Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
RpMc

6.203 - MIN: Blake Brandel T/Oregon State

Recommended Posts

Just now, whitehops said:

haha no worries, i feel a bit loopy too, all i've had is a half bag of chips.

 

big props to you for running the draft on here, trying to keep up with Rick and all his pick-trading and pick-hoarding shenanigans. 

He's made it a very interesting draft - thank god for my work computer; being able to have multiple screens is a godsend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A bit surprising since we took Udoh last season and he looked solid in the preseason.

and we kept Rashod Hill too

Strange.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

A bit surprising since we took Udoh last season and he looked solid in the preseason.

and we kept Rashod Hill too

Strange.

You are giving too much thought to a 6th round pick

Hopefully he can play guard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

My guess is the guy moves to guard.  Clearly can move people, does well blocking in space and has some athletic ability for a very big dude.  OG for him no doubt, they got a plan here.  I did not know much about him at all going into this but looks pretty solid.  Athletic O-lineman who can handle themselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

A bit surprising since we took Udoh last season and he looked solid in the preseason.

and we kept Rashod Hill too

Strange.

yeah, the extra roster spots this season really helps in situations like this. i feel like we have more offensive tackles than we do interior lineman. 

 

next season we were only slated to have O'Neill and Udoh as our tackles (assuming reiff gets cut), with the extra roster spots it allows more room to have developmental tackles this season without sacrificing someone who is a little more battle-tested (like Rashod Hill/Aviante Collins) as a swing tackle. that said, Brandel might switch to OG anyways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone compared the pick to Austin Shepherd, another tackle with great success as a pass blocker in college, whose game didn’t translate to the NFL in part due to limited athleticism.

Hopefully he moves to guard and gets a chance to compete at LG. Would be nice to have a competent pass blocking LG for the first time in forever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he makes the final the final roster, he will be mainly depth.  Doubt he'll ever be a consistent starter...even at guard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s a highlight tape, but things that I saw that I like and will transition well to guard. 
 

1. Climbs well to the second level in zone scheme

2. Active eyes to identify second level threats and handle twists/stunts 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RpMc said:

It’s a highlight tape, but things that I saw that I like and will transition well to guard. 
 

1. Climbs well to the second level in zone scheme

2. Active eyes to identify second level threats and handle twists/stunts 

He’s going to be a solid practice squad candidate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking back on this move, it is very curious why they passed on Prince Tega Wanogho.  I was shocked for such a good athlete to drop this far, maybe it was his medical stuff or an injury history.  Or maybe Brandel can switch to OG and I think he will and honestly I doubt Prince could make that switch.  Sure the OT spot is stacked as well but it is curious.  Also they could have got Muti the round previous as well if they did not want another OT.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Looking back on this move, it is very curious why they passed on Prince Tega Wanogho.  I was shocked for such a good athlete to drop this far, maybe it was his medical stuff or an injury history.  Or maybe Brandel can switch to OG and I think he will and honestly I doubt Prince could make that switch.  Sure the OT spot is stacked as well but it is curious.  Also they could have got Muti the round previous as well if they did not want another OT.  

They basically never draft players with injury red flags. Sometimes that leads to them missing out on a good player (taking Jalyn Holmes over Maurice Hurst might be the best example), but most of the players who fall in the draft due to injury don't pan out in the NFL. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Krauser said:

They basically never draft players with injury red flags. Sometimes that leads to them missing out on a good player (taking Jalyn Holmes over Maurice Hurst might be the best example), but most of the players who fall in the draft due to injury don't pan out in the NFL. 

Jaylon Smith much?  I don't have a full list but there are tons of times where injured players totally round back into form in the NFL.  Sadly for Tyler Biadasz and Trey Adams especially, apparently their injuries hurt them absolutely.  Both I feel were 1st round prospects before the season or at times throughout their college careers.  Will see if either one of them can do something, but sure injuries is a big red flag for Muti no doubt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Jaylon Smith much?  I don't have a full list but there are tons of times where injured players totally round back into form in the NFL. 

There are exceptions, but that’s not the rule. Most don’t.

The Vikings were never going to use a 1st round pick on a LB in 2016 anyway, unlike drafting Holmes to be a pass rushing DT when Hurst was still on the board.

The point is just that they have a consistent pattern so it’s not a surprise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Krauser said:

There are exceptions, but that’s not the rule. Most don’t.

Most don't. That is true.

Also true is that most without injury concerns also do not.

I don't have a problem with the Vikings avoiding the risk as long as they do so with full knowledge that they are also missing out on the potential reward. I am pretty sure they are aware.

Sometimes it is better to take a guy that has a 10% chance of being a star, 10% chance of being a quality starter, and 80% chance of being a bust than taking a guy that only has a 60% chance of never helping at all but also only have a 5% chance of being a quality starter.

I am fine letting other teams take that risk. It does mean missing out on some Jaylon Smith's but it also means missing out on some complete duds. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×