The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

2 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

For the team that is all that matters but when talking about a specific player you can not say he is fine because we won.  QBs get most of the credit and blame for the record but you still have to look a little deeper.  

Well that sure isn’t the narrative most of the Carr critics on here used up until after he won 10 games this year.

Edited by FloydFan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

He did more than enough to win some tough games late last year with a bad setup. I don't agree with the fade late narrative as of late. He made mistakes, but he also made some clutch throws when it counted.

We scorer less than 20 points in 8 of our last 11 games. 

1 hour ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Mehh defense carried us into the playoffs imo. Even David said yesterday josh won us that charger game to get into the playoffs. 

The biggest problem is you put losses on QBs alone, and wins on the team. 
Losses when our D gives up a Td with 30 seconds left, still go on the QB to you some how. 

Cant have it both ways my dude. 
Its either all on the qb, or its not. 
I dont think it should be. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Trust me I hear you.

Has carr earned a chance with a loaded roster? Imo yes

has carr earned a extension? Imo no

but this year will determine that

fwiw im more of a adams fan than carr

but carr has no excuses now

Agreed no excuses. I will admit I am pretty excited to see how Carr plays with an alpha bona-fide #1 guy like Adams. We were robbed of seeing Carr play with a talent like that a few years earlier due to ABs stupidity.  

Can we surround the B level QB with enough high end talent, and great coaching to get him to overcome some of the shortcomings he has shown in the past? We'll see. It worked for the Rams last year but they've been amongst the most talented teams for years.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

He did more than enough to win some tough games late last year with a bad setup. I don't agree with the fade late narrative as of late. He made mistakes, but he also made some clutch throws when it counted.

So wins now matter as a QB stat to you

5 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Agreed no excuses. I will admit I am pretty excited to see how Carr plays with an alpha bona-fide #1 guy like Adams. We were robbed of seeing Carr play with a talent like that a few years earlier due to ABs stupidity.  

Can we surround the B level QB with enough high end talent, and great coaching to get him to overcome some of the shortcomings he has shown in the past? We'll see. It worked for the Rams last year but they've been amongst the most talented teams for years.

I am excited to see how the new connection works as well. It is exciting. 

1 hour ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Defense was just as beat up tho goes both ways

The difference is all those games Carr doesn’t get much credit for he was still facing mostly starters.

The defense, which “carried us” was the ones getting all the breaks facing backup QBs. 

1 hour ago, NickButera said:

0% chance that happens with McDaniels at the helm and Adams. Which just means he's going to be better this year stat wise. 

We'll see. The trade yesterday certainly has me excited.

While we have great weapons in the pass game, I don't really expect us to just turn into some finesse pass happy team. McDaniels has shown to be a highly adaptive playcaller. Some weeks the Pats would have a pass heavy approach, and the next they are only throwing the ball 3 total times in a late season cold weather game. Adjusting your gameplan to exploit your opponent's weaknesses but also recognizing your own teams weaknesses. If Carr is struggling in cold weather games that's where a playcaller like McDaniels should be a great help alleviating some of the late season dip offs we've seen from Carr in the past. Gruden was/is a good offensive coach but I am overjoyed to not have to watch his stubborn ego driven offensive aagain.

11 minutes ago, true2form said:

The difference is all those games Carr doesn’t get much credit for he was still facing mostly starters.

The defense, which “carried us” was the ones getting all the breaks facing backup QBs. 

Defense definitely got some breaks last year facing lesser QBs, but the fact is we really couldn't score much over the last half of the season. Add in the fact that Carr was also tied for 2nd in league for total turnovers for a QB last year. Luck and the defense putting together a few solid weeks of good play was the main driving force in our playoff birth. 

15 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Defense definitely got some breaks last year facing lesser QBs, but the fact is we really couldn't score much over the last half of the season. Add in the fact that Carr was also tied for 2nd in league for total turnovers for a QB last year. Luck and the defense putting together a few solid weeks of good play was the main driving force in our playoff birth. 

Man this absolutely ignores the attrition from the offensive personnel. Also, I don’t buy it being luck. The team did it. Give them the credit where it is deserved. I agree that Carr has to be better when it comes to fumbles, but to act like those game winning drives are all luck is a little bit disingenuous. That team won their way to the playoffs and saying anything other than that kind of discredits the hard work they put in to get there after a season full of madness. 

7 minutes ago, FloydFan said:

Man this absolutely ignores the attrition from the offensive personnel. Also, I don’t buy it being luck. The team did it. Give them the credit where it is deserved. I agree that Carr has to be better when it comes to fumbles, but to act like those game winning drives are all luck is a little bit disingenuous. That team won their way to the playoffs and saying anything other than that kind of discredits the hard work they put in to get there after a season full of madness. 

I give Carr credit for being the emotional leader of the team and doing a great job of keeping that team together for all the madness they endured last year. But my point was that his play wasn't the main rdriving force for our playoff run. He in my opinion has never elevated his play when needed the most. 

But anyways I'm excited for this next season and I hope to see the best Carr yet in year 9. 

• Like 1