Everything Offseason Programs (OTA's and more)

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

They said they're expecting us to carry 4 TEs. Gruden wants to run a lot of 2-3 TE sets this season and all four guys have looked good in camp. They also said that Carrier is probably the best TE4 in the league plus an excellent special teams player. 

Carrier is a very underrated ST player and back to TE.  He definitely has a role on this team worthy of a roster spot.

when we talk about STers being worthy of a roster spot i feel people overvalue the WR+ SS + LB types and undervalue TE’s like Carrier who can play all ST units because they can cover/tackle BUT more importantly can block.  Despite being a jumbo WR in college who made the team as a UDFA (and subsequently left and returned) he’s become a very solid blocking TE.

Carrier has played 77 and 80% of all ST plays the last 2 years. That was the highest amount last year and 3rd highest in ‘18.  It seems like people undervalue exactly how many snaps he gets on STs.  It’s been 30-40 more than “ST Ace/leader” Kyle Wilber does each year.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CarrDe00.htm

Plus, if you want to run 3 TE sets often you really should carry 4 TEs.

and Carriers cap hit is only 1.85M.  Sure that’s not ideal for a 3rd/4th TE (preferably it’d be someone on a rookie deal or a veteran at league miminum) but when you combine his TE and ST value he’s worth it.

1 hour ago, agarcia34 said:

Love seeing him run stride by stride with Ruggs

It’s just one rep at practice.... but Ruggs has to get more physical.  He may have elite speed but if CBs can bump+grind on him like that he won’t be able to separate.

That play does show Arnette has sub 4.45 speed.  He did slow Ruggs down (legally) but he also ran step for steps with Ruggs as they excellerated.  Arnette showed a nice “extra gear” there and was able to accelerate near evenly with Ruggs.

Plus, it was nice to see him look back, time the jump perfectly, and high point catch it.  That’s not an easy task a lot of CBs give up deep passes because they slightly lose their balance and jump too early.  Arnette was near flawless there.

5 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

seems like Muse and Bowden are both looking raw. Wonder if we keep 6 Lbs and 4rbs as a result of these developments. 

well Bowden needs run blocking work which is to be expected for a QB/WR. also for someone converting to RB. he will be used as a RB/WR I'd assume

11 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

seems like Muse and Bowden are both looking raw. Wonder if we keep 6 Lbs and 4rbs as a result of these developments.

i think we should never have assumed both would make instant impacts.  

Talk of Muse starting (by many people) was crazy optimism IMO.  He’s a project and needs to be phased into the OLB position.  Start him on ST’s (and have him replace Wilber on the roster) and get him a few coverage LB packages.  Idk the exact scheme of Clemson but it seemed to be he was given free reign to “freestyle” for a lot of the time he came down into the box.  In the NFL he’s gonna have gap and coverage responsibilities he’ll need to learn.  It’s no surprise he’s off to a slow start.  We need to restrict his play initially and get him into situations where he can succeed, then slowly expand his role.

Bowden is in the same boat.  Get him in on specific packages early.  That’s it.  We can’t expect him to step into the field and dominate a new position.

I think we need to carry 4 RBs, although I see little reason for it to Booker, as he’s too similar to the other RBs, or Stanback/Rod Smith because there just not that good.  We’d have to sign someone else imo.  Maybe we wait til the cuts are announced or after week 1 so their salary isn’t guaranteed.

As for LB we really do need to carry 5-6 IMO.  Littleton, Kwiatkoski plus Morrow, 1-2 players not currently on the team, and Javin White as a STer.  Wilber shouldn’t make the team IMO, nor should Hager.  I’m slightly intrigued to keep Nick Usher on the PS.  I think we’ll only keep 5 simply because we’d be dL lucky to add 1 LB worthy of a roster spot let alone 2.  Ideally, we bring back Compton and add Kendricks/Mark Barron to give us 6.

Edited by jimkelly02
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Apparently Chad Johnson was the one who trained Arnette 

I’ve always thought that the Raiders should bring on more recently retired mentors, like Johnson, in an official capacity to train and develop the young guys.  Chad Johnson is quite a character but he knows how to train and the intricate details of the WR and CB positions.  Not to mention he’s a likeable guy, which does go a long way with young players.