 2nd round talent at worse, even based on his 2019 tape alone. After looking at him i think i would even go that far and say, that i think he's a steal for us with the 96th overall pick.

Even Chase Young has promising words for him.

Edited by Edge
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, TedLavie said:

Lucas Niang was one of my sleepers in this draft. I absolutely love that pick. Once we pay Mahomes, Fisher might be on the outs and Niang could be a perfect replacement.

I would not have called him a sleeper, but he was on my radar.

There was a cluster of OL I liked on the board. Like a lot of players, it comes down to whether he's versatile or a tweener. 

J