Can a Case be made for Keenum...?

vike daddy

2 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

I think the Vikings will have the cap space to resign Bridgewater and Keenum. ~11 mil in dead cap and 18 mil in Bradford come off of the books. They should have close to 60 mil going into free agency next year, and that should be enough to take care of Hunter, Barr, and Diggs. I think they will exercise the 5th year option on Trae, pushing him out another year. I think the Vikings are going to have more flexibility than we expect. I also think that both Bridgewater and Keenum would prefer to stay in MN and win the starting job.

I don't think Teddy will prefer to stay, once Minny gives Keenum a $20M contract (or tags him).

I also don't think Minny will want Teddy as the backup under those circumstances, clean break.

2 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

I think the Vikings will have the cap space to resign Bridgewater and Keenum. ~11 mil in dead cap and 18 mil in Bradford come off of the books. They should have close to 60 mil going into free agency next year, and that should be enough to take care of Hunter, Barr, and Diggs. I think they will exercise the 5th year option on Trae, pushing him out another year. I think the Vikings are going to have more flexibility than we expect. I also think that both Bridgewater and Keenum would prefer to stay in MN and win the starting job.

I don't think Teddy will prefer to stay, once Minny gives Keenum a $20M contract (or tags him).

I also don't think Minny will want Teddy as the backup under those circumstances, clean break.

How do you know that this is the case? You seem pretty darn sure that the QB decision is set in stone. I don't think that the Vikings see Keenum as the future of the position, and still have hope that Bridgewater will become what he was on his way to being pre injury.

13 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

do we have medical reports that state he's highly unlikely to play? my guess is no and that it's pure speculation. I'm sure NFL teams will question about this health, but they'll do more than just speculate.

if you had to guess, how much do you think Sam Bradford and Teddy Bridgewater make after this season? just guess..

I think the questions are about the long term stability of his rebuilt knee.  I'm sure teams will look into it, but I'm not sure they'll get a clear cut answer.

If I had guess, I'd say anywhere from 6-12 million.  We could probably afford 6 but not 12.  And of course I could be way off, it's pure guesswork from me.

Just now, JDBrocks said:

How do you know that this is the case? You seem pretty darn sure that the QB decision is set in stone. I don't think that the Vikings see Keenum as the future of the position, and still have hope that Bridgewater will become what he was on his way to being pre injury.

I keep having mixed thoughts on it. Zimmer and the team loves Teddy. You could tell Zimmer wanted to play Teddy, but Case just kept winning. Then I think about something you have for sure next year and that is a healthy Case and probably doing the same thing he has been doing this year. At the end of the day if they can come up with the Cap room, you sign both. Let the better QB have the job next season. Only way I see Case and Teddy signed is if there is something where all the guaranteed money is in the first year and you have a way out. That's a lot of money for a back-up to be invested in a QB if you sign Teddy to a 1 year prove it contract and he thrives as a starter and you look to lock him up long term the following year.

Case will command that $15-18 somewhere.

We could get a comp pick in 2019 for that right?

Just now, The Gnat said:

Definitely.

I mean, we'd have to sign a big free agent to make it balance out.

there is my point.

What does Rick, Zim, and Pat believe Case is worth?

If they truly believe in Teddy, can you make that gamble to maybe pick up a 3rd round comp pick, while saving maybe $18M in cap room and a chunk of that in cash?

Do you play it safe and sign both of them, while maybe having Case on the bench with a larger sized contract, but in Case of a Teddy re-injure you have that guy still there.

Big gamble that can pay out in the end either way.

20 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

I would be pretty surprised if Teddy decided to come back here IF we have already signed Case to a starting-caliber contract (which we will need to do if we want to keep him). 

Why would Teddy want to stay here on the hope that Case fails or gets hurt, when he could go to 5-6 other teams where he would (most likely) be the starter?

The only reason it would make sense (from their perspective) for both Bridgewater and Keenum to come back is if they believe they have an equal chance of being the starter. That would mean paying them roughly the same amount. While we might technically have the cap room to pay two QBs 15-20 million each next season, it would (in my opinion) be a really desperate and foolish thing to do. 

