Andy Dalton now a Cowboy

5x10

It is also really weird you would exclude his best statistical year & in turn his most recent year.

In fact, I believe before the season started you were anti paying Dak 25 Million. After the first three games you were all for 30 million + - I even commented on it.

So this is a perfect example of how stats lie. You had another poster literally posting stats recently about the first three quarters of a game, in order to manipulate the data to fit a random narrative. It is really strange, and forced.

6 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

All you can ever do when building a roster is give yourself the best possible chance to achieve success. Let's take Zeke for instance, you and I agree that the best RB in the league should not have been re-signed - why? Positional evaluation. I am adamant that you draft a 5th rounder each other year and run them into the ground and move on. That is because RB is one of the lowest starting positions for me from a roster evaluation. The best RB in the league can't do anything without a OL. The best RB can't do anything without pressure from pass-catchers, etc. The same cannot be said about QB. We ran a poll and everyone agreed QB was number 1 - and it wasn't even close.

Anytime you have a top 10 QB, you pay a premium for the best position in football. So in short, the answer to your question is yes.

It is being shown more and more often that the best way to build a roster is to have a QB on a rookie deal. Teams are clutching pearls right now. Soon you will see teams trying to break the trend by recycling QBs rather than award them market value. With only a handful of elite QBs being worthy to pay. Maybe not now, but soon we will see a shift in that tired philosophy. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DaBoys said:

It is being shown more and more often that the best way to build a roster is to have a QB on a rookie deal. Teams are clutching pearls right now. Soon you will see teams trying to break the trend by recycling QBs rather than award them market value. With only a handful of elite QBs being worthy to pay. Maybe not now, but soon we will see a shift in that tired philosophy. 

Rookie deals are the best deals - sure.

But in a league of constant turnover, you are not going to get me to buy into the belief that a GM, a HC, and the rest of the front office is going to look at the roster and be okay losing a premium player at the most important position, and bank on that sustained success.

The amount of teams with awful QBs that have won a SBer can be counted on 1 hand. Not impossible, but certainly puts you in a hole.

14 hours ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

It is also really weird you would exclude his best statistical year

I talked about 2016(his 2nd best year) and 2018 (maybe his worst year) Because those were the years we went to the playoffs with him. Something that people question Daltons ability to do. I pointed out that those playoff runs were near identical to Daltons career average. 

I said his 2019 year was tremendous, but we went 8-8. Can Dalton match those totals? He has had good years before but that’s not his average. It’s not really Daks average either though

Edited by DaBoys

Daks career passing yards per game: 246.5

Daltons: 237.5

Daks career passing TDs per game: 1.515

Daltons: 1.533

Daks career rushing yards per game: 19.1

Daltons: 9.2

Daks career rushing TDs per game: 0.3281

Daltons: 0.1654

Daks career completion percentage: 65.8%
Daltons: 62%

Daks career ANY/A:  6.92

Daltons: 6.06

Daks age: 27

Daltons: 32

Daks AAV: $35M

Daltons: $3M

• Like 2

Those stats aren’t cherry picked. They are all inclusive and slanted towards Dak as his career is 64 games and Daltons is 133 games. It’s harder to maintain averages over longer periods of time. Probably harder to play 9 seasons in Cincinnati than 4 in Dallas and put up the same numbers but we don’t have to get into that. The raw data says it all

9 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

There is a slight drop off to be certain. And Dalton throws way more picks, which absolutely needs to be accounted for. But idk if the drop is $30m a year bad

Question.

If Dalton leads us to the playoffs but we get bounced in the conference championship game because of his 2 interceptions - would saving the 30 million have been worth it?

6 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Question.

If Dalton leads us to the playoffs but we get bounced in the conference championship game because of his 2 interceptions - would saving the 30 million have been worth it?

We have one of the longest conference championship appearance droughts in the entire league. Your hypothetical is implying Dalton accomplishes something that no one has done since Troy Aikman. Obviously I would be pissed at the 2 picks, but we probably don’t make it there without that $30m being spent on talent elsewhere. 

It’s really hard for me to get mad at Dalton for hypothetically losing a CCG when Dak or Romo never made it that far.

a fair hypothetical is if we save $30m and go 6-10 would it be worth it? Probably not at that point 

16 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

We have one of the longest conference championship appearance droughts in the entire league. Your hypothetical is implying Dalton accomplishes something that no one has done since Troy Aikman. Obviously I would be pissed at the 2 picks, but we probably don’t make it there without that $30m being spent on talent elsewhere. 

It’s really hard for me to get mad at Dalton for hypothetically losing a CCG when Dak or Romo never made it that far.

a fair hypothetical is if we save $30m and go 6-10 would it be worth it? Probably not at that point 

Especially when we have seen both come up short in playoff games. 

18 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

I have humored your statistical rants. It's a simple question.
Does losing because of QB play impact your decision. Is 30 Million worth it?

25 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

I have humored your statistical rants. It's a simple question.
Does losing because of QB play impact your decision. Is 30 Million worth it?

My statistical rants? lol I posted career numbers. Obviously they don’t favor your stance so you have resorted to a crazy hypothetical that includes Dalton leading the team to a conference championship game for the first time in 25 years only to fall one game shy of a SB due to his errors. I promise you if we get to the NFCC game with Dalton as QB no one will be talking about paying Dak, unless we actually lose to him in the championship game.

If Dak at 30m went to the panthers and beat us in the championship then yes, the $30m would have been worth it.

if Dak is holding out and we go to the championship then no. The 30m won’t be a regret because we haven’t seen Dak even get there

Edited by DaBoys
  • Like 1