The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

If we had a 3 pt lead at half, came out received the ball at our 5 after the half. 
and Carr lead a 30 minute game killing 0 point drive.. 

I’m convinced people would say it was an incredible job by the D letting up 0 points while our O couldn’t score.

that is how silly this topic has become imo. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

I can see the logic here, for me it’s difficult as I’ve ‘enjoyed’ the Schroeder era, the Jeff George era, the Kerry Collins era, the Jamarcus era and so many more. Sometimes you’re just glad to have a decent to good franchise QB 😂

The thing is, I actually think Carr can win a Super Bowl with a good supporting cast, not all agree and I appreciate that, but to me Carr has been the least of our issues. I think Carr is a good QB and IMO once you have one of those it’s easier to build a good team than it is to upgrade to an elite top 5 QB. It’s a fair argument to think of trying to get an elite guy though and be prepared to miss a lot.

I agree with most of this.

Carr is on the level of Jeff Hostetler IMO. Good QB but wasn't elite. Hoss won a SB with the Giants before he came to the Raiders. He had a great team around him and elite coaching. Carr would need the same to win a SB himself. The salary cap era and the rule changes won't allow that to happen.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Steins Gate said:

I agree with most of this.

Carr is on the level of Jeff Hostetler IMO. Good QB but wasn't elite. Hoss won a SB with the Giants before he came to the Raiders. He had a great team around him and elite coaching. Carr would need the same to win a SB himself. The salary cap era and the rule changes won't allow that to happen.

This is a fair post, I can see your reasoning. Hostetler is not a bad comparison really, except for the awesome moustache 😄

I think if we’d have had FF Forum drafting since Carr was drafted we’d have won a Lombardi by now. Just go back and look at the players the Forum wanted throughout the draft. Our problem has been drafting and free agents, not Carr I my humble opinion.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Darbsk said:

How many big shots? More than one for sure 😄😄 If you have a TE that takes a big shot once in a game then will not catch anything thrown directly at him I suggest you cut him, not pay him $17 million as he hasn’t got the heart for it.

I played rugby at a high level before a couple years of football at an admittedly very amateur level. Give me 17 mil and I’d take those shots all day, every day for that type of money 😂 by the way, the hit wasn’t even particularly big on that play.

I understand what you’re saying and in a perfect world the ball is low and he can take it whilst dropping down, but the pass is more than good enough. If it’s that much of an issue, start a poll and see if people think the pass is good enough for him to catch I suggest. The TE simply has to catch that if you want to win games. I don’t know why we’re rehashing all this. It should have been a catch at the time, it still should be. The QB throws a perfectly catchable, good ball. Could it be slightly better? Yes, but it’s 100% good enough.

Not right after the first big shot.  If you slow down the tape you can see Waller reacting to the defender before the ball gets there.  I agree he needs to make the catch but I do not blame him for trying to protect himself.  I am defending Waller on this one play but remember I was the one saying we should trade him in the offseason.

3 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

This is a fair post, I can see your reasoning. Hostetler is not a bad comparison really, except for the awesome moustache 😄

I think if we’d have had FF Forum drafting since Carr was drafted we’d have won a Lombardi by now. Just go back and look at the players the Forum wanted throughout the draft. Our problem has been drafting and free agents, not Carr I my humble opinion.

I am not a Carr hater. He is not the main problem as you pointed out.

Would I like an upgrade to Carr? Yes.

Do I think it is practical to replace him with the unknown? No.

3 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Not right after the first big shot.  If you slow down the tape you can see Waller reacting to the defender before the ball gets there.  I agree he needs to make the catch but I do not blame him for trying to protect himself.  I am defending Waller on this one play but remember I was the one saying we should trade him in the offseason.

Waller caught the first ball? He got up, and to me looked like he said keep ‘em coming. 
if he didn’t want to be hit, I wish he had said put foster in. 
like he has done the last 2 games. 

3 hours ago, Steins Gate said:

I am not a Carr hater. He is not the main problem as you pointed out.

Would I like an upgrade to Carr? Yes.

Do I think it is practical to replace him with the unknown? No.

And I think you’re a knowledgeable fan. 
would I love Mahommes on this team yes.

would I trade everything to move into position to draft a qb no,

give me a mid level D. (By drafting D early) and let’s see. 

I’ve been screaming D in the first (and heavy throughout) for years. And we draft Cle and some point to that as are we did D draft lol. 

it’s easier to go from a bottom 10 D to respectable than it is for a rookie qb to go from top 5-7 to top 1-3

27 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

And I think you’re a knowledgeable fan. 
would I love Mahommes on this team yes.

would I trade everything to move into position to draft a qb no,

give me a mid level D. (By drafting D early) and let’s see. 

I’ve been screaming D in the first (and heavy throughout) for years. And we draft Cle and some point to that as are we did D draft lol. 

it’s easier to go from a bottom 10 D to respectable than it is for a rookie qb to go from top 5-7 to top 1-3

A middle of the road defense would do wonders for the win/loss record. Probably not going to happen this season though. If the 2023 draft goes well and defense is the focus, then the Raiders will be good for the next 4 years.

Don't get me started on Cle..... It would've been nice to have Josh Allen and Maxx racing to the QB on passing downs.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BackinBlack said:

Waller caught the first ball? He got up, and to me looked like he said keep ‘em coming. 
if he didn’t want to be hit, I wish he had said put foster in. 
like he has done the last 2 games. 

I do not know what was said but if you slow down the play you can see Waller reacting like he knows the LB is coming before the ball gets there. Receivers get alligator arms when they get thrown the ball high over the middle.  We can all have different opinions as to what should have happened but it is just human nature to try and get your arms back down as quickly as possible when you know a hit is coming.  Give somebody a good body shot and they will keep their arms down to protect their ribs even if it means exposing the head.

21 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

It is always a doom and gloom scenario when replacing Carr. When in reality teams have both regress and improved ditching their high priced starter. What’s the worst that can happen? Miss the playoffs? Start 2-4? 

Yes, it is possible to replace Carr with a cheaper and better option. You also NEVER mention that unloading Carr also adds additional starters + draft picks 

Seattle , Philadelphia and Kansas City are success stories

You're right, almost all of those teams are top 4 in scoring right now. Wait ...