Everything Offseason Programs (OTA's and more)

RaidersAreOne

41 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Arden Key has apparently been tearing it up in camp and has even gotten some first team reps with Ferrell sliding inside. If he can give us a consistent 4th pass rusher it should help our defense out a lot. 

We have been here with Key before. I hope he really do stick on. 

1 hour ago, dante9876 said:

He has the arm talent. I honestly think it's a mind thing. He dont think he can get it their accurately unless he floats it. 

Carr has always, even in College, been one to put a little air under the ball versus “drive the ball”/throw “ropes”.  It might now be he lacks the arm talent / ability but more so that’s how he naturally throws the ball, because he has demonstrated he can throw bullets 25+ yards downfield.

1 hour ago, dante9876 said:

We have been here with Key before. I hope he really do stick on. 

I know we’ve seen dozens of players hype us up and ultimately fizzle out over the years.  But I’m feeling like Key might actually stick and be productive.

I think some of the last failed players is due to changing coaching staffs so often.  They’re given up on too early or aren’t invested in by the new regime.

I also chalk some of it up to the idea that these players on the verge need to build momentum and some of that momentum is from those around them.  By that I mean Key isn’t going to get those immediate right off the line he beats the OLmen sacks like Mack can get.  But if he’s playing with good players alongside him it allows him to make more plays.  Most sacks are a group effort... the secondary has good coverage and the QB has to hold the ball longer or the other rushers restrict the QB from freely moving away from the DE... and thus he gets the sack.  We’ve been very poor across the defense for so long.  The developing players haven’t been given the proper help to make plays.

This little theory of mine i feel is proven by the fact that good defensives often have developing players, such as Key, become productive.  Just off the top of my head.... Shelby Harris made a few nice plays for us early in his career but didn’t stick.  He goes to Denver and had better talent around him and became a solid starter. Did he all of a sudden drastically improve? Or Did playing alongside Miller+Chubb and solid role players like Wolfe+Gotsis AND a good secondary Boost his chances of success?  Another example is Roy Robertson-Harris and Nick Williams in Chicago.  They came out essentially of no where to become very productive.  They didn’t make many of those impact plays without the help of the solid cast around them.

Far more “developmental” players make it on good defenses than poor ones for a reason.  If these developmental players had the elite traits to make plays on their own they wouldn’t be in this group.  Especially on the DLine it’s a group effort.  A lot of sacks, maybe even most dare I say, can have the “credit” given more so to a teammate who doesn’t appear on that stat sheet on that play then the player who gets credited with the sack.

If Key does progress AND the rest of the DL plays well we could see Key have success.  If we can put it together on defense AND Key continues to progress I could see him getting 5-7 sacks and playing like a borderline starter.

I won’t go into depth about it but I would like to also add that often players success is all about momentum.  The player gets one sack almost by “luck”... then another... and then their making plays on their own.  It’s like a self fulfilling prophecy.

12 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

Because you ain't been here that long and HB is his 3rd handle after being banned twice.

I’ve been here for years... went away and came back... I was on KFFL and Fansinblack back in the early 00s.  I wouldn’t consider myself Newbie by any means.

nonetheless.... your right I did miss a lot of the aforementioned drama.

my point is simply: we’re all on the same team and should let bygones be bygones.  Having clicks like in HS and going after select posters isn’t right.  HB isn’t a bad guy... might not be your cup of tea... but what’s gained from ostracizing him? 
I’m not attempting to tell you what to do or who to like... that’s not my place and I’d never do that.

I’m just pointing out my opinion that we should be respectful and kind to everyone.... something I don’t always do.

4 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Ferrell looks like a tank. Definitely see the transformation in his body from year 1 to now. Spin move look good as well

I think Ferrell’s going to prove he was worthy of his draft position this year.  I think he’s going to put up something like 50 tackles, 8 sacks (12 TFL), 8 PD, 38 pressures.

Crosby and Ferrell are going to be one heck of a DE duo.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

I think Ferrell’s going to prove he was worthy of his draft position this year.  I think he’s going to put up something like 50 tackles, 8 sacks (12 TFL), 8 PD, 38 pressures.

Crosby and Ferrell are going to be one heck of a DE duo.

its going be surprising to have a defense that is just flying around and athletic. I'm so use to washed up slow vets, or Ben Heenys of the world trying to make plays on defense. 

19 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

its going be surprising to have a defense that is just flying around and athletic. I'm so use to washed up slow vets, or Ben Heenys of the world trying to make plays on defense. 

And as I said earlIer today as the defense gets better the guys like Key should make more players as well... sacks and pressures are contagious 

i would really like to see us bring out blitz packages and hybrid alignments instead of the boring 4-3 bland defense.

3 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

And as I said earlIer today as the defense gets better the guys like Key should make more players as well... sacks and pressures are contagious 

i would really like to see us bring out blitz packages and hybrid alignments instead of the boring 4-3 bland defense.

Thats why I wanted Josh Allen last year, just to blitz him from all over.. But I'll eat crow about Ferrell, he's coming around and a leader. no beat reporters today?

58 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Thats why I wanted Josh Allen last year, just to blitz him from all over.. But I'll eat crow about Ferrell, he's coming around and a leader. no beat reporters today?

They canceled practice. Ferrell needs to have a big year to prove he was worth that #4 pick. 

33 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

They canceled practice. Ferrell needs to have a big year to prove he was worth that #4 pick. 

man Mitchell really surprised me, the new D Wade.... only series I'm surprised by in the 1st. I don't think Ferrell needs to be an all pro but he should be on the same level as guys like Williams, White, Allen etc.. I like to compare rookies and other players from the same class. For example, Deejay Dallas been tearing it up for the Seahawks and we passed on him for Bowden. I had mocked Dallas many times too, big electric runner. 

8 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

I’ve been here for years... went away and came back... I was on KFFL and Fansinblack back in the early 00s.  I wouldn’t consider myself Newbie by any means.

nonetheless.... your right I did miss a lot of the aforementioned drama.

my point is simply: we’re all on the same team and should let bygones be bygones.  Having clicks like in HS and going after select posters isn’t right.  HB isn’t a bad guy... might not be your cup of tea... but what’s gained from ostracizing him? 
I’m not attempting to tell you what to do or who to like... that’s not my place and I’d never do that.

I’m just pointing out my opinion that we should be respectful and kind to everyone.... something I don’t always do.

Maybe he shouldn't have made his smart *** comment.