I don't think you can sign both. Why would Teddy return if Keenum is making $15m+ to start. Would there be any real competition. Teddy is damaged goods and lost his job to Keenum. Don't see The Vikes spending $35m+ at QB. 

I hope two teams offer Bradford and Teddy ridiculous contacts for the comp pick. Any other worthwhile free agents who could add to the comp pick formula? Michael Floyd? Shamar Stephen.

Sign Keenum. If Teddy can't find what he's looking for and is willing to be a backup, bring him back for $3-4M per year. Doubt that happens though.

2 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

I would be pretty surprised if Teddy decided to come back here IF we have already signed Case to a starting-caliber contract (which we will need to do if we want to keep him). 

Why would Teddy want to stay here on the hope that Case fails or gets hurt, when he could go to 5-6 other teams where he would (most likely) be the starter?

The only reason it would make sense (from their perspective) for both Bridgewater and Keenum to come back is if they believe they have an equal chance of being the starter. That would mean paying them roughly the same amount. While we might technically have the cap room to pay two QBs 15-20 million each next season, it would (in my opinion) be a really desperate and foolish thing to do. 

Yep, and Teddy will not be taking any sort of a paycut.

Only way to maybe convince him to take a lesser contract is a 1/2 year deal, around $10M/Yr all guaranteed along with knowing he has a fair deal to start.

$25M-28M locked up on a QB's is a lot of money for unknowns.

I've tended to fall along the following lines, which were sort of confirmed to me by Leber's conversation with Barreiro yesterday.  I think what happens with Case depends upon what happens with Shurmur.  I fully believe Case's performance is a product of Shurmur's (and to a lesser extent, Stefanski) handling of him.   Them 2 together struck lightning in a bottle and are a package deal, as far as I am concerned.  If Shurmur goes, Keenum goes.  If Shurmur stays, Keenum stays.  

2 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Sign Keenum. If Teddy can't find what he's looking for and is willing to be a backup, bring him back for $3-4M per year. Doubt that happens though.

Teddy will get $10M+ for the unknown of now, and how he was an improving QB before QB's are a dime a dozen and look what some of the junk has got in previous years that were unknown and lesser talents than Teddy. Teddy vs. Glennon, who are you putting money on being more successful in the future?

Can't see him getting any less that $8M and that is truly stretching it.

Free Agents I see may get us a comp pick

• McKinnon
  • Stephon
  • Johnson
  • Bradford
  • Bridgewater
  • Keenum

I think some here have some pretty optimistic expectations for Teddy in free agency this year.  Nobody is making him their franchise QB.  A few will give him the opportunity to compete.  Those teams will also probably be bad  or teams with 1st round rookies nipping at his heels.

3 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

I think some here have some pretty optimistic expectations for Teddy in free agency this year.  Nobody is making him their franchise QB.  A few will give him the opportunity to compete.  Those teams will also probably be bad  or teams with 1st round rookies nipping at his heels.

But that's the thing, there are plenty of QB needy teams out there who will have underdeveloped situations at QB, or no one worth shaking a stick at. There will be teams out there who are willing to pay Glennon money or more to get someone like Teddy, who has/had potential. If Teddy truly is looking for a starting job and money, the opportunity will be there for him. It's not like he is Kaepernick who has a lot of baggage with him. He has shown to be loved by his teammates, he has shown to be devoted to the game through his rehab, and he had previously shown continual growth. The injury risk is the only thing really holding him back, and there are going to be teams desperate enough to pay him to be their QB, bridge or otherwise.

4 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

Of course they will be. That's what you do when you sign an Unknown QB to a $10M contract.

You aren't signing Kirk Cousins, or Jimmy Garapolo where you are looking at them as franchise QB's and signing them to $23M+.

You are taking a chance and hoping you hit... if not you have the 1st round rookie. (Bears did it last year)

Archived