Lions Still Sitting On $30 Million In Cap Space

Just Want A Title

4 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

Id do Clowney or trade for Jones with that kind of cap space. I also wont rule out Daniels on a much cheaper contract. Id even kick around Logan Ryan, depending on their thoughts on Coleman. Trufant is new to the system while Okudah is a rookie. At least theres scheme fit and familiarity. 

I think Coleman should be on this team. 

10 hours ago, Millenhater said:

What do you think about exploring a trade for Corey Davis?  I’d have to check how many years he has left but maybe we can flip a mid round pick and get our WR 2 of the future and let him conribute now.  

I am still on the Corey Davis bandwagon. I think he is being wasted in that Tennessee scheme and AJ Brown and Adam Humphries have bigger roles in that offense.

30 minutes ago, BZski said:

I am still on the Corey Davis bandwagon. I think he is being wasted in that Tennessee scheme and AJ Brown and Adam Humphries have bigger roles in that offense.

I'm not opposed to us making a trade with a 5th or a 6th for a guy like Davis. Danny and Marvin have very murky futures beyond this year. We should be looking to add talent at that position however we can. 

26 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

There are a number of players that could help the Lions pass rush. 

Clowney is at an age where he’s likely looking for term where someone like Griffen may look at two years. He would be my preferred choice.

You are probably right but he also is coming off a down year and not getting the offers he was hoping for.  Might make sense for him to sign a 1 year 18/19 M deal and see if he can turn it into more.  This would give us a solid pass rush this year and not hurt us long term and offer him a chance to bounce back.  

11 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

You are probably right but he also is coming off a down year and not getting the offers he was hoping for.  Might make sense for him to sign a 1 year 18/19 M deal and see if he can turn it into more.  This would give us a solid pass rush this year and not hurt us long term and offer him a chance to bounce back.  

And if he signs with us then leaves next year, we likely wind up with a 2022 3rd round comp pick. 

It also means that we have flexibility with a guy like Julian Okwara. We don't HAVE to rely on a rookie 3rd round pick as a key starter but can package him in different spots. 

48 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

And if he signs with us then leaves next year, we likely wind up with a 2022 3rd round comp pick. 

It also means that we have flexibility with a guy like Julian Okwara. We don't HAVE to rely on a rookie 3rd round pick as a key starter but can package him in different spots. 

Yup. Chess, not checkers, Quinn.

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I would like either as long as the deal is short term. 

• Like 1

Just for fun, here is Chris Jones' positional breakdown

DL

DT - 371 snaps

Leo - 42 snaps

RE - 86 snaps

Reo - 37 snaps

NT - 23 snaps

Clowney

Leo - 229 Snaps

Reo - 200 Snaps

LOLB - 90 Snaps

ROLB - 35 Snaps

Jones seems to offer up a little more versatility although he is principally a DT. 

39 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

DL

DT - 371 snaps

Leo - 42 snaps

RE - 86 snaps

Reo - 37 snaps

NT - 23 snaps

Clowney

Leo - 229 Snaps

Reo - 200 Snaps

LOLB - 90 Snaps

ROLB - 35 Snaps

Jones seems to offer up a little more versatility although he is principally a DT. 

He also would cost significant draft capital.  I would for sure prefer Jones, I just dont want to give the contract and picks when we can just give the contract. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

DL

DT - 371 snaps

Leo - 42 snaps

RE - 86 snaps

Reo - 37 snaps

NT - 23 snaps

Clowney

Leo - 229 Snaps

Reo - 200 Snaps

LOLB - 90 Snaps

ROLB - 35 Snaps

Jones is the far superior player no doubt. He would also cost a 1st and probably become one of the top 3 highest paid defensive players in NFL history.

55 minutes ago, Millenhater said:

Jones is the far superior player no doubt. He would also cost a 1st and probably become one of the top 3 highest paid defensive players in NFL history.

The Chiefs are in desperate need of cap relief. Even if he did cost a 1st, you're getting one of the top defensive players in the league at a young age at a key position on the defense. 

If it's a "Khalil Mack" type trade, I would bypass it. If you're looking at at a 2021 1st and a little bit (maybe a 4th), it's something I would absolutely consider and probably move forward with. 

• Like 2

Jameis Winston to make $1.1M with potential to earn up to $3.4M as Brees' back up. 

Honestly, I would much prefer to have Jameis as the back up than Chase Daniels at that cost. I hope that we never have to see him on the field but Jameis has a lot more W's under his belt than Daniels does. 

27 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Jameis Winston to make $1.1M with potential to earn up to $3.4M as Brees' back up. 

Honestly, I would much prefer to have Jameis as the back up than Chase Daniels at that cost. I hope that we never have to see him on the field but Jameis has a lot more W's under his belt than Daniels does. 

I personally dont want a TO maching as my backup QB. 

Daniel's wouldn't turn the ball over nearly as much.

I personally would like to see if Rosen is available.