The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I'd like to see us get more creative with our play calling in the red zone. Like that pick play we ran with Bryan Edwards against the Eagles last season. Moving Adams/Waller/Renfrow around to create mismatches. 

If carr would be willing to run it will open the rdz up tremendously 

On 10/7/2022 at 6:05 AM, NYRaider said:

The fact that we're 28th in the league in red zone offense with Darren Waller, Davante Adams, and Josh Jacobs is pretty sad. I mean we've changed coaches, had a number of talented WRs, and our red zone offense has still been mediocre. With the only constant being Carr at QB. 

And the stats here are skewed. You can see one of my previous comments in this thread to explain that

6 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

It takes an ounce of thought to understand why you can't live and die by them. Just pointing out the obvious. It's very easy to see this.

Over 9 seasons? Cmon man you’re reaching. When you see the same results over near decade, it falls on the player who been the one constant.

1 hour ago, bucksavage1 said:

Over 9 seasons? Cmon man you’re reaching. When you see the same results over near decade, it falls on the player who been the one constant.

Keep the goalposts in one spot.

We're talking about this season. Stay on topic or don't even bother responding.

• Like 1

On 10/7/2022 at 9:12 AM, NCOUGHMAN said:

If carr would be willing to run it will open the rdz up tremendously 

It is difficult for a QB to run in the red zone and especially for a QB that does not like contact.  Since 2017 Carr's runs happen for the most part only when the likelihood of taking contact is small.  He is not like a LJ who can make people miss or Allen who can take a hit.  I would like to see a bootleg where he can beat a LB or DE to the endzone but that is all I can see him doing in the red zone.

2 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

And the stats here are skewed. You can see one of my previous comments in this thread to explain that

I understand that it is not all on Carr but he deserves a lot of the blame.  He has missed throws just like his receivers have dropped throws.  There have even been plays where he missed the throw and it was dropped at the same time.  8 TDs in 18 trips is big deal.  The stats are skewed but he has also had scores that his teammates made it work.  My opinion is that Carr is still a bad QB in the red zone.

Edited by drfrey13

26 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I understand that it is not all on Carr but he deserves a lot of the blame.  He has missed throws just like his receivers have dropped throws.  There have even been plays where he missed the throw and it was dropped at the same time.  8 TDs in 18 trips is big deal.  The stats are skewed but he has also had scores that his teammates made it work.  My opinion is that Carr is still a bad QB in the red zone.

As long as we both understand the first line, that's all that matters and I don't disagree. I just merely pointed out that the simpleton line of thinking that they're using is very flawed. Carr deserves majority of the blame but not 100% of it and not even close

• Like 2

3 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

It is difficult for a QB to run in the red zone and especially for a QB that does not like contact.  Since 2017 Carr's runs happen for the most part only when the likelihood of taking contact is small.  He is not like a LJ who can make people miss or Allen who can take a hit.  I would like to see a bootleg where he can beat a LB or DE to the endzone but that is all I can see him doing in the red zone.

Talking about more oft script runs where situations present themselves not designed carr runs

but I always wondered why gruden never called a old skoo Gannon bootleg for carr

6 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Talking about more oft script runs where situations present themselves not designed carr runs

but I always wondered why gruden never called a old skoo Gannon bootleg for carr

He did it sometimes but when it was not there Carr would throw it away.  Carr has not shown the ability to manipulate defenders in those situations.  When he drifts towards the sideline he does so while being parallel or going backwards away from the defenders.  He needs to eat up positive ground and force the defender to decide.  Now this is not 100% of the time but this seems to be the norm when I watch him.  It is him being conservative but most of us agree he looks much better being aggressive.

35 minutes ago, Geezy said:

I’m surprised the other guys have that many combined 

Bortles wound up retiring with a 103/75 ratio and had some pretty decent statistical years from 2015-2017. 

Jacksonville had little talent, and I'm still shocked Bortles never really gained any traction afterwards. 

Teddy accumulated some numbers along the way as he's bounced around. 

Manziel hardly did anything. 

I'm with you, I'm a bit surprised that they combined for as many. Equally surprised that the guy who got the vast majority of those numbers attempted all of 2 passes in the last 4 years and just bounced around practice squads. Guess Jacksonville really broke the poor guy