Can a Case be made for Keenum...?

vike daddy

17 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

i'm sure it has been mentioned before, but doesn't Bridgewater HAVE to play at some time, so he can be realistically evaluated as to his contract value for next year?

I think winning games takes precedent over player evaluation.

Just now, Worm Guts said:

I think winning games takes precedent over player evaluation.

Winning when it matters should be the ultimate consideration. Let's see how Keenum does if he remains the starter against good teams. MN beat Washington but nearly threw the game away. Rams will be a huge test to see where Keenum is at, but it certainly would be a prime opportunity for Teddy too. Might even give the team an extra motivational push to get Teddy out there. 

Just now, SemperFeist said:

Who says we can’t win with Bridgewater?

That's not the point.  The point is the decision should be made with sole regard to winning. I would give zero regard to evaluating Bridgewater for next season.  If we think playing Teddy wins us more games, he should play. If we don't then he shouldn't.

36 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

i'm sure it has been mentioned before, but doesn't Bridgewater HAVE to play at some time, so he can be realistically evaluated as to his contract value for next year?

Maybe, maybe not. They see him in practice every day. I'm sure they're doing plenty of evaluating.

25 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

what about his knee holding up to real game situations. no hittie the quarterbackie in practices....

To me, if there was any worry or concern about that at this point, Kyle Sloter would've been the active No. 2 yesterday. Bridgewater's being active tells me they aren't as worried about the knee as people might think.

I'm looking at the offseason...I hope the Vikes can keep Keenum around as a 2nd QB.  BUT, I suspect with the success he's been having, some crazy owner will give him starter money, and the Vikings will thank Keenum for his service and show him the door.  Bridgewater was and is the QBOF for this team.

7 minutes ago, Klomp said:

To me, if there was any worry or concern about that at this point, Kyle Sloter would've been the active No. 2 yesterday. Bridgewater's being active tells me they aren't as worried about the knee as people might think.

Having Bridgewater as the only other active QB yesterday says a lot about how the team feels regarding Bridgewater and where he’s at, both physically and mentally. 

22 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Keenum:  “I love it here. I love these guys. My wife and I love it here.”

Minnesota is very nice most of the year. They haven't been here in January and February yet.  Lets see what his wife is saying then. One harsh winter is enough to change many feelings about how much they love it here.

Bridgewater shouldn't have to earn the starting spot back he already did that, if he is healthy he should start.

Case has done a fantastic job coming in and backing up the starter like he was brought in here to do but I dont think he is the main reason for this win streak.

11 minutes ago, BWG VIKE said:

Bridgewater shouldn't have to earn the starting spot back he already did that, if he is healthy he should start.

Case has done a fantastic job coming in and backing up the starter like he was brought in here to do but I dont think he is the main reason for this win streak.

This to me is the biggest key. Everyone points to the fact we've won these games with Keenum, as if another QB wouldn't be winning in the same situation. He isn't going to be a Kurt Warner story of someone who turned into some HOF quarterback this late in his development. More likely he's a Brad Johnson or Trent Dilfer - A guy who could win one, but not someone you should be scared to bench.

9 minutes ago, BWG VIKE said:

I don't see anyone saying Bridgewater has to earn his spot back.  The Question is did Keenum do enough to earn that spot also.  It's not like we are talking about a Rodgers or Brady coming back from their injury.   We are talking about a Mid Tier QB coming back from injury to a team that is currently running with a mid tier QB and is winning with that QB.  Do you risk what we currently have and go with a QB that you hope can give you what you currently have.   

Archived