Rams release New Uniforms

ttitansfan4life

1 hour ago, JonStark said:

Mainly because of the Nike partnership. I was listening to a Rams podcast that basically said the Rams and Falcons were the first two to completely revamp their primaries since the NFL and Nike came together, and somehow those are the only two that took the jerseys in a completely different way. I don't think it's outlandish to say that more teams will follow in the coming years.

That being said, they'll still probably look a little better than ours, but I really think that's because of the teams mindset of taking the team to the LA theme. I don't think all of the new additions are going to be limited to just the Rams. 

Yet there's been teams who went that route, got the deserved backlash, and went back to a much better look like TB, JAX, etc.

If every team was switching to that/the NFL was mandating it they wouldn't be allowing teams who made the switch to revert back.

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

Yet there's been teams who went that route, got the deserved backlash, and went back to a much better look like TB, JAX, etc.

If every team was switching to that/the NFL was mandating it they wouldn't be allowing teams who made the switch to revert back.

Fair point, I just don't see the NFL admitting defeat on this one. New and updated jerseys make them tons of money in merchandise whether anyone likes it or not. 

The Bucs slightly updated jerseys this year look better than the Rams revamped ones do IMO, but I bet you there will be tons more Rams ones being sold, even with the Brady factor. 

19 minutes ago, JonStark said:

Fair point, I just don't see the NFL admitting defeat on this one. New and updated jerseys make them tons of money in merchandise whether anyone likes it or not. 

The Bucs slightly updated jerseys this year look better than the Rams revamped ones do IMO, but I bet you there will be tons more Rams ones being sold, even with the Brady factor. 

You can change jerseys without going gradient.

Jaguars new jerseys aren't anything like they've ever had and yet their simple and I'm sure sold just as well as their crazier ones last time around.

Again, if this stuff was mandated by the NFL I don't think teams would be switching away from it after the minimum 4 years or whatever it is.

17 hours ago, Duluther said:

The problem with is you’re confusing going to traditional as the reason people like those changes (Bucs, Browns, etc). people didn’t like those changes specifically because they went back to tradition for tradition sake. The teams sure as hell didn’t go back because of some sense of tradition. The team went back because these “traditional uniforms” were popular in their time and have remained so since. Point in case: what if a team made a change for tradition that was general agreed to be aesthetically less pleasing? What if the Packers went to their throwbacks for new uniforms? The Broncos to their dirt and mustard? The Bears to their fairly iconic white C? Even more recent things like the Vikings and their Favre era uniforms? The majority would hate all of these even if they’re traditional, and in some cases iconic. The real reason the move back to traditional uniforms are made is because those uniforms were proven to be popular. If they weren’t popular, the move to said uniforms wouldn’t be made. 

Case in point: it’s not about tradition, it’s about what’s proven to be popular.

And the Rams went down their own path. They created a new uniform that included things of the exact opposite nature (gradients). And we don’t need to get into why you think it will look good on the Rams, we have already done that. And there are other things, too. These helmet admittedly look nice in marketing stills. But they have the same effect that Baylor and Louisville have that make viewers mock them as Christmas ornaments. Again, proven to be unpopular. 

The point is: the Rams are choosing to forgo what has been popular for what has been unpopular.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-xpm-1997-04-10-9704091422-story.html

This is an article from 1997 when the Bucs changed their uniforms. Some quotes that stick out:

"I like all of the new except the logo," said Sarah Tyler, an orange-clad fan from Brandon who has never missed a Bucs' home game in 21 seasons. "I just don't like the skull thing. But who knows, in my next 20 years I might change my mind.   Well Sarah, you have a crystal ball because 30 years later, people are raving about going back to these jerseys/logo. 

"While the players were unanimous in their approval of the first makeover in team history, some fans need some time to get used to the new duds."

Case in Point: When new things come out, they are met with resistance. 

Oh and another from the SI Vault. https://vault.si.com/vault/2000/08/28/1-tampa-bay-buccaneers-the-defense-is-championship-caliber-no-question-but-their-super-bowl-chances-are-riding-on-an-overhauled-offense

Maybe it was the style or the fit
or, perhaps, the unfamiliar colors, but once he was dressed in
his new uniform, McDaniel, who went to a record 11 consecutive
Pro Bowls as a Viking, walked over to the mirror and did a double
take. "I stood there for a second and stared because I just
couldn't picture myself in pewter," says McDaniel. "It doesn't
look right yet. But I suppose if we're fortunate enough to make
it to the Super Bowl, by then it will look great.
"

Point is: In the moment, the jerseys that teams were going back to weren't a hit. You win in that uniform and it becomes associated with success and fans will then embrace it. Rams fans are DYING for a white jersey with yellow n blue sleeves. Why? Because we won a SuperBowl wearing them. Rams win in these uniforms and fans will love them, but until then, I expect them to be met with resistance as we are seeing; both internally and especially externally.

