2021 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

2 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

I don't hate it, but I sure wish OT could be scrapped. I hate not taking LBs until day 3 when they're constantly a need for us. 

With this draft, who do you bring in via FA, assuming your cut predictions go through?

Scrap the OT, and add in a LB and it’s looking good. Don’t forget we have additional picks for Bowden, Sharpe, And Eddy P

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ronjon1990 said:

I don't hate it, but I sure wish OT could be scrapped. I hate not taking LBs until day 3 when they're constantly a need for us. 

With this draft, who do you bring in via FA, assuming your cut predictions go through?

My main targets in free agency would be Matt Judon, Justin Simmons, De'Vondre Campbell, Adoree Jackson, and Brandon Scherff. 

6 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Scrap the OT, and add in a LB and it’s looking good. Don’t forget we have additional picks for Bowden, Sharpe, And Eddy P

I think OT is a nice value pick in the second round. Even if we bring back Trent Brown we've seen him miss a ton of time during his stint here and having a high end backup behind him ensures that we can maintain an elite OL even if he's out. Plus he could also just potentially replace Brown in 2021 and we'd save $14M or replace him in 2022 and we'd save $15M. 

We need depth at LB for sure but the second round is too rich for me. Kwit has looked awesome in limited action this year and Littleton just had his best game of the season against the Bills. I think those two will play even better if/when we replace Guenther with an actually competent defensive coordinator. I'd like to see us resign McMillian and if we could sign a free agent like De'Vondre Campbell, I'd actually like our LB group. Plus we have still might have something in Muse/White, we just have to wait and see. 

Against the Bills Littleton played 60 snaps (97%), Kwit played 53 snaps (87%) while Morrow only played 11 snaps (18%), and McMillian played 1 snap (2%). And Joyner played 49 snaps (80%). 

The biggest issues with our defense are our DL and Harris starting at FS. 

At the end of the day.... it doesn’t matter who we keep, cut, draft, and sign if we have a poor Scheme/Coaching.

Guenther AND Marinelli and the rest of the defensive staff (maybe excluding Jim O’Neil) need to go and we need to bring I. a young DC who can get the best out of what we have and run new, hybrid schemes instead of the old archaic used up schemes we have.  For all the praise Marinelli got coming in what has he done?  There’s a reason he was let go from Dallas,  he’s holding on based upon the past.  Guenther has really never accomplished much so he’s not even washed up.  When will we finally see the double a-gap blitzes?  Sure we run the occasional stunt and twist but when was the last time we confused a defense?  When was the last time our defensive scheme actually attacked and didn’t just sit back and try not to get beat too bad?

We need to bring in a young collegiate DC like Jimmy Lake of Washington or Brent Venerables of Clemson or Dave Aranda it LSU.  We need new defensive minds that aren’t stuck in the past with schemes that were figured out 10 years ago.  We need a DC and staff whose young and can adapt to the players skills and not old Washed up coaches who can’t adapt at all and run the same defense they’ve always run.

The only players on defense worth retaining are:

DL: Ferrell, Crosby, Key, Hurst, Hankins (UFA) and Nassib (due to his dead cap)

LB: Littleton, Kwiatkoski, Muse

CB: Mullen, Arnette, Johnson, Robertson, Nixon, and maybe Lawson (UFA-if cheap)

S: Abram

That means we need 1-2 DE, 2 DT, 2-3 LB, 1 CB, and 3 Safeties.

DT, FS are the two biggest needs and we need to sign a good FA for one and draft the other in the first round.   The rest we can fill out in the rest of the draft and FA.... it’s really too wide open to even think about how it’ll play out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Way too early 2021 NFL Mock draft. 

Round 1: Christian Barmore | DT | Alabama

Round 2: Daniel Faalele | OT | Minnesota 

Round 3: Andre Cisco | S | Syracuse 

Round 4: Corey Durden | DT | Florida State

Round 5: Trey Sermon | RB | Ohio State

Round 6: Palaie Gaoteote | LB | USC 

Round 7: Charleston Rambo | WR | Oklahoma 

I hate being that guy but that’s an awfully optimistic Draft.  

