Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
hornbybrown

What’s the shelf life of our current stadium?

Recommended Posts

Title says it all.

 

I’m curious as to how long it’s thought it will be a NFL standard stadium and what’s the plan after it goes past it’s shelf life.

 

Jimmy can’t afford to pay for a new stadium himself with a net worth of 2.8 billion. So will the city front up and build a new stadium or at least contribute a large part of it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would be a shame if the need for a new stadium prompted new ownership. Wishful thinking. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember hearing something about it like 2 years ago that we had 10 years left on it. And that jimmy was interested in adding a retractible roof so he could hold year long events in it. I have no idea where I heard this though. Maybe an interview on the radio. But the city would absolutely have to pay for it. That’s just how it goes in stadium building. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I remember hearing something about it like 2 years ago that we had 10 years left on it. And that jimmy was interested in adding a retractible roof so he could hold year long events in it. I have no idea where I heard this though. Maybe an interview on the radio. But the city would absolutely have to pay for it. That’s just how it goes in stadium building. 

Any renovations/updates on the taxpayers dime HAVE to include a dome imo.  Why the stadium was built without one in the first place is beyond me.

It’s not more enjoyable to sit outside on a 30 something degree day with wind whipping in off the lake.  It’s just not.  
 

Even more importantly though is it does allow for the possibility of year round use by the city for revenue.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The newest Browns stadium will have a retractable roof. Other than the California and NYC stadiums, I think every new stadium has one.

Edited by candyman93

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Why the stadium was built without one in the first place is beyond me.

Because the stadium was rushed to be built. So it was ready for the 1999 season. It was a very bare bones stadium when it was built. Thought I read articles that Said the stadium would not have been finished in time if it had a roof. The cost of the stadium in today’s term would be less than $500m

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Because the stadium was rushed to be built. So it was ready for the 1999 season. It was a very bare bones stadium when it was built. Thought I read articles that Said the stadium would not have been finished in time if it had a roof. The cost of the stadium in today’s term would be less than $500m

Didn’t they build it with the possibility of a roof being added on in the future? I think I remember something about that. But IIRC jimmy had people in the stadium when he bought the team checking out that possibility. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Didn’t they build it with the possibility of a roof being added on in the future? I think I remember something about that. But IIRC jimmy had people in the stadium when he bought the team checking out that possibility. 

I don’t remember if was built with that in mind but I believe jimmy did have people come in inspect it to see if a roof could be added to it  and see if it be feasible. I would just want a new stadium

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wanna go in the opposite direction. Let's build the crappiest field of all-time and make teams HATE playing here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I wanna go in the opposite direction. Let's build the crappiest field of all-time and make teams HATE playing here.

We should go dig municipal stadium out of Lake Erie. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What happens in 2029 if there is no renovations or new stadium? Will the stadium be able to be used past that date if both parties agree but also what state will it be in by then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, hornbybrown said:

What happens in 2029 if there is no renovations or new stadium? Will the stadium be able to be used past that date if both parties agree but also what state will it be in by then?

I doubt they get to 2029 with nothing in place. I thought they said they wanted to have things figured out by 2025 if they want to build a new stadium or do a bunch of upgrades

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could the Cleveland tax payer afford to pend 2 billion on a stadium? This isnt dallas or LA'we are talking about. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×