Predict the Final 53: The Far Too Early Version

RpMc

3 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

I think Oli Udoh is a darkhorse for that LG spot; but that's just me I guess.

To me, he was more impressive in the week 17 Bears game than Samia; and it seems the Vikings have him penciled in the RG slot.

Udoh was good but I think his best chance of starting at guard is to beat out Samia at RG. I don't think they'll want to have 2 first-time starters next to Bradbury. 

52 minutes ago, Purplepride323 said:

Josh Kline’s salary was $5 mil last year and Reiff’s will be $13 mil this year. Now I think Reiff can be a solid option at LG but not worth it for $13 mil. Cutting him would free up $8 million. Hopefully he can take a pay cut but I don’t think he actually will. Best bet might be to keep him at LT for some time, and just signing Kline at $4 mil to hold down the LG position. 

I advocated for cutting Reiff at the start of the offseason. An extra $8 million doesn’t do much for us now unless there is a big FA pickup (only Clowney would qualify now) or trade in mind. And yes, I’d rather have Kline at $5m than Reiff at $13m for my starting LG. But we don’t know what we have in Cleveland and I doubt they would want to start Hill if Cleveland isn’t ready.

Edited by vikingsrule

Outside of Clarke and Davis; which UDFA's have a shot at the roster?

I think Jordan Fehr might have an outside shot and linebacker depending on how many they keep.  The kid was a productive college player and one of the better, lower level, colleges in the country, and he's an athletic freak.  He was #33 (#3 LB) on the Athletic's "freak list" with a 415 pound bench, a 4.45 40 yard dash, and a 40.5" vertical leap (at 6'3 230 pounds).

2 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Outside of Clarke and Davis; which UDFA's have a shot at the roster?

I think Jordan Fehr might have an outside shot and linebacker depending on how many they keep.  The kid was a productive college player and one of the better, lower level, colleges in the country, and he's an athletic freak.  He was #33 (#3 LB) on the Athletic's "freak list" with a 415 pound bench, a 4.45 40 yard dash, and a 40.5" vertical leap (at 6'3 230 pounds).

I like Myles Dorn. Saw the game against Bryan Edwards and South Carolina and he did pretty well. I don’t think Bryan Edwards had any big plays that game. He was usually a beast through the middle last season. Myles Dorn has a good shot at filling in the back-up free safety role. His only knocks are speed (which was clocked at 4.52, not bad) and he occasionally bites on play action (which can be fixed with good coaching). Also he had a couple injuries a few years ago, and since teams weren’t able to get a lot of medical reports this year, I think that’s why he fell out of the draft. Might be a blessing in disguise for us. 

If they can sign Kline for about $2-3M to play LG, its an absolute no brainier.
If Esra wins the LT position, then you can cut Reiff and save $10-11M on the cap, which could either be consume this year (unlikely), or carried to next year (big benefit).
At worse case, having Kline, also puts you in a better negotiating position, if you approach Reiff down the line and ask him to reduce his salary.

If Reiff is going to average at LG, I'd rather pay Kline 1/4 of Reiffs salary to be average at LG.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

A 4.52 40 is 65% percentile for safeties. So it's pretty good speed in comparison to his peers.

Yeah Harrison Smith ran a 4.54 and he worked out just fine for us his whole career. Every time I see a scout say a player doesn’t have good speed I take it with a grain of salt. 9 times out of 10 they get faster with NFL training and/or are fast enough to be successful.

5 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

If they can sign Kline for about $2-3M to play LG, its an absolute no brainier.
If Esra wins the LT position, then you can cut Reiff and save $10-11M on the cap, which could either be consume this year (unlikely), or carried to next year (big benefit).
At worse case, having Kline, also puts you in a better negotiating position, if you approach Reiff down the line and ask him to reduce his salary.

If Reiff is going to average at LG, I'd rather pay Kline 1/4 of Reiffs salary to be average at LG.

Yeah that’s what I was saying, but I think it all depends on Cleveland and whether the coaches think he’s ready to start at LT. If not, then we gotta keep Reiff at LT and hopefully bring Kline back to play LG. Heard some concerns about his injuries but he looked fine against the 49ers so I don’t think it’s a big deal. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Purplepride323 said:

His only knocks are speed (which was clocked at 4.52, not bad)

Where did you find a 40 time for Dorn? He was a combine snub and I can't find anything about him doing a pro day. NFL draft scout doesn't list anything. 

5 minutes ago, Purplepride323 said:

That’s not an actual time that’s been recorded. It’s just a range they “expect or predict”

Dorn doesn’t have an actual recorded time from the lead up to the draft. He was a 4.7 kid coming out of HS so it’s reasonable to expect that to improve by a tenth or so. 

10 minutes ago, RpMc said:

That’s not an actual time that’s been recorded. It’s just a range they “expect or predict”

Dorn doesn’t have an actual recorded time from the lead up to the draft. He was a 4.7 kid coming out of HS so it’s reasonable to expect that to improve by a tenth or so. 

I think it might be what he ran going into college. I mean nonetheless he doesn’t look like Robert Blanton. He’s not the fastest guy but he’s not slow either. He looks about as fast as Harrison Smith imo. 

Edited by Purplepride323

On 4/27/2020 at 2:17 PM, vikingsrule said:

I agree, but I don’t think we need to decide between the two. Johnson is still miles ahead of Holmes and Hercules. Now could they emerge, maybe. I think Lynch was drafted to essentially replace both Hercules and Holmes.

I agree Lynch is a blend of both. Holmes and Hercules really haven't flashed at all. Hercules was still too small and was getting bullied which made him inactive the 2nd half of the year. Holmes honestly might not be a disruptive 3tech but instead more of a Shamar type who just clogs up the middle. Hercules is bigger this offseason hopefully he can hold up better and retain his quickness. Holmes, it's year 3 maybe the light comes on.