Just now, jimkelly02 said:

For all the praise Marinelli got coming in what has he done?  There’s a reason he was let go from Dallas,  he’s holding on based upon the past. 

He was let go from Dallas because they fired Jason Garrett and Mike McCarthy brought in his own staff. Over the last 3 seasons they ranked in the top 13 in scoring defense and yards allowed each year. 

55 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

There's still a long way to go to determine his role with the team going forward. 

Even if he plays every game here on forward, I personally wouldn’t keep a guy who plays 12 games a year max. Trippin if you think 2021 would be any different. 

28 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He was let go from Dallas because they fired Jason Garrett and Mike McCarthy brought in his own staff. Over the last 3 seasons they ranked in the top 13 in scoring defense and yards allowed each year. 

I’m aware of why he was let go.... but he’s not the answer long term... at best he’s a stop gap / interm DC.  
His biggest problem, dating back to Dallas, has been his defense centers around the 3Tech and he’s always failing to acquire that player.  
https://www.google.com/amp/s/thelandryhat.com/2020/08/21/dallas-cowboys-trysten-hill-cringe-worthy-video/amp/

Collins is a joke.... total bust of a DT.  Marinelli brought in “his guys” and it’s been a waste so far.  There’s nothing about his scheme that excites me.  The DL is playing worse than last year.

I don’t understand why we don’t overpay to get a top DC.... if there’s 9M for Carl Nassib we can afford to pay any of those young DCs beyond top pay rate (2.5-3.0M):

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fanbuzz.com/college-football/sec/auburn/kevin-steele-auburn-contract/amp/

When will we realize getting pressure from just the front 4 doesn’t work.  You don’t just line up the guys up and tell them to beat their blocker.  We need to attack and surprise the offense.   

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

A man can dream, lol. I used the Draft Network's rankings to determine where I selected guys. 

Yeah I figured you used a mock simulator or something.... their other horrible with the first two rounds but tend to get crazy in the later rounds.

Way too early mock offseason: 

Players signed to new contracts: 

Hankins, Good, Booker, Carrier, Lawson, Agholor, McMillen

cuts: MM, Gabe, Joyner, Williams

Free Agency:

WR Allen Robinson- I would throw huge money at him. Free agent WR class is loaded 

Edge- Matt Judon- Ravens tight on money, I like this move like NY Raider 

Jaquiski Tartt- might be hard to steal him. But would be amazing next to Abram 

Brandon Scherff- Seems like a Gruden guy. He leaves the mess of Washington to a state with better tax rates. 

John Ross- gives us another all world burner. You see how people crowd the box with Ruggs out. Ross could be a fun gadget guy for Gruden. Could be a cheap contract like Nelly

Josh Rosen- he failed as a franchise QB but I think he could develop into a top backup QB

LB- sign a Cheap vet LB with range for the sake of the depth of the unit. 

Draft 

1) Jaylen Twyman DT- really like this prospect for his interior pass rush 

2) Patrick Jones Edge- get an absolute weapon on defense. A creative defensive mind could use this athletic pass rusher all over the field on blitzes 

3) Jaylen Munford RT- as NYRaider said, Brown seems injury prone. Munford could be the long term RT but provide immediate depth. I think we can find a good RT in the 3rd 

4) NT- think we can find a nice NT in this range

4) LB or S- need more depth at either spot. Add BPA

2021 Raiders 

QB: DC, Rosen 

RB: Jacobs, Booker, Richard 

FB: Ingold 

WR: Arob, Nelly

WR: Edwards,  Ross 

Slot: Ruggs, Renfrow 
TE: Waller, Moreau, Carrier 

T: Miller, Brown, 3rd rounder, Parker

G: Scrieff, Richie, Good, Simpson