Their 2019 jerseys were worse. They didnt know to have their secondary color be gold or white. And they were easily the worst jersey in NFL.

These are slightly better but still hideous and still the worst uniform in football 

20 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

You can change jerseys without going gradient.

Jaguars new jerseys aren't anything like they've ever had and yet their simple and I'm sure sold just as well as their crazier ones last time around.

Again, if this stuff was mandated by the NFL I don't think teams would be switching away from it after the minimum 4 years or whatever it is.

Why not? A new jersey every 4 years forces fans to update their closet, making them more money.

I don't think this level of change is mandated. The Rams went with an entire re-branding which doesn't happen a lot, but the NFL seems to want to move towards a more modern look. I think it's wishful thinking to believe that some teams will be able to avoid it all together. 

15 minutes ago, JonStark said:

Why not? A new jersey every 4 years forces fans to update their closet, making them more money.

I don't think this level of change is mandated. The Rams went with an entire re-branding which doesn't happen a lot, but the NFL seems to want to move towards a more modern look. I think it's wishful thinking to believe that some teams will be able to avoid it all together. 

Because people love vintage/clean looks, as you can see in this thread or the perception of the Rams and Falcons jerseys since coming out.

Can't speak for everyone but I never bought a jersey from the Jags that I didn't like. I'd go grab an old vintage Jag Jersey or rep an old one.

You can do modern without making the numbers gradient/making them too loud too.

2 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Because people love vintage/clean looks, as you can see in this thread or the perception of the Rams and Falcons jerseys since coming out.

Can't speak for everyone but I never bought a jersey from the Jags that I didn't like. I'd go grab an old vintage Jag Jersey or rep an old one.

You can do modern without making the numbers gradient/making them too loud too.

Based off of Twitter and people I've talked to, a lot of jerseys are being sold. Not everyone feels like you do. A lot want whatever is new or current. A lot want to wear the same thing their team does that season. I personally agree with you that people love vintage and clean looks, and while I'll probably be sticking to throwback jerseys, you can't just dismiss the amount of money a jersey change makes. 

1 hour ago, JonStark said:

Based off of Twitter and people I've talked to, a lot of jerseys are being sold. Not everyone feels like you do. A lot want whatever is new or current. A lot want to wear the same thing their team does that season. I personally agree with you that people love vintage and clean looks, and while I'll probably be sticking to throwback jerseys, you can't just dismiss the amount of money a jersey change makes. 

It would definitely make for an interesting case study. How much $ is generated from a new jersey who some/the majority feel isn't as good vs. $ from the regular jersey who some/the majority feel is superior.

Talking from personal experience with other sports I like, I have purchased retro jerseys over the current one's I like to a lesser extent.

7 hours ago, JonStark said:

Mainly because of the Nike partnership. I was listening to a Rams podcast that basically said the Rams and Falcons were the first two to completely revamp their primaries since the NFL and Nike came together, and somehow those are the only two that took the jerseys in a completely different way. I don't think it's outlandish to say that more teams will follow in the coming years.

That being said, they'll still probably look a little better than ours, but I really think that's because of the teams mindset of taking the team to the LA theme. I don't think all of the new additions are going to be limited to just the Rams. 

So of the 7 new jerseys unveiled this offseason, 2 have been "futuristic" as we're calling them, and you're led to believe that's an indication of some grand plan from the NFL rather than these two franchises making desperate attempts at appealing to younger fans? 

4 minutes ago, SaveOurSonics said:

So of the 7 new jerseys unveiled this offseason, 2 have been "futuristic" as we're calling them, and you're led to believe that's an indication of some grand plan from the NFL rather than these two franchises making desperate attempts at appealing to younger fans? 

NY Jets in 2019. Jacksonville Jaguars updates I believe would classify. Seahawks have lime green alternates. Unless gradient is just a synonym for "futuristic".

3 minutes ago, SaveOurSonics said:

I'm not really sure what point you're making. 

More than 2 teams have been given the "futuristic" look. It's being tried more often each year and didn't start with the Rams and the Falcons.

Unless "futuristic" is another word for gradient. In which case, sampled with Jacksonville a few years ago and now yes, this is the first attempt at futuristic jerseys.

9 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

More than 2 teams have been given the "futuristic" look. It's being tried more often each year and didn't start with the Rams and the Falcons.

I'm pretty sure I said "this offseason". My point was that, of the most recent round of jersey updates, only 2 of 7 went for an atypical design. That hardly seems like a pattern to assume the NFL is pushing an agenda. 

On 5/15/2020 at 4:35 PM, SaveOurSonics said:

There have not been 7 new jerseys. There have been two that have completely revamped their jerseys (Rams and Falcons) and the rest who just updated what they had.